Content Filtering Not Working?

I've been trying to use the Content Filtering/Block Sites feature, and just for testing purposes, I have used twitter.com to see how it works. However, once I apply the filter, I wait a few minutes and try going to twitter.com only to find that it still allows full access to the site. I have not set any trusted IP addresses to allow visiting the blocked site. Am I not using it properly or is it not working?

17 hours ago, Scorch said:

I've been trying to use the Content Filtering/Block Sites feature, and just for testing purposes, I have used twitter.com to see how it works. However, once I apply the filter, I wait a few minutes and try going to twitter.com only to find that it still allows full access to the site. I have not set any trusted IP addresses to allow visiting the blocked site. Am I not using it properly or is it not working?

Thanks for posting!

Perhaps try this in Traffic Controller instead? Add a new rule, for whichever device and choose an application, category or port range you'd like blocked.

On 4/13/2021 at 6:29 AM, Netduma Liam said:

Thanks for posting!

Perhaps try this in Traffic Controller instead? Add a new rule, for whichever device and choose an application, category or port range you'd like blocked.

Where is this Traffic Controller option? Either I'm blind or it just isn't on the XR500.

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Scorch said:

Where is this Traffic Controller option? Either I'm blind or it just isn't on the XR500.

You will need to upgrade to the 3.0 beta first which you can find here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/New-Firmware-v2-3-2-120-XR500/td-p/2071196/jump-to/first-unread-message

• 2 months later...

I hate to reopen such an old thread @Netduma Fraser but I'm working on an XR1000, running firmware: XR1000 1.0.0.52_1.0.38 and content filter does NOT work on this device either.

I just tried blocking twitch.tv (sorry i got kids and it's a hot mess, in a dumpster fire, in a train wreck) and I need it blocked. I've tried a few times on all the devices that has a browser and even after power cycling the router, it still allows it. 

Cleared cookies and cache on main computer just to be safe and yeah...still allows it. So...I'd rather not use traffic controller but it seems like that's the own solution? Which isn't going to work since I want to block one to two specific sites

13 hours ago, Mi6300m said:

I hate to reopen such an old thread @Netduma Fraser but I'm working on an XR1000, running firmware: XR1000 1.0.0.52_1.0.38 and content filter does NOT work on this device either.

I just tried blocking twitch.tv (sorry i got kids and it's a hot mess, in a dumpster fire, in a train wreck) and I need it blocked. I've tried a few times on all the devices that has a browser and even after power cycling the router, it still allows it. 

Cleared cookies and cache on main computer just to be safe and yeah...still allows it. So...I'd rather not use traffic controller but it seems like that's the own solution? Which isn't going to work since I want to block one to two specific sites

Could you send over a screenshot as to how you've got this setup so far? Are all devices connected through the XR1000?

• Administrators

@Mi6300m If I remember rightly I was told by NG a long time ago that the feature only works for websites using HTTP not HTTPS, which obviously in this day an age isn't ideal as most sites use HTTPS. You could test this if you like by adding two blocks:

support.netduma.com (uses HTTP)
netduma.com (uses HTTPS)

I suspect the support site will be blocked whilst the main domain isn't. 

Use Traffic Controller, apply to Category > Livestream and that will only block Twitch basically and shouldn't impact any other website.

On 6/24/2021 at 1:54 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

@Mi6300m If I remember rightly I was told by NG a long time ago that the feature only works for websites using HTTP not HTTPS, which obviously in this day an age isn't ideal as most sites use HTTPS. You could test this if you like by adding two blocks:

support.netduma.com (uses HTTP)
netduma.com (uses HTTPS)

I suspect the support site will be blocked whilst the main domain isn't. 

Use Traffic Controller, apply to Category > Livestream and that will only block Twitch basically and shouldn't impact any other website.

That'll have to do. What I'd like to have is more refined control on traffic controller. An ability to add just a list of domains to block and set certain access to. Is this a feature we can look into adding?

To some it's a weird request. We're a home of gamers, but I still need to limit certain things my kids watch. 

• Administrators
51 minutes ago, Mi6300m said:

That'll have to do. What I'd like to have is more refined control on traffic controller. An ability to add just a list of domains to block and set certain access to. Is this a feature we can look into adding?

To some it's a weird request. We're a home of gamers, but I still need to limit certain things my kids watch. 

It is, mostly because it's already possible using the Adblocker feature on DumaOS 3.0 - not currently available on any of the XR routers but may come in future.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It is, mostly because it's already possible using the Adblocker feature on DumaOS 3.0 - not currently available on any of the XR routers but may come in future.

Thanks, I'll be honest, i'm not sure how much longer i'm going to keep this thing. There's just too many problems, and having to factory reset this thing every couple of weeks because the interface refuses to load things is becoming tedious. @Netduma Fraser can you PM me, to help me figure something out?

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Mi6300m said:

Thanks, I'll be honest, i'm not sure how much longer i'm going to keep this thing. There's just too many problems, and having to factory reset this thing every couple of weeks because the interface refuses to load things is becoming tedious. @Netduma Fraser can you PM me, to help me figure something out?

Sorry to hear that, we don't do support via PM as we get so many and also if I'm not available then no one else can help you. Make a new topic and list out all your issues and we can see what we can do. Some may not be able to be resolved until a new firmware is available.

On 6/27/2021 at 4:13 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Sorry to hear that, we don't do support via PM as we get so many and also if I'm not available then no one else can help you. Make a new topic and list out all your issues and we can see what we can do. Some may not be able to be resolved until a new firmware is available.

At this point, I'm willing to beta test another upcoming firmware just see if it fixes anything, because if it doesn't i sadly will have to move on from this router as it's affecting my work from home and well everyone else's sanity in the house lol 

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, Mi6300m said:

At this point, I'm willing to beta test another upcoming firmware just see if it fixes anything, because if it doesn't i sadly will have to move on from this router as it's affecting my work from home and well everyone else's sanity in the house lol 

I don't have another version I can provide at the moment, if you list out the issues in a new topic I'm sure we can improve on your issues