Really Need Support...

XR1000...
I got to be honest...I'm extremely upset and at my wits end with this router. I browse this forum constantly for hope of some fixes...some stability...SOMETHING! But nothing. I get it, Covid has made some serious impacts to development and support. But at what point do we make some sort of news update or hint at progress. When you guys started dropping hints that OS 3.0 was coming...that was good. That was helpful to know something was being done. But lately? All I've seen is "we're working on it". That gets very frustrating to hear with nothing more to it. I know you guys are working hard...but give us some news. 

Sorry, I just really needed to vent. But in another post I was asked to list the issues so here we go:

• 5Ghz Failure - Over the last week, this router's 5Ghz suddenly and RANDOMLY stops working for random devices throughout my home. We're talking Nintendo Switches, iPads, Samsung Galaxy Tablets, Roku Sticks...the list goes on. There's been no power spikes in our home. No one touches the thing physically. Antennas are all good and in perfect shape. I mean the thing still looks brand new.
    • Can't Use Smart-Connect because Google Nest Hub and my EufyVac do not like it. (posted about that before as well) 
    • MU-MIMO both on and off do not change anything
    • OFDMA off and on also changes nothing. 
    • Turning off 2.4ghz also did not thing...but not feasible for non-5ghz devices.
    • Sometimes my Samsung Tablet and phone (note 10+) will say it can't get an IP when the router does finally switch the 5g back on after a reboot...so you might wonder...did he try Static IPs...
      • Yes. But in the router config only as I've often seen suggested here.
  • After a Power Cycle to "Fix" the above issue...then I run into "DumaOS Not Loaded" and purposely left it like this once...and it stayed like that FOR OVER 24 hours! But that keeps happening...so I move to the next "fix"
    • Annoying work around...unplug the power for 5 mins.
  • Re-flash firmware...
    • Yes, I've done it through the interface...when I can get in due to it's slowness (that will be another listed issue)
    • Yes, I've done it also through TFTP.
    • Both tries...result in this thing working for a week...maybe 2.
    • Current firmware: Firmware Version 1.0.0.52
      • Also tried the previous one before that and even the initial release firmware
  • Interface Slowness - Using Chrome, Firefox, slow as the dickens...ran it on a clean Microsoft Surface Tablet with no extensions and addons...but works SLIGHTLY faster in Edge (Chromium version)
    • I made a comment in another post a few months back saying that if I went into Developer mode and disabled images and tried running it with "to allow insecure content" but only for the config page...no luck. Response then (requires a fix on our side).
    • Can't really use the app to do much because it always throws and error saying it can't detect what router i have...but all I can do is initiate a reboot command when I can't get into the interface on PC. 
  • Geo-Fence - Ran into issue a few times where it would not let me make any changes because of a "deleted device".
    • Other posts i've seen this issue on says that a config file must have been loaded. I can agree that I've tested this...that is definitely an issue...but...
    • Also tested this with no config file...and seems to happen a lot on my son's switch when he takes it with him to a friends house. What's consistent...his switch is always the first device I add.
    • R-Apps not loading...this is also constant. Nothing else really to say but refresh the page about 18 or so times until it does.
  • Logs - This one I feel should be a bit more critical. We'll get asked to send logs to help with diagnosing issues...well it's kinda difficult when:
    • Rebooting the router....DELETES THE LOGS. Why? Defeats the point of well...a log.
    • Configuring the router to email you the logs...is extremely truncated. I posted about this as well...still not fixed.
      • "How truncated is truncated?" 

So, here's the thing. I love this router, it's design is awesome. The interface visually is superb. The power of the Wifi (when it works) is Amazing! I've always been a fan of Netgear routers...ok cautious fan lol. But to spend 350 dollars on this router to had so many problems and so few short days of actual support from netgear only to be told "talk to the Duma OS boys" is a huge slap in the face.

At this point asking for news...I feel like I'm getting support from Dice "Soon". This device is impacting me working from home far more than it should and I will not let my wife win this war about just getting a router from our internet provider! Send help!
1614388613_stsmall507x507-pad600x600f8f8f8_u3.jpg.39d3fa242b0cc5e82a88de01e6fa52bc.jpg

• Administrators

For WiFi on the 5GHz drop the mode to the one under 4330Mbps, some devices don't support this and could be the reason they're dropping connections.

On the System Information page on the Rapp panel options change the retries to 5 then reboot the router from the interface then wait 2 minutes before accessing it - this allows the router to boot up properly and gives all the Rapps time to load before they're accessed - wait 2 minutes after every reboot.

Do use Microsoft Edge to access it, for some reason it does seem to be faster on most platforms currently which is odd as it's built on Chromium anyway - also make sure you're never trying to access it using HTTPS as this will slow the interface massively, always use HTTP.

For the App, choose the router manually instead of allowing it to auto detect and see if it works better - it is still in alpha so any feedback you can give would be great.

A reboot clears the memory which is where the logs are stored - it could cause more issues by having it permanently saved as it would keep getting bigger and bigger until you would have to do a factory reset to clear it.

I do have a few trial firmwares if you're still having trouble after these suggestions but they have not been tested and will be buggy. I'm already in talks with marketing about having some more frequent updates if firmware is delayed.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

For WiFi on the 5GHz drop the mode to the one under 4330Mbps, some devices don't support this and could be the reason they're dropping connections. -Will try this shortly

On the System Information page on the Rapp panel options change the retries to 5 then reboot the router from the interface then wait 2 minutes before accessing it - this allows the router to boot up properly and gives all the Rapps time to load before they're accessed - wait 2 minutes after every reboot. -Done this before, forgot to mention that's another tip I've seen in other posts

Do use Microsoft Edge to access it, for some reason it does seem to be faster on most platforms currently which is odd as it's built on Chromium anyway - also make sure you're never trying to access it using HTTPS as this will slow the interface massively, always use HTTP. -It never loads when on HTTPS so this wouldn't be an issue.

For the App, choose the router manually instead of allowing it to auto detect and see if it works better - it is still in alpha so any feedback you can give would be great. -There is no option to "choose a router" That message pops up each time you open it that it doesn't know what router I have. I haven't seen an app update for it since it's initial release? Am I looking in the wrong place? Google Play Store?

A reboot clears the memory which is where the logs are stored - it could cause more issues by having it permanently saved as it would keep getting bigger and bigger until you would have to do a factory reset to clear it. -I get that but makes troubleshooting with support harder...also doesn't address the truncating issue.

I do have a few trial firmwares if you're still having trouble after these suggestions but they have not been tested and will be buggy. I'm already in talks with marketing about having some more frequent updates if firmware is delayed. -I'm willing to try something to give more feedback beyond the current firmware.

Edited by Mi6300m
Corrected and added more details to some suggestions.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

For WiFi on the 5GHz drop the mode to the one under 4330Mbps, some devices don't support this and could be the reason they're dropping connections.

Wait, you're suggesting, to drop the "Up to from 4800mbps to 2400 Mbps" That doesn't make sense? I've not added any new devices to my home since buying this router back in October 2020. Why now...with this firmware that's been out for the last what 5-6 months would this suddenly start happening in the last week or two and mind you Randomly to devices on the 5Ghz bandwidth? (meaning no one singular device repeats this issue as it happens)

Surely you understand why that simply adds to the frustration? I could see if I added a new device that may not like that speed...or this was a newly released firmware within said 1-2 week in which this issue cropped up...but we're talking about a firmware that released per Netgear: Last Updated:12/22/2020.

Are we 100% certain there isn't some weird backend coding with in Duma OS that could be messing with the radio? I'm just thinking beyond what I can access here. Seems others are reporting similar wifi issues in other posts. Both here in the netduma forums and on netgears forums. 

5 hours ago, Mi6300m said:

Wait, you're suggesting, to drop the "Up to from 4800mbps to 2400 Mbps" That doesn't make sense? I've not added any new devices to my home since buying this router back in October 2020. Why now...with this firmware that's been out for the last what 5-6 months would this suddenly start happening in the last week or two and mind you Randomly to devices on the 5Ghz bandwidth? (meaning no one singular device repeats this issue as it happens)

Surely you understand why that simply adds to the frustration? I could see if I added a new device that may not like that speed...or this was a newly released firmware within said 1-2 week in which this issue cropped up...but we're talking about a firmware that released per Netgear: Last Updated:12/22/2020.

Are we 100% certain there isn't some weird backend coding with in Duma OS that could be messing with the radio? I'm just thinking beyond what I can access here. Seems others are reporting similar wifi issues in other posts. Both here in the netduma forums and on netgears forums. 

I believe 4800 is 160 MHz, devices need to be compatible, they can drop and reconnect randomly plus no mobile device will reach that as most clients are 2x2. What devices are dropping on that setting?

What neighbouring channels do you have around you and have you noticed anything new popping up. Do the disconnects happen radomly?

When you reset did you use the soft or the rear pin hole method?

Higher numbers on WiFi don’t mean necessarily mean better performance, it’s not uncommon to see 40mhz used in congested areas or even 20mhz on the 5ghz. If you have a congested population of neighbouring channels dropping the transmit power helps too with interference. 
Same applies to 40mhz on 2.4. Devices need to be compatible and 40mhz uses more channels so creates and picks up more interference if you have other neighbouring channels around.

Heres the fun part, a WiFi analyser helps to see what’s about however they don’t always pick up all channels, I can use my MacBook and check and I can use one of my Unifi APs and see a hell of a lot more including hidden channels. 

9 hours ago, Mi6300m said:

Good answer above from Newfie!

We're not 100% certain it's not something in the backend, but taking these kind of troubleshooting steps helps us narrow down the issue a lot more to speed up finding a solution. 

We can certainly understand your frustration here, thanks for your patience!

7 hours ago, Newfie said:

I believe 4800 is 160 MHz, devices need to be compatible, they can drop and reconnect randomly plus no mobile device will reach that as most clients are 2x2. What devices are dropping on that setting? -My Wife's ipad pro 2020 model, my Galaxy Note10+ (both of which support wifi 6), My kids Nintendo Switches (lite and regular), Roku Stick+ (2 of them), My Samsung Tab S7+, and my daughter's Tab S6

What neighbouring channels do you have around you and have you noticed anything new popping up. Do the disconnects happen radomly? - Disconnects are random throughout the listed devices, as for Channel usage? - I try to put myself on the least used channels close to the end since I live in an apartment complex ruled by Cox and Centurylink Modems which are set default to use 160MHZ and they automatically choose channels in the middle (so I'm sure that's a part of it...but at the same time this JUST started being an issue in the last week and i've been in this place for a year and a half)

When you reset did you use the soft or the rear pin hole method? -I've done both for various issues

Higher numbers on WiFi don’t mean necessarily mean better performance, it’s not uncommon to see 40mhz used in congested areas or even 20mhz on the 5ghz. If you have a congested population of neighbouring channels dropping the transmit power helps too with interference. 
Same applies to 40mhz on 2.4. Devices need to be compatible and 40mhz uses more channels so creates and picks up more interference if you have other neighbouring channels around. -True, I'm definitely mindful of that because I have at least one 1st gen Google Home Hub and a EufyVac that doesn't like those higher settings in wifi

Heres the fun part, a WiFi analyser helps to see what’s about however they don’t always pick up all channels, I can use my MacBook and check and I can use one of my Unifi APs and see a hell of a lot more including hidden channels.  -It's definitely my go to app as well to find these problems (I'm an IT field agent)...but sadly that's why i'm writing...the app will only tell me so much which makes me think its the router itself.

Apple devices don’t support 160Mhz, you need to drop that below the max rate. WiFi changes, anything around you could be causing issues but the first step is to turn off the 160mhz as all those devices are 2x2 only. If I set 160Mhz I see issues straight away. 

unless you start to go through the steps it makes finding the issues very hard. 

Best to reset and then first set the WiFi to 80Mhz then test then 40mhz and test. I can assure you that those device will happily work away below 160Mhz. 

As an it field chap you should know that most commercial setting tend to use 40mhz or even 20Mhz on 5Ghz as they plan out the channels and APs. Sometimes you cant get away with 80Mhz either in a domestic setting. 

A methodical approach is the way to go. Start fresh and work through each issue. 

11 hours ago, Mi6300m said:

I appreciate that reminder. But any suggestions for the other issues? 

We've made really good progress on the 'Rapps not loading' error and should have a hotfix available for that soon, apologies for the inconvenience of this error, I realise it's quite intrusive.

I believe the issue of log truncating over email is one that Netgear are very aware of so hopefully they can fix that for the next firmware, unfortunately that's not something we can change in DumaOS.

Thanks,

At this point and much thought over answers that were given, I'm going to have to shop for a new router. Mainly "soon" I've seen too many time since the last update (December). 

I appreciate you guys and what you've done so far. But I need fixes fast. It's impacting my work productivity having these drops and performance issues on this thing. 

We can close this post.