Are the backups interchangeable on different routers?

AsNCo

Hi guys.

So my R2 is currently on the way. So my current plan is to use the R2 as a router while I will use the XR500 as an Access Point for WiFi. What I would like to know is since I got too many custom static IP addresses for so many devices, is it possible for me to just upload the backup of the XR500 over to the R2? Will it have any issues? Because after all, the OS is the same, so by right, the same backup can be used on different devices.

Hoping to get a good outcome for this. Looking forward to your reply. Thanks again Netduma Team.

From your Netduma R1 supporter till now. 😊

1 hour ago, AsNCo said:

Hi guys.

So my R2 is currently on the way. So my current plan is to use the R2 as a router while I will use the XR500 as an Access Point for WiFi. What I would like to know is since I got too many custom static IP addresses for so many devices, is it possible for me to just upload the backup of the XR500 over to the R2? Will it have any issues? Because after all, the OS is the same, so by right, the same backup can be used on different devices.

Hoping to get a good outcome for this. Looking forward to your reply. Thanks again Netduma Team.

From your Netduma R1 supporter till now. 😊

I'm afraid you won't be able to do this, while the OS is similar on the frontend, there's quite a lot different from a backend perspective. You could probably use the same Device list from Device Manager and upload this, however it won't carry over the addressing.

Thanks for the help earlier. I've managed to set up my R2 with the XR500 being the Access Point. However, now I realize that all the wireless devices that are connected to the XR500 are being named as LAN. Thus, I won't be able to tell if they are connected via the 2.4GHz network or the 5GHz one. Is there any way to overcome this? Or am I stuck with all devices being seen as LAN? This was not a problem when the XR500 had to work with the Netgear EX8000 Extender.

Also second point, I see no option to backup my settings. Is there an Admin part of the router page that I can access to gain me the same privileges that the XR500 has? Iirc, my R1 had this option to give me more administrative features that I can access.

If this is not the optimal route, any suggestion on the optimal layout for using both of these devices?

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, AsNCo said:

Thanks for the help earlier. I've managed to set up my R2 with the XR500 being the Access Point. However, now I realize that all the wireless devices that are connected to the XR500 are being named as LAN. Thus, I won't be able to tell if they are connected via the 2.4GHz network or the 5GHz one. Is there any way to overcome this? Or am I stuck with all devices being seen as LAN? This was not a problem when the XR500 had to work with the Netgear EX8000 Extender.

Also second point, I see no option to backup my settings. Is there an Admin part of the router page that I can access to gain me the same privileges that the XR500 has? Iirc, my R1 had this option to give me more administrative features that I can access.

If this is not the optimal route, any suggestion on the optimal layout for using both of these devices?

An extender extends the range of the existing WiFi compared with an AP which is another WiFi network. As the XR is connected via ethernet to the R2 but is transparent to the router it sees any devices connected to the AP as LAN devices. Only way to get around it is with an extender. 

There is currently no backup options for the R2. The R1 old firmware is completely different from DumaOS so not all features made it over, the XR routers use Netgear settings so the R1 and R2 on DumaOS use our own settings.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

An extender extends the range of the existing WiFi compared with an AP which is another WiFi network. As the XR is connected via ethernet to the R2 but is transparent to the router it sees any devices connected to the AP as LAN devices. Only way to get around it is with an extender. 

There is currently no backup options for the R2. The R1 old firmware is completely different from DumaOS so not all features made it over, the XR routers use Netgear settings so the R1 and R2 on DumaOS use our own settings.

One more question. Any way to turn off the LEDs or at least stop it from flickering on the R2?
Also, any way to access the Setup Wizard again without Resetting?

• Administrators
38 minutes ago, AsNCo said:

One more question. Any way to turn off the LEDs or at least stop it from flickering on the R2?
Also, any way to access the Setup Wizard again without Resetting?

No way to turn off the LEDs currently but that has been requested so its on our list to add in the future. Can't access the setup wizard without a reset either, what's the use case for wanting that out of interest?

On 9/7/2021 at 12:29 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

No way to turn off the LEDs currently but that has been requested so its on our list to add in the future. Can't access the setup wizard without a reset either, what's the use case for wanting that out of interest?

Nice option to have a guide in redoing the Wan settings and all without deleting the entire static IP addresses of devices in the process of maybe changing an ISP for example.

- Nevertheless, I notice that I can't get the full 940+Mbps on this router. I am hovering around 890Mbps. I tried turning on and off QOS. Not that much improvement. It will hover around 900Mbps. Similarly, Adblocker, turning it off guarantees that the speed will run around 920Mbps
Is this because of a weaker CPU on the R2 when compared against the the XR500 or is Adblocker or some other app in the OS slowing the speed down?

- Does the XR1000 have the Adblocker feature?

• Administrators

What WAN Settings in particular? Not much is changed during the setup wizard in that regard. I think that will be the max you'll get, with most routers and those that have 1000Mbps I normally see them get around 950 due to the extra processing a router does compare to the modem. Add on a full feature set that inspects packets and that would account for the 30. 

No the 1000 does not currently have the Adblocker, only the R2 at this time.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok... So recently, I've been encountering 2 annoying issues.

1) Adblock randomly turns off when I turn off the router for around 10 minutes. Note that I say randomly and doesn't happen all the time. But it has happened quite a few times in just 1 week of using it. Also, all device statuses in Adblock will be reset. Meaning I will have to manually disable devices that I don't want Adblock to run on.

2) My PC that is wired directly to the R2 has some weird issues where my download speeds drop even further. All the way down to 700Mbps.
When I shut off the router for a while and turn it back on, sometimes, I can get the speeds back up to 890Mbps. But that's when I noticed that Adblock also turns off and I have to manually disable the devices that I don't want it to run on and again, turn on Adblock. But when I enable Adblock, my speeds drop back down to 700Mbps.
Is this a bug, I hope there's a solution to fix this. I am fine with losing 50Mbps but 250Mbps is almost the equivalent of me getting a lower tier Fibre broadband plan.
Note that in the years since I owned the XR500, there was never even once do I have a situation where my Speedtest speeds will drop below 900Mbps. So only to experience this with the R2 is frustrating none the least. I hope that it can be fixed.

• Administrators
  1. This kind of makes sense, pulling the plug can sort of reset certain aspects, that's why doing a reboot from the interface is best as it acts as a hard save of sorts. I suspect if you rebooted from the interface, waited 2 minutes then unplugged the router that it would have saved every time you go back to check. I do understand that's not the most ideal of situations.
  2. Well with Adblock you're literally analyzing the traffic all the time to see whether something needs to be blocked or not rather than passing it straight through so that will cause a bit of a delay and cause speeds to be lowered, I'm not sure there is anything we can do about that given it has to use DPI. As the XR doesn't have Adblock it doesn't need to analyze all the traffic and therefore no delay is caused. The speed could be improved potentially by disabling it for more devices.