Randomly losing internet connection

Brian L

I've been following this issue on the forums for a few days now. I installed my new Netduma R2 router about 3 days ago and from day 1 my internet connection has been randomly dropping. This morning I woke up and of course my no internet. The only way I've been able to resolve this issue is to login to the GUI click the reboot button. I work from home so I'm always around when my connection drops. Yesterday I had to reboot my Netduma 4 times.

I've disable IPV6 on both lan and wan and I've elevated the router about 1/2 inch for air circulation.

I've attached some logs. I haven't really done much with the router other than setup a geo filter.

Also it might be a good idea to add some indicator on the web ui to show that the router is offline. I know that my old TP-LINK router showed an ! next the WAN icon. As an example the connection benchmark app will happily run when the router is off line but not return any results.

log-1625938890756.txt

• Administrators

It should show in the System Information page that it's disconnected but we do plan to use the Notification system in future so thats something we can add. What is the model of the modem/router the R2 is connected to?

Sat Jul 10 12:35:00 2021 kern.info kernel: [ 3179.101409] ash (27978): drop_caches: 3
Sat Jul 10 12:35:00 2021 cron.err crond[1405]: USER root pid 27978 cmd echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
Sat Jul 10 12:34:57 2021 kern.info kernel: [ 3176.266882] mtk_soc_eth 1e100000.ethernet eth0: rx_ring=0, base=07340000, max=0, calc=1526, drx=1527
Sat Jul 10 12:34:57 2021 kern.info kernel: [ 3176.245915] mtk_soc_eth 1e100000.ethernet eth0: tx_ring=0, base=07fb0000, max=0, ctx=903, dtx=510, fdx=510, next=903
Sat Jul 10 12:34:57 2021 kern.info kernel: [ 3176.233942] mtk_soc_eth 1e100000.ethernet eth0: dma_cfg:80000067
Sat Jul 10 12:34:57 2021 kern.err kernel: [ 3176.221605] mtk_soc_eth 1e100000.ethernet eth0: transmit timed out

Just lost connection again...

29 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It should show in the System Information page that it's disconnected but we do plan to use the Notification system in future so thats something we can add. What is the model of the modem/router the R2 is connected to?

I'm using an Arris SBG10 it does have built in wifi but It's been disabled.

16 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

On the Arris, copy the WAN IP from the System Information page and make that static, that should in theory fix the issue or at the least reduce them

Ok I'll give that a shot. I'am assuming this is a temporary fix until a permanent firmware update is released? Also the least time for the WAN IP is 3489s about 58.15 minutes.

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, Brian L said:

Ok I'll give that a shot. I'am assuming this is a temporary fix until a permanent firmware update is released? Also the least time for the WAN IP is 3489s about 58.15 minutes.

Yes that's right, we're working on that right now. Well that could definitely explain the issue! Sounds like it's fine most of the time given that info (its not disconnecting 24 times a day) but is struggling sometimes so hopefully that will resolve it for the moment

47 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes that's right, we're working on that right now. Well that could definitely explain the issue! Sounds like it's fine most of the time given that info (its not disconnecting 24 times a day) but is struggling sometimes so hopefully that will resolve it for the moment

I think declaring it as “fine most of the time” if you’re referring to the disconnect issues is a stretch. Getting disconnected 2-3 times a day isn’t really fine especially for people who work from home.

Going from 0 disconnects with my old router to 2-3 is a big deal. I’ve been on calls for work that dropped twice due to disconnects and losing multiple ssh sessions I have to run everything in a screen session since switching to netduma R2.

All that aside I do appreciate your responsiveness to support issues. Please keep us posted when there’s a fix.

On 7/16/2021 at 7:00 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

I've PM'd you.

I’ve had literally every issues this gentlemen has had as well. I’m not here to hijack but if your resolution works for him it will likely work for me.

I saw this forum, just scoping around, and I happened to notice something, and figured I should share this info.

Your modem, Arris SBG10. It has what is called the 'Intel Puma 6'  chip or chipset, and the chip is manufactured FAULTY. Literally, and somehow modems and routers alike are sold with this chip, unknowingly to the public. There are ongoing lawsuits about this, but they have either settled or are still ongoing, it is very difficult to sue Intel for the issue because they have so much money they can literally out-sue you by constantly buying themselves time so the average consumer runs out of funds or time to continue the battle, and doing a recall on probably the most sold chip in the market for modems is probably just out of the question, because that would massively challenge Intel's validity. Your best bet is to get a new modem, I hate to say it. You can google the list as well if you decide to search for one. These modems are fine for average day to day use, like netflix or just basic entertainment, which if thats all your needs are then your good.

Unfortunately, even the rented gateways/modems can have this chip or DO have this chip. Be careful if you decide to shop around, and always check the list to see if the modem your looking at is on there. I had a friend who had bought an Arris modem as well and didn't realize this was causing him issues similar to yours. Good luck.

7 hours ago, Xpoze said:

I’ve had literally every issues this gentlemen has had as well. I’m not here to hijack but if your resolution works for him it will likely work for me.

We'll see how he gets on, in the mean time I've also responded to your topic! :) 

9 hours ago, KingXFocusedxX said:

"I saw this forum, just scoping around, and I happened to notice something, and figured I should share this info.

Your modem, Arris SBG10. It has what is called the 'Intel Puma 6'  chip or chipset, and the chip is manufactured FAULTY. Literally, and somehow modems and routers alike are sold with this chip, unknowingly to the public."

Thanks for the reminder. I'm aware of the issues with the Intel Puma 6 chipset. I purchased a slightly used Arris SBG6183 but haven't gotten around to installing yet.

4 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

We'll see how he gets on, in the mean time I've also responded to your topic! :) 

Things have been stable as of Friday. I'll report back in a few days.

Just rebooted the router neither of the 2.4Ghz or 5 Ghz lights will come on. The WAN light won't stay solid and neither will and of the ethernet port lights. The only solid light is the power light. This is extremely troubling.

Update: they came on after 5 minutes. Not quite sure what to make of this.

OK, thank you for letting us know, apologies for the inconvenience!

I've forwarded the logs over to a dev as I think there's some really useful info in there, I'll let you know once I've heard back.

Keep us posted if the disconnections become more regular, you nearly had a week of uptime so hopefully we're moving in the right direction.

9 hours ago, Brian L said:

Just rebooted the router neither of the 2.4Ghz or 5 Ghz lights will come on. The WAN light won't stay solid and neither will and of the ethernet port lights. The only solid light is the power light. This is extremely troubling.

Update: they came on after 5 minutes. Not quite sure what to make of this.

I've sent you a PM :) 

I can confirm that sometimes after doing a reboot from the GUI after the R2 drops internet connection that the 2.4 and 5ghz wifi connections don't come back up. The LED indicators don't light up and the wifi network name does not appear on device wifi scanners this is after approximately 10 minutes after I initiated reboot. Image attached.

IMG_4627.jpg