Really bad intermittent issues

Stephenmd

For the past 24 hours ive had period intermittent internet issues. Ive called my isp to see if it’s outages and it isn’t. On their end everything looks good. I realized it’s coming from the r2 because my google wifi and modem stay in the proper state when when internet goes down. I’m running firmwar 3.0.205. Any help? 

• Administrators

What is the modem/router model the R2 is connected to? Do you notice it on wireless/wired devices or both? Does the internet restore itself and if so how long does that take or what do you need to do to restore the internet?

Spectrum ISP > Motorola E31U2V1 > Netduma R2.

the issue is on both wireless and wired devices, they’ll stay connected to the network but have no internet. 

no the internet doesn’t restore itself, I have to manually power off the r2 & wait a few moments for it to come back. After 5-10 minutes, it drops again.

• Administrators

You can't access the interface on that particular model is that right? Can you access the interface when this happens? If so can you grab a log when it occurs and post it here?

I suspect it has something to do with your public IP changing frequently, from what I can see its changed at least 3 times within the hour you posted this

• Administrators

Thanks for that, please do the following, switch to use upstream DNS, not the custom you're using, then also on WAN Settings disable the protection options. On the System Information page go to the Rapp panel options, change the retries to 5, then reboot the router from the interface, wait 2 minutes before accessing or connecting and see if it is better.

Where are you checking the NAT status in game or on the console? Are you using DMZ, UPnP, port forwarding?

• Administrators

Great to hear that! Does the console NAT show open? The in game one can be a misreading caused by the Geo-Filter, you can disable the Geo-Filter before loading up the game to confirm this, if it shows open then you can ignore it if it says moderate again

log-1629249009885.txtlog-1629253642610.txt

these are my logs for the issues

the one ending 610 is the most recent one from last night after various drops.

i had to switch up my network last night because of these issues so im currently at spectrum ISP > Motorola E31U2V1(cant access any settings for this modem) > google wifi puck 1 > switch > google wifi puck 2 > switch > netduma r2

where would i include the r2? i used to have it as spectrum ISP > Motorola E31U2V1(cant access any settings for this modem) > Netduma r2 > google wifi puck 1 > switch > google wifi puck 2 > switch but i had to change due to the issues. maybe theres an ideal way especially with my modem and the google wifis.

@Netduma Liam @Netduma Fraser

• Administrators

Thank you for the logs, we've sent them over to a dev. Since you've changed the setup have you encountered the issue again? It's possible the changing of your public IP is causing the disconnect so if it is then the setup you have now should reduce the issue. Ideally the R2 would be directly behind the modem but obviously not viable for you at the moment. 

• Administrators

Could be what I mentioned then. It really depends how you have your devices connected, I assume you have devices connected to the pucks, in which case QoS will work but it won't be as effective. The Geo-Filter will still work fine. Are the switches managed or unmanaged? You could do modem > puck 1 > R2 > switch > puck 2 > switch and then the R2 would be more effective for QoS if you connect minimal devices to puck 1

45 minutes ago, Stephenmd said:

to be honest since i made the change last night, i havent had any issues. i lose out on features because of the way its set up now though right?

We'll be diving into the logs you've sent tomorrow so we'll let you know what we find. 

Out of interest, how many devices roughly are connected to the R2?

If you set these devices to have a static IP and DNS server, do the disconnections still occur? You would need to do this from the devices themselves (from Windows, for example), so if you've got a lot connected I can see that this may be too inconvenient.

If you want to give it a go, just set DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 9.9.9.9 for example, unless you've got a particular preference.

so on the r2 itself i have my xbox, my streaming pc, & my gaming pc. the way it was set up before i also had the google wifi puck 2 in it. @Netduma Liam the devices all had static ips except for the google wifi.

the reason why i have it set up how i do with all the switches (theyre unmanaged btw) is because each puck only has two ports and i have one in my office and one in my bedroom so everything is wired but i have to have a switch to be able to connect multiple devices... just to give you guys an idea, i have 3 pcs in my office and 2 pcs and an xbox and ps4 in the bedroom, the amount of wifi devices is about 15-20. i have 1000 download and 40 upload internet speeds. 

im actually looking for a way where i can have the mesh setup but also have my r2 for my gaming and reduce the switches but id have to change the google wifis

no wireless devices are connected to the R2 (just xbox & two pcs hard wired), wifi is turned off on it. everything else that hardwired are via the switches which are connected to the pucks. all wireless devices connect to the google wifi pucks