Experiencing network drop on NetDuma R2

Mitch

Hello,

I need some help with my router. I received a replacement from you guys due to my old router having issues (I have topic regarding that). My replacement router is dropping connection at random times for the past week and has dropped twice now. I received the replacement and installed it on the 25th. On the 14th I was disconnected from a meeting for work, I noticed that my connection had dropped and I couldn't remote into the Dashboard so I went downstairs to check on it. The router looks fine but I still didn't have a connection until after unplugging it from the outlet, waiting 10 seconds and then plugging it in. Now today while I was streaming, my connection dropped again which caused my stream to cut off. The router still looks okay, I unplugged from the outlet then replugged and my connection came back. Can you help me diagnose my router and see what's happening? I had already checked my modem and there are no issues as far as what the logs say and my ISP has not reported any outages/maintenance in my area.

Sincerely,

Mitch

33 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What is your modem model that the R2 is connected to? Just to check, do all devices get disconnected?

Hello Fraser!

I have a Netgear CM1000 version 6.01.07. Yes both my wired and wireless devices were disconnected. 

17 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Do you know if your public IP is dynamic or static? In DHCP settings set DHCP lease hours to 168 and apply, see if that reduces the amount of disconnections

I have Dynamic. Changed it to 168, I will get back to you if any issues arise. Thank you for the assist!

Hello,

I experienced a network drop today, unfortunately. I did some troubleshooting to isolate the issue. I plugged in my laptop to the modem and was getting a network connection just fine. I plugged it into the router (its lights are blinking normally) and didn't get any network. On initial re-plug from the outlet, the router didn't connect to the network and I was getting the notice "The operation is taking longer than expected. Please briefly wait before using this Rapp.". On the second, I was getting a "Rapp has not loaded yet" for approximately 3-4 minutes. both tests I waited for the router to fully turn on. If this helps, my modem is a Netgear CM1000 with updated firmware and my Router firmware version is 3.0.205. Is there any other test/s I can do to find the route cause of the issue?

• Administrators

Okay good, so 168 hours is a week so it looks like it's to do with that. Reduce the DHCP pool so for example:

Original
Min 192.168.77.2 - Max 192.168.77.254

Changed
Min 192.168.77.50 - Max 192.168.77.254

then in the table on DHCP reserve IPs for devices giving them a number between 2-49. Once you've done that reboot the router from the interface so that all devices get their new IP and see if it lasts longer than a week.

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay good, so 168 hours is a week so it looks like it's to do with that. Reduce the DHCP pool so for example:

Original
Min 192.168.77.2 - Max 192.168.77.254

Changed
Min 192.168.77.50 - Max 192.168.77.254

then in the table on DHCP reserve IPs for devices giving them a number between 2-49. Once you've done that reboot the router from the interface so that all devices get their new IP and see if it lasts longer than a week.

ok. I already had my pool range set to 100-200 but I'll do the IP reservation, I reserved 2-33 in this case.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/29/2021 at 7:19 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Great, let us know how you get on!

Hello Fraser,

My internet went out today, roughly 10 minutes ago. It also went out last week but I don't believe it was the router since it was persistent even after the modem was restarted. Today though I think it is the router. I tried to get into the console but it was not letting me so I had to re-plug it from the outlet and it reconnected after 10 seconds.

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's disappointing, could be your public IP lease, do you know how long this is by any chance?

I tried to find it on my ISP's website/account and couldn't determine how it's handled. Checked my modem and it's not posted their either. Any other area I can check? 

• Administrators

I think the only way to check would be to call them directly to ask, if you do that then ask them if they can extend the lease at all, this could potentially reduce the amount of times the issue occurs

9 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I think the only way to check would be to call them directly to ask, if you do that then ask them if they can extend the lease at all, this could potentially reduce the amount of times the issue occurs

Hello Fraser, 

My ISP provided info on this, so my IP lease is dynamic which is standard for residential network connections. They also noted that they cannot extend the lease. At this point, I will swap out my R2 with my old ASUS router and see if the issue persists. If it does, I will buy a new modem. Hopefully either one fixes it. 

At the very least, I know that my wiring isn't bad because I had it rewired and tested by my ISP so I know that's out of the equation.

• Administrators

Did they say how long the lease is at at all? Okay keep us posted. We are looking into similar issues so if it's on our side hopefully should be resolved within the next few versions.

7 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Did they say how long the lease is at at all? Okay keep us posted. We are looking into similar issues so if it's on our side hopefully should be resolved within the next few versions.

Hello Fraser,

They said every 24 hours.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2021 at 12:45 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay so that doesn't seem to match up with when you experience the issue so hopefully the DHCP change you made resolves it

the issue happened again today while I was in a work meeting. I missed restarting the router over the weekend. I got into a call with my ISP to check my modem connectivity and issues in my area and there were no identifiable issues found. I'm swapping out with my other ASUS router.

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I'd suggest seeing if plugging the R2 into the Asus keeps it only for longer, might be the lease changes for your public IP causing it - thats something we would need to fix

that I have not tried. Thanks for the quick response, Fraser!

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Give it a go and let us know how you get on!

I switched my current setup. It is now Modem > ASUS > R1 (as an access point) > PC. All other devices are connected wirelessly on the ASUS 2Ghz/5Ghz. I'll let you know how this goes.