xr300 wifi qos

My qos isn't working on my wifi. I am getting the lowered speeds but not the lowered ping spikes. On ethernet there is no problems.

Any fixes?

I don't have traffic prio enabled.

I am on the newest firmware for the xr300.

9 hours ago, Roses said:

My qos isn't working on my wifi. I am getting the lowered speeds but not the lowered ping spikes. On ethernet there is no problems.

Any fixes?

I don't have traffic prio enabled.

I am on the newest firmware for the xr300.

Thanks for posting! 

What game are you playing? Do the ping spikes lessen if you enable the DumaOS classified games rule?

In game and on pingplotter. I have the virginmobile Valerie (Bell Homehub 3000). It's like the qos isn't even working on wifi.

image.thumb.png.d2cf3dba04e10e166c7c6d797ddae641.png

Yes all devices are connected to the XR and yes its in the dmz of the bell homehub 3000.

The ping spike is during a speedtest and only during the upload portion of the test. Keep in mind that I only get ping spikes on the upload portion anyways if I connected directly to the homehub 3000.

Yeah I know. It has to go through 2 virgin mobile hubs then through bells on stuff. It also doesn't help that I live outside of Montreal where I have to go through that hoop as well. Still hitting 3-4 ms to google dns.

Sometimes restarting the router fixes the problem but it isn't a permanent fix. It works for 1-3 days then go back to that.

Yeah google gives me the best results which is what im currently using. It just says Cloudflare because thats what I named it in the home hub and just haven't changed it. 

• Administrators

I take it when using the hub and when performing that test nothing else was using the internet? Was the DMZ still applied to the XR? If so can you disable that and then redo the test via the hub and nothing using the internet just to double check please?

I get the same results with and without the dmz. It just changes my nat type from moderate to open. But the weird thing is that after rebooting the router for a couple of days the qos works and then like a switch I wake up and it doesn't work anymore.

• Administrators

If you reboot the bell hub do those spikes disappear for a few days as well? Could you do a PingPlotter showing when it's working? Maybe we can see some differences in why that is happening

The homehub stays the same the whole time rebooting it doesn't do anything other than change my public ip.

Here is a graph when it's working.

image.thumb.png.f4ceb293830381728a5d3567b42ef6f4.png

As you can see the spike is only 20ms instead of 90+.

• Administrators

Thank you very much for that so I can see two differences:

1. The times at when the tests were done - does it usually work better during the evening vs day/afternoon for example?
  2. The packets sent when the ping is lower is ~1.5x higher than when you're spiking 

Is there a possibility you can put the Bell in modem mode at all? If not are you able to disable it's Firewall?

It technically has a modem mode but it sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t. It’s 50-50 and when you restart the modem / have a power failure you lose the internet. The home hub has no firewall. And the time of day has no effect. 

No I have fiber so unfortunately I can't bypass it unless  I use something like the tp-link mc220L. But my problem with using one of those is that you have to use ppoe and vlan ids and virginmobile doesn't give you your ppoe username and password unlike when bell does.

• Administrators

Okay so wait for when the connection seems to spike again then make a custom rule for Traffic Prioritization please - this is just a test, I wouldn't recommend you use this rule all the time:

Source 1-65535
Destination 1-65535
Protocol TCP/UDP

Then see whether it is better

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay so wait for when the connection seems to spike again then make a custom rule for Traffic Prioritization please - this is just a test, I wouldn't recommend you use this rule all the time:

Source 1-65535
Destination 1-65535
Protocol TCP/UDP

Then see whether it is better

You want me to prioritize which device phone laptop??

ill get results back in a couple days