Restart WAN without restarting router

Mohit Sharrma

Hi team,

Anyone knows a way to perform a restart on the WAN interface without restarting entire router(R2). Essentially performing a Shut/No Shut on the WAN interface in order to force WAN to disconnect and reconnect.

Maybe via CLI or any other method ?

7 minutes ago, Mohit Sharrma said:

Hi team,

Anyone knows a way to perform a restart on the WAN interface without restarting entire router(R2). Essentially performing a Shut/No Shut on the WAN interface in order to force WAN to disconnect and reconnect.

It's not possible currently I'm afraid, what's the reason for needing to do this?

On 10/18/2021 at 10:52 AM, Mohit Sharrma said:

Hi team,

On 10/18/2021 at 11:00 AM, Netduma Liam said:

It's not possible currently I'm afraid, what's the reason for needing to do this?

Are you running a server or gaming server on your network? But basically no not really possible with any Netduma devices currently.. maybe try using a different device for that? 

On 10/18/2021 at 9:30 PM, Netduma Liam said:

I usually have to reset my WAN interface whenever there is a network outage from my ISP in order to reconnect and have to restart the router to do that, but that makes all my local services like Plex and RDP to go down as well.
ASUS routers have a Enable/Disable switch for the internet(which basically bounces the WAN port), may be this can be added as a feature in future releases that allows the user to bounce(disable/enable) the WAN without restarting the router.

On 10/21/2021 at 12:25 PM, zman1156 said:

Are you running a server or gaming server on your network? But basically no not really possible with any Netduma devices currently.. maybe try using a different device for that? 

If i use a different device as a PPPoE host to connect to internet and use Netduma R2 as a bridge, will that allow me to use Netduma Features like GeoFilter etc, i really doubt that it would be the case. Can you please confirm that @Netduma Liam ?

1 hour ago, Mohit Sharrma said:

I usually have to reset my WAN interface whenever there is a network outage from my ISP in order to reconnect and have to restart the router to do that, but that makes all my local services like Plex and RDP to go down as well.
ASUS routers have a Enable/Disable switch for the internet(which basically bounces the WAN port), may be this can be added as a feature in future releases that allows the user to bounce(disable/enable) the WAN without restarting the router.

Cool idea! In the mean time you could probably just unplug the WAN cable and reconnect it again? Unfortunately there isn't a bridge mode currently available on the R2.

• 10 months later...

Hey Liam,

It's been long since this top, we have moved forward to newers firmwares, i would really like to request a WAN Connect/Disconnect toggle, i know i can unplug the WAN port and plug it back it but them means to physically go to the router.

As i said earlier my Asus Router has that feature and so does my generic cheapo ISP router that i am using as a bridge now in front of my R2.

If there is a list of features that you guys are looking into, please add this one too :)

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Mohit Sharrma said:

Hey Liam,

It's been long since this top, we have moved forward to newers firmwares, i would really like to request a WAN Connect/Disconnect toggle, i know i can unplug the WAN port and plug it back it but them means to physically go to the router.

As i said earlier my Asus Router has that feature and so does my generic cheapo ISP router that i am using as a bridge now in front of my R2.

If there is a list of features that you guys are looking into, please add this one too :)

Thanks for the feedback, we'll add it to the list to be potentially added in future!

• 1 year later...