Congestion Control and QoS broken on XR1000

OK so I’ve had the XR1000 for some time now and it’s been great, solved all of my poor WiFi issues, but CC and QoS have been flaky.

My setup is a Netgear DM200 modem -> XR1000. 40Mb/10Mb. Latest firmware 1.0.0.52.

I’ve tried using congestion control mainly due to having several consoles and people streaming in the house, and if one of my consoles decides it’s gonna update a game while I’m mid game on Siege, my ping goes crazy.

so I tried CC and let it do the Auto configure, though every single time I make a change in the QoS menu, it tells me that the Rapp is taking longer than expected and to wait a while. This happens every time, and I don’t believe it’s actually managing to make the changes or apply the settings.

The auto config found a 56% download and 60% upload was ideal, and I set it to always, but I started a download, Speedtest etc, and please correct me if I’m wrong but I assumed that if this was set to always, then the max speed any device can use is the 56% which translates to 22Mb in my case?

Even QoS doesn’t really work, since my Xbox can hog the entire connection, and when I start a YouTube video it buffers like crazy?

Most other features seem to work ok in every other Rapp menu, but QoS just tells me it’s taking too long and I don’t trust that it’s doing what’s it’s supposed to.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. Are you using PPPoE, VLAN, IPv6, DHCP identifiers etc?

Yes it should be throttling to that percentage of your overall speeds, if you do a speed test what does the test show?

What are your Traffic Prioritization settings on the QoS page?

I’m using PPPoE and the DM200 is in modem mode.

Traffic Prioritisation is set to the default “all devices” DumaOS classified games option, haven’t touched that part to be honest.

• Administrators

Can you disable DumaOS Classified Games please just in case and see if you get the same issue.

Also while set to Always please do a speed test on a PC, do the speeds adhere to the percentages you set?

Sorry it got late last night, had to get some sleep!

I’ve done a firmware re upload, then a factory reset and gone through the initial setup again.

It did seem to fix the Rapp loading issue in QoS and didn’t tell me it was taking too long.

Disabled the classified games option and then I set the CC settings back to what they were, 56% on download and 70% up, and the settings saved and changed without issue, though when my Xbox was downloading games or running a Speedtest from any device, it still doesn’t stick to the rule. They just max out the connection.

Now stupidly I hadn't paid much attention to the upload speed as I use Fast.com just for the speed and simplicity, but having used Speedtest.net and the app on my phone, tablet. The upload speed is adhering, but the download maxes out regardless.

I've tried toggling between Always & Auto Enable for the CC as well, but my devices will still hog the entire connection.

Probably wouldn't be an issue if I had more bandwidth, but I'm limited at my current address to 40Mb maximum, so there's not a lot of spare.

Thanks for all of these quick replies though Fraser, appreciate it. I'm guessing this can probably be resolved in a future update potentially and I can manage it in it's current state as everything else is really nice with the router and OS.

• Administrators

Ahh interesting thanks for the information. I suspect it might be to do with PPPoE, I'll have the team test it to see if they can reproduce it. Meanwhile, if you had another router you could test modem > router (handling PPPoE) > XR and see whether it the download speed then adheres to the CC percentage. You're very welcome!