R2 has started capping my speed at 90 down

Ashkan Phenom

Hi

I have a 500 down 100 up connection and used to have a R1 router thar would cap my download speed at 90 randomly, so i decided to upgrade to R2. 

The R2 fixed the issue and I was getting 480 down 98 up all the time.

Untill 2 days ago that the same issue started  and my speed keeps getting capped at 90 down and 98 up.

R2 is connected to a Netis router.

So far I have checked all cables to make sure they are not faulty, reset R2 to factory, reboot many times, hard reset r2 using the reset hole at the back of it, turned modem, router and r2 off and on.

I rebooted the Netis router through the gateway and it fixed the issue but after 10 mins the speed got capped at 90 again. 

This happens regardless of QOS being enabled or disabled.

And I cant find a reason to tell my ISP to change my Netis router cause if i connect a cable directly from that to my PC, the speed will be fine.

At this point I dunno what to do, any help would be appreciated.

log-1630306209674.txt

12 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Can you provide a screenshot of the R2 Device Manager table view please? What does Connection Benchmark say your speeds are? Do speeds appear to be capped on WiFi as well as ethernet?

speeds are capped on both wifi and ethernet.

table.jpg

benchmark.jpg

speedtest.jpg

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thank you for that, okay so the problem is the ethernet cable connecting the R2 to the modem is capped at 100Mbits hence the limit you're seeing. Replace this with another cable that's at least Cat5e and it should be resolved.

Im using a cat 6 cable, changed to another one and now it shows 1000 Mbits and the download speed is back to 480 now, however when I use a cable tester on the old cable it shows there is nothing wrong with the cable. 

thanks alot for the help

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Ashkan Phenom said:

Im using a cat 6 cable, changed to another one and now it shows 1000 Mbits and the download speed is back to 480 now, however when I use a cable tester on the old cable it shows there is nothing wrong with the cable. 

thanks alot for the help

Glad to hear it's working now! That is odd, maybe a lose connection in the port, could be a variety of things

18 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Glad to hear it's working now! That is odd, maybe a lose connection in the port, could be a variety of things

Ok so for a while speed was fine but now Its getting capped at 120 Mbps. This happens regardless of QOS being enabled or disabled.

Both wifi and ethernet are now capped at 120. 

Checked the connections and theyre all on 1000 Mbits.

When I reboot the duma through the interface, the issue goes away but some how comes back.

Not sure whats causing this.

3 hours ago, Ashkan Phenom said:

Ok so for a while speed was fine but now Its getting capped at 120 Mbps. This happens regardless of QOS being enabled or disabled.

Both wifi and ethernet are now capped at 120. 

Checked the connections and theyre all on 1000 Mbits.

When I reboot the duma through the interface, the issue goes away but some how comes back.

Not sure whats causing this.

That's interesting, do you notice this happening after a particular amount of time or when a certain type of traffic is generated e.g. playing a game?

Next time you notice the speeds drop, could you grab a log file from System Information and send it over to us?

8 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

That's interesting, do you notice this happening after a particular amount of time or when a certain type of traffic is generated e.g. playing a game?

Next time you notice the speeds drop, could you grab a log file from System Information and send it over to us?

Not really, its very random.

Although I was on the latest firmware, I decided to reinstall it and now for the past 2 hours it seems to be working properly.

Will report with a log file if it happens again.

Thanks

38 minutes ago, Ashkan Phenom said:

Not really, its very random.

Although I was on the latest firmware, I decided to reinstall it and now for the past 2 hours it seems to be working properly.

Will report with a log file if it happens again.

Thanks

OK that's interesting, please do let us know how you get on :)