Significantly Lowering Your MTU Reduce Upload Latency in COD (WZ/MW/CW)?

East

I found these post by Piplowe very intriguing.  I thought it was a good idea to separate this suggestion into it's own thread to see if those having problems with hit rego, twitch movement and overall responsiveness notice a difference or not when lowering MTU  from 600-750 or so?

Please Note:

Lowering MTU won't be a fix for everyone.  If you are not having much of an issue I doubt this will improve anything.  IMO, this might make things worst.  Furthermore, lowering MTU like this could have adverse effects in other online activities like streaming, etc. Use at your own risk.  Even if it works you may need to revert back to 1500 for other online activities.

17 hours ago, Seye said:

I managed to get mine down from 305 to 20ms, what other settings you recommend ? I have Geo filter on, Congestion control always.

No other settings really.  It will all depend on how your account is setup for sbmm and eomm.  Some matches everything is fine.  You get a 4.0k/d to 5.0 k/d juking every opponent with an mp5.  A few matches later...Your teammates are backing out leaving you and 2 others to fight off 6 opponents. As you look at the scoreboard to find out why you are getting spawn trapped!

If you can lower upload latency to at least get a better playing experience then this should help a few out there.  However, I would test it more then once during the day to make sure it's not your actual connection.  If it's consistent then you know it's working.

I will say this, as it goes to why I created this thread with Piplowe's suggestions, from my experience it's the upload (AKA packets sent in a timely fashion) that is most important in FPS online gaming. 

I noticed the first time using it it helped massively, then leaving it meant netflix etc was abit rubbish. Turned it back to 1500 then when going back to 680 it didnt work as well second time. 

Going to run that website test thing to see if a different figure would give a different outcome. 

Lowering MTU is a trick from the old days, generally it was done on very weak upload connections.

if you think about latency, latency is a function of bandwidth. If a full Ethernet frame is beeing sent and your game packet is waiting for that. Say you have 1mbit upload, 1500 bytes takes 0,012s to send. Cutting your MTU to 750 here will take only 0,006s to send. However now you are on gigabit upload, the same Ethernet frame takes 0,000012s to send, 750 would take 0,000006s to send, aka trivial.

downside is that the cpu on your gateway / modem needs to process a lot more and becomes a bottleneck in some cases. This is why running torrents and VPN is so bad on the Intel Puma series. The CPUs collapse under so many small packets.

7 hours ago, Sgt-Greco said:

Please someone explain how fragmented packets are beneficial towards online gaming.

At a guess, for those of you that found this to work, is that even though the packet is still fragmented it's still getting to the server faster. The way COD handles packets is just enough to register what's needed.  While tricks like Interpolation, etc does the rest.  

Furthermore, we have to determine if this is working on COD CW core game or are we talking about WZ? Because both handle packets differently.