ipv6 dns

FrankM530

So i had the xr450 before i bought this xr1000 is the ipv6 dns setting broken i can't set my own dns with out ipv6 breaking on the xr1000 used to work perfectly fine on the xr450 everytime i change the dns setting ipv6 just turns off any idea why?

i found another post on it and it said the person fixed it by setting it to dhcp and it worked i had it on auto config before and i had also tried auto detect  and for some reason it used to work fine on xr450 on auto detect but on the xr1000 i have to have it on dhcp or it wont work.

• 2 weeks later...

so i've noticed that the above while it does fix it. It seems to only last for a  bit since the ipv6 ends up disabled and the dns ends up back to the original am i doing something wrong or the router just broken?

• Administrators
12 hours ago, franko530 said:

so i've noticed that the above while it does fix it. It seems to only last for a  bit since the ipv6 ends up disabled and the dns ends up back to the original am i doing something wrong or the router just broken?

Sorry, could you clarify, IPv6 disables itself entirely when set to DHCP?

well the only reason i noticed it is because i have been using port triggering lately to open up ports for my xbox and lately it had been giving me moderate or strict nat until i retest the nat type on the console and it kept telling me ipv6 was disabled on the console and i would check on my desktop and it also is disabled  but i check the router and everything look like its working except the dns is back to the isp provided one instead of the custom one i had set... only way to get it back to being detected by the devices again is rebooting and setting the provided dns again.. which only seems to last for like a day at the most until it stops working again and i have to reboot again...

12 hours ago, franko530 said:

well the only reason i noticed it is because i have been using port triggering lately to open up ports for my xbox and lately it had been giving me moderate or strict nat until i retest the nat type on the console and it kept telling me ipv6 was disabled on the console and i would check on my desktop and it also is disabled  but i check the router and everything look like its working except the dns is back to the isp provided one instead of the custom one i had set... only way to get it back to being detected by the devices again is rebooting and setting the provided dns again.. which only seems to last for like a day at the most until it stops working again and i have to reboot again...

You don't need to do any port forwarding/port triggering with IPv6 because there is no NAT to worry about. Setting a port forwarding rule for the XBOX is probably causing confusion as it's not needed nor will it do anything. With no port forwarding at all and the XBOX using an IPv6, are you still seeing a moderate/strict NAT type?

yea with only ipv6 enabled  it gives me open nat for xbox itself but for ingame i still get strict/moderate nat... the only way to get open on both xbox and ingame i have to portforward or trigger since upnp doesn't seem to open ingame either its like broken it shows the request for the port but its still won't open it...

5 hours ago, franko530 said:

yea with only ipv6 enabled  it gives me open nat for xbox itself but for ingame i still get strict/moderate nat... the only way to get open on both xbox and ingame i have to portforward or trigger since upnp doesn't seem to open ingame either its like broken it shows the request for the port but its still won't open it...

That's interesting, do you get the same issue of the game and the xbox reporting different NAT types if you disable filtering mode in Geo-filter?

yea its the same result with or without geo on or off i think the ipv6 is broken to be honest. after rebooting it and resetting  it will work good for a whole day or a little more i wanna say and then after a while  it just breaks and everytime it breaks and i check the ipv6 setting the only thing that has changed is the dns goes back to the isp provided one even tho its still in the use custom provided section also i never use filtering on the geo i always have it on spectating since in my area there ain't to many servers on the game i play and it takes a long time to find a game if its on..

• Administrators

With IPv6 enabled you don't need to use UPnP, triggerring/forwarding etc as it will get you an open NAT so can you try disabling all those options please - maybe it is overriding IPv6 causing it to reset. If the console has an Open NAT then the game will to and will just be a misreading - i.e. it can't confirm with their NAT server that it is open but it won't impact you connecting to games

but can't it be that the game servers are using ipv4 only since that is the ip it show ingame for me?  and the xbox is using the ipv6 as primary and that is why it is on open nat?

hmm i would but i don''t like using my xb7 as my main router since i can't spoof mac or change it on that router  this is the exact same setup as before only difference is instead im using the xr1000 before i had everything setup the exact same way on my xr450 so i doubt its has anything to do with the xb7 not only that but i had asus also and never had a issue with the ipv6 and port forwarding on either the asus or the xr450

and even with a simple reboot the xr1000 turns off the ipv6 and puts the isp provided dns again i have everything off port forwarding/triggering/upnp so its definitely not conflicting with those services the ports for xbox and ingame are showing up as open like you said but the dns reset still happens after a reboot or if i apply any changes that cause me to loose internet once it ready to go i notice ipv6 is not showing up again i guess ill run it like this for a  day and see if anything changes again ill let you know ...

so i ran it all day yesterday like you suggested and after getting off my console and getting back on with only ipv6 and everything else off i kept getting moderate on console and in game with it not being able to connect to certain ppl so i just kept ipv6 on turned on port forwarding and so far i haven't had any issues only other things that i changed was i had reserved a ip for my console since i was using port triggering i removed that and i changed ipv6 to auto config  and so far i have rebooted and its been good open nat on console and game hopefully it stays that way lol...

9 hours ago, franko530 said:

so i ran it all day yesterday like you suggested and after getting off my console and getting back on with only ipv6 and everything else off i kept getting moderate on console and in game with it not being able to connect to certain ppl so i just kept ipv6 on turned on port forwarding and so far i haven't had any issues only other things that i changed was i had reserved a ip for my console since i was using port triggering i removed that and i changed ipv6 to auto config  and so far i have rebooted and its been good open nat on console and game hopefully it stays that way lol...

OK great thank you, let us know if you have any further issues.

• 4 weeks later...

so ipv6 has still been breaking ive noticed that it works just fine if i don't change the dns servers so i guess that kinda a fix but really sucks that i can't set my own dns servers with out ipv6 breaking every day also ports like on call of duty never open with only ipv6 I  either get  strict or moderate ingame xbox itself is either open or moderate my guess is black ops 4 servers don't support ipv6 and that is why i am getting mixed nat type because as soon as i forward a port for cod it opens right up so far ive had it for 2 days and no problem by know it would have turned off ipv6  if i had a custom dns  on it weird because if i set a  custom dns and restart the router ipv6 break but if i leave the dns as isp provided reseting doesn't break it .... for a 300 dollar router sure has alot of problems......