Download speeds cut in half

ymustuknow

Hello all, 

I am hoping someone can help me out.  I have gigabit internet, just tested directly to the modem and got a little over 700mb down.  If I plug into the NetDuma R2, which I want to, I only get about 400mb.  I have tested several times, unplugged everything and replugged in, but noting seems to help.  I have the latest firmare installed.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

How are you measuring these speeds? Through a third-party speedtest such as speedtest.net?

If you completely disable QoS from the three-line menu in Congestion Control, do these speeds improve?

Are any other devices connected to the modem or is it just the R2?

Hello Liam,

I am using speedtest.net.  I haven't tried disabling QoS yet, but I will try that out and report back.  My network is modem>Duma>Orbi, and everything is plugged into either the Duma or Orbi.  I have tried plugging directly into the modem and that's how I get the 700mb down.

5 hours ago, ymustuknow said:

Hello Liam,

I am using speedtest.net.  I haven't tried disabling QoS yet, but I will try that out and report back.  My network is modem>Duma>Orbi, and everything is plugged into either the Duma or Orbi.  I have tried plugging directly into the modem and that's how I get the 700mb down.

OK sure, let me know how you get on with QoS fully disabled, specifically from the three-line menu in Congestion Control. Thanks!

Well I disabled QoS Congestion Control and did a speed test and it's pretty much the same (it  was about 50mb slower, 350mb down).  I re-enabled it; retested and same 350mb down.  Any other ideas?

10 hours ago, ymustuknow said:

Well I disabled QoS Congestion Control and did a speed test and it's pretty much the same (it  was about 50mb slower, 350mb down).  I re-enabled it; retested and same 350mb down.  Any other ideas?

Was this over a wireless connection or are you connected directly the the R2 via wired? If you run a connection benchmark in DumaOS, what speeds are you seeing there?

40 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You've set your speeds as much lower than you said you get from the modem, update them in the Congestion Control menu and then see if the speeds increase

That was with QoS turned back on and the settings that it suggested after running the test a few times. 

Here's the test with QoS disabled:

Capture.png

10 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What did you set for your speed? It's odd it isn't showing them properly on benchmark as your limit

What do you mean; set for your speed?  Do you mean what I told the R2 my internet speed is?  If that's what you're talking about; I am 99% I set it to 1000mb.   Is there a way of confirming?  I can't seem to find it.

I had to change it back to what is now pictured; when I let it tune it after doing it's tests it it changed it to 410 down and 63.4 up (Auto Setup).

Capture.png

Here's the speed test after changing it back to 1000mb:

Capture.png

• Administrators
58 minutes ago, ymustuknow said:

I am away from my network for a couple days, but can when I get back. The Orbi is after the NetDuma; if that helps. 

Yeah I'm just wondering if that might be pulling bandwidth away from the R2 so if you could test when you can that would be great thanks!