WIFI weak Signal

noctwrnyA

Wifi won't reach my driveway, testing with 2 android only 1 support 5G, they connect to the wifi without internet n most times can't reach the router. With my tp-link wifi6 I was video chatting, some lag here and there but definitely online

Now with netduma R2 I'm having issues like losing connection even though closer to the router 

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

It will not reach as far, the R2 has AC WiFi instead of AX/WiFi 6 that your TP has so you will not see the kind of results that you have with the TP.

We are also working on improving the R2 WiFi currently. Set the R2 antennae to look like this _ | | _ so two pointing straight up and one either side pointing outwards. Are you using mirror mode so you only have one SSID to join for the R2?

Ok understandable

I will change the angle of the antennas since I got it like this _\ /_... About the mirror mode I got it off because of some issues too, so as now it's off, it did give me more range after tho

I was a little ahead of u on that one, I already did that step I believe I'm in the best channel after some test I performed, thanks anyway

Question; while doing those test I saw a network following my channel, every time I change it that signal was changing to the channel I picked. Weird!?

So speed it's fine, tho 2.4 randomly home me high pings n low speed, while 5g it's constantly normal.

Range definitely better, still I get the drops and I'm blaming that to the 2.4ghz issue I'm experiencing

Why don’t you use the TP link in AP mode and turn off the R2 WiFi. That way you would have the coverage and advantages of WiFi 6 while using the R2 to control your network. 
You might be able to move the TP link to a slightly better position in AP mode to have better coverage.

The problem is when you are pushing WiFi at its limit your client must be able to talk back and most routers will push further than a client. The end result is retransmissions and devices hogging the airtime as it takes longer due to errors. A simple way of thinking around this is your router kicks out a 25dbm signal but your phone has a 17dbm signal. The router can talk at greater distance than your phone, the phone struggles at distance and you get errors. While this is going on other devices can’t use that channel until that device has completed its task so the result is a slow down in network performance.
This is why mesh systems work well if setup correctly as they cover the area and the good ones will have lots of control over power output to allow roaming. You will also see better battery life on a mobile client. 
normally you will cover any external coverage using a AP placed outside and internal coverage will be covered by what ever is required. 

I got a modem/router from the ISP, WIFI OFF I don't think that router is any good or better than aftermarket ones, I've set it to bridge.- then the duma R2, I really don't want to add more devices if I don't have to.

As right now so far only 3 devices get affected by the issue a fireTVstick, security panel and 1 of my phones. I don't think the issue is mayor so I'll patiently wait for improvement updates soon to come, but I'll keep in mind the option to put my tp-link back as an AP if things get worse

That's what I wanted to do but I thought I check and the R2 doesn't have holes in the bottom. I'm no sure I'll check again.

So how did u achieve that?, Also my understanding on routers n wall it's recommended to be little away from each other.

Thanks in advance.