Second router.

GBDJG

Hi.

I currently have a netgear setup as a access point wired to my R2 so everything connected to the is controlled by the R2 is there a way to not have the Netgear in AP mode but with net and with devices running through it.

As in device manager i would to be able to block/unblock just the netgear with the other devices rather that getting a physical switch to turn off the whole AP

The way you have it connected now, as AP, creates a bridge to the switch ports as well, so it becomes pass through.

If you put it back in router mode, your R2 should see it as 1 device. But you will have double NAT on the devices behind the R2. You can possibly solve this by putting it in DMZ on the R2 if it has this option.

It does create some hassles, like the devices behind the Netgear device can talk to devices on your network, but you won't be able to have your R2 network able to talk to devices behind the Netgear router due to it's firewall beeing active.

So on the second router set static ip then disable dchp and it works like a repeater? Or is that in effect just a AP?

It may just be easier to pull the lan cable every now and  then.

If you turn off NAT on the NG router it will probably just become pass through again, so you are in the same situation as having it in AP mode.

If you set it in router mode you need to keep DHCP active as you need something to give the devices behind the NG a IP adress. Also you might want to change the subnet.

So for Example:

R2 = 192.168.77.1 for IP

NG = 192.168.1.1 for IP

Normally most routers have 192.168.1.1 for default and they would bite eachother, but since R2 has 192.168.77.1 it should be ok.

Thank you Bert for you help but the double Nat sounds like a killer for me it would be perfect other wise. DMZ maybe the way.

How  can you tell if there is a double NAT?

With regards to change subnet 255.255.255.0 to 240.240.240.0?

I dont know much. sorry

You see with this setup i could allow the NG a set amount of bandwidth for its devices and the one device control. 

2 hours ago, GBDJG said:

Thank you Bert for you help but the double Nat sounds like a killer for me it would be perfect other wise. DMZ maybe the way.

How  can you tell if there is a double NAT?

With regards to change subnet 255.255.255.0 to 240.240.240.0?

I dont know much. sorry

You see with this setup i could allow the NG a set amount of bandwidth for its devices and the one device control. 

No both need to stay 255.255.255.0

That tells your router what area of the IP to use for routing.

You need to change the second octet of the router's IP.

So for example:

etc.

Double NAT you can tell either in game or if you use two routers without DMZ you know it's going to happen.