Traffic prioritization

For the past few weeks or so I’ve noticed my bandwidth in call of duty coldwar has been much lower than normal. I normally get around 4200 kbps of bandwidth in the in game reading but as of lately I I’ve been getting mid to low 3000’s. After a ton of trial and error I saw my speeds get back up into the 4K range but simply adding 3074 into the source port and destination port. I’ve tried several combinations and tried exclusively port forwarding but the only way I have seen increasing results is by adding the number 3074 into the traffic prioritization. I also noticed it was only working when bufferbloat was turned on to always or when high priority traffic is detected.

Is there any reasoning for this. For such a minor fix it was so hard to discover and have seen nothing about this anywhere else. I don’t know if this is a game issue or a router issue. All I know is I never want to deal with problems like this again and this issue seems like something that should have been automatically fixed by the routers classified games settings. 

• Administrators

Hey, welcome the forum!

The figure you're referencing doesn't really matter as the game will never use that much bandwidth anyway - usually quite a bit less than 500kbps in most cases so increasing the amount of bandwidth it's able to use won't make the game use it. Traffic Prioritization pushes traffic ahead of everything else, it's not stuck in a network queue, hence why it increased it. Something on the network was using bandwidth and took a bit away from the game.

I felt like I was getting joked or my bullet reg wasn’t as good and a bunch of other things that seemed like I was slightly at a disadvantage. Do you think that was all placebo or that the Lower bandwidth could have something to do with these feelings that I was having. Basically I felt ever so slightly delayed. Not enough for a casual person to notice. But someone who competes at a high level ever little thing matters. Feel like it could’ve just been in my head but would like to know if there’s any possibility of truth to what I was feeling. 

thank you for the response!

• Administrators

I mean in logistically no it doesn't make sense because the drop in bandwidth it perceived was never being used anyway but you're not the first person to say this so I'd be inclined to believe it. If the Traffic Prio rule works for you then keep that, most people experiment with prio rules and that is the main one that is used so all good!

That bandwidth stated is just a quick upload test when you start the game, it's capped at 4200.

It's meant for when the game falls back to p2p, it's one of the factors that determines if you can host or not.

Not an issue if it reads low but if you have enough upload and it consistently reads low, you might have issues with your connection. And that will also show in game obviously.

1 hour ago, Bert said:

That bandwidth stated is just a quick upload test when you start the game, it's capped at 4200.

It's meant for when the game falls back to p2p, it's one of the factors that determines if you can host or not.

Not an issue if it reads low but if you have enough upload and it consistently reads low, you might have issues with your connection. And that will also show in game obviously.

I haven't had any internet issues per say just noticeable imperfections in first person shooters. why is it capped?