Some questions about the Nighthawk XR1000 router

Hi guys, I’m weighing up buying a new router as I’ve recently had fibre installed, and the ISP router’s Wi-Fi is pretty naff.

I was looking at one of the Netgear Nighthawk XR1000s with it having Wi-Fi 6. From reading some reviews though it sounds like there are drawbacks to this router when it comes to using a VPN with it. 

I’ve got a subscription to ExpressVPN and ideally I’d like to apply the VPN settings to the router, but I also want the ability to select which individual devices on my network are protected by the VPN.

Is it possible for me to fulfil this use case with the XR1000 ? Or do I need to look at another router ?

12 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You would have to look at another unfortunately as the XR1000 does not currently have HybridVPN implemented, the XR500 is a good choice as it has that built in and very decent WiFi

Awesome, thanks for confirming for me Fraser, and glad I checked before I splashed the cash ! So will the XR500 let me do what I'm planning to do ?

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, TurboBaron said:

Thanks guys, does the XR500 ship with Duma OS 3.0 (or whatever the latest equivalent is, I’m a little out of touch) ?

It doesn't no but you can upgrade it manually by downloading 3.0 from here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/New-Firmware-v2-3-2-120-XR500/m-p/2093450

12 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It doesn't no but you can upgrade it manually by downloading 3.0 from here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/New-Firmware-v2-3-2-120-XR500/m-p/2093450

Nice 😎 Thanks very much for that chaps and good to see you’re all keeping well.