XR300 update

Aqua

I know the obvious answer will be - depends on netgear but, is there any chance any time soon you guys will be making update to OS for this.

I literally bought it couple weeks ago and thought it was a recent enough router to be looked after.

However, to be stuck on the latest firmware which is a LONG way off 0S 3 is kinda sad and frustrating as well as simply not even allowing the device to work properly. Its in a a sorry state of not fit for purpose. Also had devices which cant delete - seem to think online when offline. Connected to internet showing as disconnected. Actual internet problems that could not resolve until I fully unplugged and put in my old vodafone router which is beyond sad to have to do. There is so much missing from this OS and so much simply not working and buggy... I dont understand how netgear control what goes on the router when its you guys who own and do the OS itself - it should be you guys who are making the OS available for all and not being told by Netgear to not bother simply due to them wanting us all to upgrade to get them more money on another router that still uses DumaOS... this is kinda BS even if its becoming standard practice these days to just accept and upgrade although nothing wrong with fixing new firmware to work with these devices and at end of day it is YOUR OS am I right and not Netgear? So should it not be down to you to fix the OS for any devices you have it on?
I mean without the BS... is there any point it may get upgraded or are us xR300 just flogging a dead horse at this point and complaining for nothing - I read things like - no info or wait etc. but, how long... really?

Im actually scared to plug it back in and go through the mess I had but, I bought it thinking an upgrade to standard ISP router especially if geo filter worked correctly but, that seems fruitless as now told it not really count for the games I play. Had hoped to get in to world on my own with a friend as allowed but, cant do polygonal selections. Adding friend manually is not actually correct as told maybe it a node or the server from which the friend is on - and tested - so when he joins it allows others from his location/server too... I want to simply be ALONE and have HIM ONLY - not rest of lobby he may be attached to. Also did where add to party chat and add from there but, location of friend is MA - USA... but, shows up in various different states and even France or Netherlands on geo-filter map... then told - oh its not correct just a visual aid... so if its not correct then what is the point? Why have an inaccurate map? Also if not even accurate how supposed to filter things out if they are actually outside filter range but, appearing on map inside that range... its kinda crazy mind blowing.

I feel like somethig I thought was going to be great due to the hype around this is somehow still some amateur led group in beta stage of developing an OS? 

I mean have I simply just wasted my money and will never get a fixed OS for my product so may as well just go back to my ISP router with a lesson learnt and out of pocket or is there any hope anytime soon the XR300 will get fixed and updated?

Welcome to the forum!

The reason for the long delay in firmwares is due to a lot of improvements we've been making internally here at Netduma. We've been working on a new build system as well as a new system for testing. Both of these are far more automated, meaning a firmware can be built automatically as soon as a developer commits a new feature or change, it can then be sent straight through an automated testing process to check if it's then going to be passed on to the testing team. They're both massive projects but they're almost fully implemented and are now in production.

The issue with the XR300 is that it's an older router, and as such it's using quite different hardware to the rest of the range. This means we need to find a way to port DumaOS 3.0 over to the older hardware which is quite a big task. It requires both ourselves and Netgear to work together as there will be input needed from both sides. We've discussed this with them and we're confident that if there's any way it can be done, we'll do it. As for an ETA, we're working on using the new systems to build firmwares for our current DumaOS 3.0 routers while we're finalising their implementation. After this we'll then take to tackling the XR300. Due to this, I can't really provide an ETA as there's too many variables at play, but rest assured we're working on it and we have not given up on it.

To address your concerns with Geo-filter, are you playing Destiny? If so, they've changed their matchmaking system to a server based system using Steam's SDR infrastructure. As such, it's no longer possible to filter other players out of your game to ensure you're only playing with friends.

4 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Welcome to the forum!

The reason for the long delay in firmwares is due to a lot of improvements we've been making internally here at Netduma. We've been working on a new build system as well as a new system for testing. Both of these are far more automated, meaning a firmware can be built automatically as soon as a developer commits a new feature or change, it can then be sent straight through an automated testing process to check if it's then going to be passed on to the testing team. They're both massive projects but they're almost fully implemented and are now in production.

You should post this where everyone can see it!

I also recommend making a YouTube video.

Everybody's been wondering what's taking so long when it comes to all DumaOS routers.

If everybody knew the reason at least most people will feel like you're listening to the community and trying to improve.

It might also help when it comes to everyone asking about each individual DumaOS router.

For me I was wondering about what was taking so long for the R2.

This explanation makes me feel a much better about what's been taking so long. 

Unfortunately I had to search for this in an area of the forums I normally don't participate in.

That shouldn't be the case.

Broader community communication is something you guys need to work on.

I'm personally excited for this new process and I hope it works out for the best.

43 minutes ago, KindaBusted said:

You should post this where everyone can see it!

I also recommend making a YouTube video.

Everybody's been wondering what's taking so long when it comes to all DumaOS routers.

If everybody knew the reason at least most people will feel like you're listening to the community and trying to improve.

It might also help when it comes to everyone asking about each individual DumaOS router.

For me I was wondering about what was taking so long for the R2.

This explanation makes me feel a much better about what's been taking so long. 

Unfortunately I had to search for this in an area of the forums I normally don't participate in.

That shouldn't be the case.

Broader community communication is something you guys need to work on.

I'm personally excited for this new process and I hope it works out for the best.

We're planning on it! I discussed this with the team the other day, we're essentially planning on giving much more insight into where we are with firmware's and at what stage of the process things are. We get that it otherwise just seems like we're not doing anything.