XR500 CPU Frequency Scaling

Going through DD-WRT forums I came across a option in the R7800 for CPU frequency scaling. Apperantly the R7800 can and does adjust its clock rate between 384 MHz and 1,7GHz. Since XR500 is it’s sister, it’s safe to assume they do the same thing.

On DD-WRT there is a setting to run the CPU at 1,7GHz all the time. This seems to greatly increase OpenVPN speeds. (They went from 40mbit to 100+) And I imagine this will speed up QoS as well if you hit it with a large chunk of traffic.

Is it possible for DumaOS to introduce a option to disable CPU frequency scaling? Ie a sort of performance mode. And is it possible to add R apps displaying CPU frequency and temperatures? it’s a thing in the Netgear firmware but maybe Netduma can request the option?

9 hours ago, Bert said:

Going through DD-WRT forums I came across a option in the R7800 for CPU frequency scaling. Apperantly the R7800 can and does adjust its clock rate between 384 MHz and 1,7GHz. Since XR500 is it’s sister, it’s safe to assume they do the same thing.

On DD-WRT there is a setting to run the CPU at 1,7GHz all the time. This seems to greatly increase OpenVPN speeds. (They went from 40mbit to 100+) And I imagine this will speed up QoS as well if you hit it with a large chunk of traffic.

Is it possible for DumaOS to introduce a option to disable CPU frequency scaling? Ie a sort of performance mode. And is it possible to add R apps displaying CPU frequency and temperatures? it’s a thing in the Netgear firmware but maybe Netduma can request the option?

That's cool! I'm not entirely sure if the XR500 does this as well as you said it's Netgear's hardware. We are actually working on some cool improvements to Hybrid VPN so I'll add this to the roadmap and see what the team think. Thanks!