XR300 Speed Issues

I just spent around 4.5 hours talking to Netgear and Cox support for my speed issues. I've done nearly everything such as: Disabling QoS, Enabling AntiBB, downgrading Frimware, etc.

I'm completely lost but I pay for gigabit and I have around 500 download when in the past I used to get 950~.

• Administrators

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. What is your exact physical setup and what is the model of the modem the XR is connected to? 

Do you still get ~950 directly connected to the modem? How did you disable QoS exactly?

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. What is your exact physical setup and what is the model of the modem the XR is connected to? 

Do you still get ~950 directly connected to the modem? How did you disable QoS exactly?

So yeah I tested direct connect to the modem and was getting around 900. Not quite the 950 I was getting, but still a lot better.
I have modem connected to the XR300 via Ethernet and the cable is plugged into the WAN port. Then I have another Ethernet cable going from Port 1 to my PC.
I disabled QoS under the QoS tab and checked "Disabled QoS" on the side popout menu. I since re-enabled it as it made no difference.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

As a test, re-enable QoS, make a Traffic Prio rule for the PC you're testing on:

Source 1-65535
Destination 1-65535
Protocol TCP/UDP

and then test, are the speeds higher?

Nope, still around 500

• Administrators

Okay so QoS doesn't seem to be the problem then. Do you have another router you could put between the modem and XR then test the XR speed? If that's still low then put it in AP mode and test wired in that configuration as that will basically disable DumaOS entirely

Okay so QoS doesn't seem to be the problem then. Do you have another router you could put between the modem and XR then test the XR speed? If that's still low then put it in AP mode and test wired in that configuration as that will basically disable DumaOS entirely

Unfortunately I don't have another router that could push 1gb. 

I did just set it to AP mode, then I set it back to Router mode and I am now pushing 780mbps down. It's getting better, but still would like to get closer to my original speeds.

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's odd that it would increase just doing that, have you rebooted or factory reset at all since it happened?

I've rebooted a few times, but it has been quite a while since I did a factory reset. I'd like to avoid that because I have manually set ips for a lot of devices but if it helps I'll do it.

• Administrators

That would be my first suggestion really for an issue like this where settings don't seem to affect it - you could make a backup config - reset, see if the speeds are better and then potentially restoring it could keep the speeds but possible it would revert.

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That would be my first suggestion really for an issue like this where settings don't seem to affect it - you could make a backup config - reset, see if the speeds are better and then potentially restoring it could keep the speeds but possible it would revert.

Ah fair. I did forget about the backup file. I'll test that in the morning and update you here

16 hours ago, HyperFirez said:

Alright so I factory reset it today. Made no difference. Could having a Class A LAN IP (10.0.0.1) be the issue?

I can't see why that would be an issue, but if it's not too much hassle you could try reverting to the standard IP range of 192.168.1.x and re-test.

Out of interest, were your speeds any different before applying the backup file?

3 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

I can't see why that would be an issue, but if it's not too much hassle you could try reverting to the standard IP range of 192.168.1.x and re-test.

Out of interest, were your speeds any different before applying the backup file?

I actually just called that when I factory reset it reverted to 192 ip and when I tested on that it was fine. My mistake.

And no speeds are the same before/after.

• Administrators

Speeds before the AP mode switch or the previous speeds? 

I don't think QoS is the problem specifically. As you have warranty it seems I'd recommend trying to get a replacement from NG as it doesn't seem to be a specific setting problem

Speeds before the AP mode switch or the previous speeds? 

I don't think QoS is the problem specifically. As you have warranty it seems I'd recommend trying to get a replacement from NG as it doesn't seem to be a specific setting problem

Alrighty. I just ran a speed test and I'm up to 813mbps download now. Isn't some speed lost from Modem to Router though? I'm not sure how this warranty process is handled. I know Walmart sells these routers so maybe I can send this back and Netgear can give me some pass or something to pick one up from Walmart so I'm not without a router in the meantime.

Some usually which would be the 950 you previously had but not what you're seeing. You would need to submit a ticket to Netgear and they can do an RMA

Gotcha. Just requested an RMA. Hopefully that'll do the trick.