A question about MAC cloning between two routers

headstruck

Hey! A new R2 owner here coming from a previous experience with an XR1000.

I'm currently looking into AP mode with the R2 but I don't think that's what I'd like to do, and the recommended solution to this is to run the XR1000 in AP mode and have the R2 right in line next to the modem since AP mode isn't currently supported with it.

The issue is that, with my work and hobbies that depend on a static IP (and given that my ISP assigns IPs based on router MAC addresses), would I be able to have this recommended setup and still be able to keep the same WAN IP if I clone the XR1000's MAC address on the R2 and swap them around, as well as running the XR1000 in AP mode?

The goal here is to run the R2 in its intended mode, with the XR1000 acting as an AP with Wi-Fi 6 capability, while still keeping the same WAN IP that was assigned with the XR1000 by my ISP.

The R2 feels far more responsive in comparison to the XR1000 and the UI is a lot cleaner, so thanks for those improvements ;)

Let me know if this can be done, and if there's any other configuration/setups you have in mind that might better-suit my situation. Thanks!

9 hours ago, headstruck said:

Hey! A new R2 owner here coming from a previous experience with an XR1000.

I'm currently looking into AP mode with the R2 but I don't think that's what I'd like to do, and the recommended solution to this is to run the XR1000 in AP mode and have the R2 right in line next to the modem since AP mode isn't currently supported with it.

The issue is that, with my work and hobbies that depend on a static IP (and given that my ISP assigns IPs based on router MAC addresses), would I be able to have this recommended setup and still be able to keep the same WAN IP if I clone the XR1000's MAC address on the R2 and swap them around, as well as running the XR1000 in AP mode?

The goal here is to run the R2 in its intended mode, with the XR1000 acting as an AP with Wi-Fi 6 capability, while still keeping the same WAN IP that was assigned with the XR1000 by my ISP.

The R2 feels far more responsive in comparison to the XR1000 and the UI is a lot cleaner, so thanks for those improvements ;)

Let me know if this can be done, and if there's any other configuration/setups you have in mind that might better-suit my situation. Thanks!

Thanks for picking up an R2!

Yeah you can give the R2 the XR1000s MAC address, that shouldn't be a problem.

Then you can run the XR1000 in AP mode and it will simply by an extender so shouldn't cause any issues!

6 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Thanks for picking up an R2!

Yeah you can give the R2 the XR1000s MAC address, that shouldn't be a problem.

Then you can run the XR1000 in AP mode and it will simply by an extender so shouldn't cause any issues!

Would the MAC address listed next to "Use this MAC address" be the one I'd like to use from the XR1000 interface?

image.thumb.png.169e066d32666110531a4d4581d65ecf.png