R2 loses all connection periodically, requires unplug

The0dark0one

Hi all, I have a similar problem to some other threads that I’ve read here. I will lose internet connection via WiFi and Ethernet, and I will no longer be able to access the interface. This requires me to unplug and replug the router. I’ve had to do this on average once every 3 days for at least the past 4 months. I started tracking it, but I no longer see the point:

Router crashes

5/17/21 12:30 pm
5/18/21 9:40 pm
5/19/21 8:00 pm
5/19/21 8:35 pm
5/26/21 10:30 pm
6/5/21 1:03 pm
6/8/21 8:23 am
6/8/21 10:05 am
6/11/21 7:20 am
6/15/21 ??
6/19/21 10:30 pm
6/22/21 8:40 am
7/6/21 11:55 am
7/13/21 1:25 pm
7/13/21 10:52 pm
7/14/21 11:25 am
7/20/21 2:31 pm
7/20/21 11:32 pm
7/25/21 2:05 pm
7/30/21 5:54 pm
8/1/21 9:25 am
8/4/21 8:06 pm
(this is when I stopped tracking it. The larger gaps you see are when I went on vacation)

I’ve been patiently waiting for a firmware update but my wife has lost her patience. I would like to downgrade firmwares to one that doesn’t crash. I don’t care anymore about features, I just want a router that works.

Could anyone suggest a version number?

Sincerely,
An R1 and R2 customer

(Maybe I should go back to the R1?)

Hi Fraser,

I followed your steps and I can now report back that it crashed again sometime this morning. I went to sleep last night and it was working fine, then when I awoke this morning it was in a similar situation and needed to be rebooted. So just like before, my wireless devices were connected but no longer had internet. My ethernet devices no longer had internet and couldn't access the interface. As a matter of fact, I did ipconfig on my PC while it was in this state, this is what it said:

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::7c4a:c10e:cb72:fdc5%12
   Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.253.197
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

So it looks like the router just decides to stop assigning IP addresses or something?

-The0dark0one

• Administrators

Okay that IP definitely indicates you'll need to factory reset to get that up and running again. What is the ISP modem/router model you have? Wondering if your public IP/R2 WAN IP is changing and potentially causing it to happen for some reason

I never have to factory reset for it to work again. I just unplugged it, and replugged it, then it works fine. The modem is an Arris WBM760, pretty old, but still works great. I will write down my public IP address, and if it crashes again, I will see if the IP address changes.

I am having this exact same issue. Should I open a new thread for it or can we look through it here?

I have IPV6 disabled on both routers, the R2 is in the DMZ of the ISP router and all IP addresses of all devices connected to the R2 are set as static.The R2 is running the 3.0.205 firmware.

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, looney3331 said:

I am having this exact same issue. Should I open a new thread for it or can we look through it here?

I have IPV6 disabled on both routers, the R2 is in the DMZ of the ISP router and all IP addresses of all devices connected to the R2 are set as static.The R2 is running the 3.0.205 firmware.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

If you could start a new topic that would be best yes. I've sent you a PM, if it still happens after that make a new topic please

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

The router went about 2 weeks without crashing, which definitely seems like an improvement. I noted the public IP addresses before and after. It does appear that the public IPv6 changed before and after. I don't know much about IPv6 addresses but the first 4 sets of numbers were the same as before and the last 4 sets were different. I'm going to try disabling IPv6 and seeing if it crashes again in the future.

7 hours ago, The0dark0one said:

Hi again,

The router went about 2 weeks without crashing, which definitely seems like an improvement. I noted the public IP addresses before and after. It does appear that the public IPv6 changed before and after. I don't know much about IPv6 addresses but the first 4 sets of numbers were the same as before and the last 4 sets were different. I'm going to try disabling IPv6 and seeing if it crashes again in the future.

OK sure, that's what I would suggest as the next troubleshooting step too, let us know how you get on!

9 hours ago, The0dark0one said:

Ok, I'm back again. It has just crashed again while IPv6 was disabled.  Any other troubleshooting steps?

Are/were you able to connect to the interface when it's down? If so, could you grab a log file from System Information and send it over?

I can’t access the interface at all when it’s down. I think I’m having the same issue as the following people:

Each of them and myself seem to lose internet over all their devices and they can no longer access the R2 via 192.168.77.1. It sounds like you could attempt remote logging on my device?

19 hours ago, The0dark0one said:

Ok I just enabled remote support about 5 minutes ago, shortly after a crash and reboot.

EDIT: it just crashed about 10 minutes later, that was fast. I’m going to reboot it now so I can get my internet back.

Hey, we've just upgraded your unit from the backend to another hotfix firmware. It will require you to run through the initial setup again, could you please let us know if you still have issues after this?

10 hours ago, The0dark0one said:

It worked from Thursday until 5 minutes ago.  That being said, I left IPv6 enabled this time. Would you like me to disable IPv6 and try it again?

OK yes please do disable IPv6 again and let me know. Are you now able to access the interface again when it disconnects?

Ok, it just crashed again about 20 minutes ago, same thing.

I’m starting to consider what somebody in another thread mentioned: YouTube on my iPhone. Someone mentioned they noticed that would tend to crash it. I know it doesn’t crash it 100% of the time, but perhaps 100% of the crashes occur, when I load a new video on YouTube on my iPhone? I will try to collect more data about what I was doing when the crashes happen.

Do you have any more steps to try?

• Administrators

Okay that's interesting, there has been a few reports of this so I think perhaps enabling some more logs on the router to collect information when the issue happens could be beneficial. Could you make the router accessible by enabling remote support in WAN, disable IPv6 in LAN/WAN and ensure R2 is in DMZ of the modem if applicable and let us know when you've done that please.