Best QoS settings for PC CoD CW

Shascore

Hello,

While I realize that the "best" settings are not necessarily the same for everyone, I was looking into the optimal settings for me. I have an internet connection speed of around 850 down and 420 up. I have set this in my XR500 anit bufferbloat and changed the slider to 70% for both upload and download. For traffic prioritization, I have disabled classified games and input custom rules for the ports for PC CW, which are TCP: 3074,27014-27050 and UDP: 3074-3079 according to https://portforward.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-cold-war/. These are set to my desktop that I play the game on.

Are these the optimal settings for me. Do I even need to use the anti buffer bloat slider since I have such high speeds? Should I set this to always, instead of when high priority traffic is detected? Any recommendations or improvements you may see are appreciated.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

It's hard to say whether they are the optimal settings for you, what is your average ping as shown by the Geo-Filter? Do you experience lag spikes or buffering when playing videos etc? Your speeds are quite high so not necessarily needed but will still help. Always or not is personal preference really.

Below are screenshots of a pingplotter test while doing a bufferbloat test from dslreports. I dont really experience lag in-game, but I just want the best connection possible.

8d80edc8bdb521547d861ae51bf09b09.png

fd83a015f537a4a712f2a0eb90f7538b.png

• Administrators

Your results are really good so I'd leave the QoS settings you have set currently as they are and instead use the Geo-Filter to find the lowest ping servers or find the ones that play the best for you.

I rarely play public matches, so Geo-Filter is not useful for me. Can you shed some light on what Duma classified games actually does? Does it only apply to UDP traffic from specific ports? I have read some on this forum that applying these rules actually are better for traffic prioritization; 

Source  3074-3076 destination  30000-45000 udp  rule 1

Source 30000-45000  destination 3074-3076 udp   rule 2

Source  3074-3076  destination 3100-3500 udp

Source  3100-3500  destination 3074-3076 udp 

In your opinion, would it be best to select my PC and just choose Game Console, try the above mentioned rules, or only leave classified games turned on with no other adjustments?

Thank you for your help!

• Administrators

DumaOS Classified Games uses Deep Packet Inspection to analyze the traffic from your PC, identify the game packets and then prioritize those specifically. It is really down to personal preference, a lot of people like to experiment with the different options which is why we allowed people to set it up in a few ways. I'd say DumaOS Classified Games/Games Console service would be sufficient for most people but if you like to find the best of the best then experimenting is worth doing

Interesting. Does Deep Packet Inspection add latency? May be best for me to disable QOS entirely with Fiber? Will do more testing, but it is hard to tell what's placebo or not personally.

Thank you.

• Administrators
46 minutes ago, Shascore said:

Interesting. Does Deep Packet Inspection add latency? May be best for me to disable QOS entirely with Fiber? Will do more testing, but it is hard to tell what's placebo or not personally.

Thank you.

It shouldn't do but if it did it would be slight and unnoticeable especially given it prioritizes over everything else. You could try QoS disabled but your results are very good currently. Best idea is to test settings over a week or so, there are a lot of variables in networking and testing if over a week will give you a good idea of whether the settings benefited you a majority of the time. If it is working it might not be obvious as you won't be having issues