NetdumaR2 Loss Internet Connection

Ty1

BLUF: Lost internet connection to NetdumaR2 overnight.

Last night, I received my new NetdumaR2, completed the setup, and everything seemed to be working fine (with the exception for the light on my ISP (HUMAX) modem that indicates rather or not the device you have connected is receiving internet, was blinking orange). I saw this as a non-issue since the users manual from HUMAX states that an "Orange Light indicates LAN connectivity at up to 1000 Mbps."
 When I woke up this morning, the internet from the Netduma wasn't working (both wired and wireless). I unplugged the power cord to the Netduma, waited 60 seconds, and plugged it back in. It started back working again.

Is there a known issue for the NetdumaR2 to stop receiving internet if idle? 

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. If you're able to set a static/reserved IP address on the humax for the R2 that should help resolve the issue. Also on the R2 in DHCP settings, set the lease hours to 168.

8 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. If you're able to set a static/reserved IP address on the humax for the R2 that should help resolve the issue. Also on the R2 in DHCP settings, set the lease hours to 168.

@Netduma Fraser Thank you for reaching out. I am not able to set a static/reserved IP address on the HUMAX HG100R-02JG. It doesn't have an option for that at all unfortunately. Also, while using the internet earlier (trying to find a solution to this issue), I lost internet again and had to unplug and plug up the Netduma again.

• Administrators
41 minutes ago, Ty1 said:

@Netduma Fraser Thank you for reaching out. I am not able to set a static/reserved IP address on the HUMAX HG100R-02JG. It doesn't have an option for that at all unfortunately. Also, while using the internet earlier (trying to find a solution to this issue), I lost internet again and had to unplug and plug up the Netduma again.

Apparently you can do it via "DHCP Reservations" on the Humax admin panel, can you find that?

14 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Apparently you can do it via "DHCP Reservations" on the Humax admin panel, can you find that?

@Netduma Fraser There is no option under any of the menus on the admin panel for "DHCP Reservations". I believe this router is configured different from the average ISP router since it's provided by JCOM ISP (which is a japan company). If you would like, I can drop you the only users manual I was able to even find of the modem/router (which I had to translate from japanese to english smh). 

I spent the better half of my day looking for that exact option online earlier. 

10 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If you could thanks yes that would be helpful. Just for reference this is where I saw that you had that option https://openmyip.com/Humax-HG100R-02JG-router-setup 

@Netduma Fraser I have attached the users manual here. When I google the exact version of the modem/router I have, it can be found on https://cs.myjcom.jp/knowledgeDetail?an=000477763 as the first one listed. Additionally, I attached the exact users manual that was on JCOM's site, but (as mentioned before) I translated it from Japanese to English.

Once you compare the two, you'll see that it doesn't have that option listed.

HUMAX_HG100R-02JG_English.pdf

• Administrators

Thank you very much for this, it does seem strange it has every other setting basically apart from that.

Okay so instead, copy the WAN IP address from System Information on the R2. Go to Settings > WAN > Network > Static then paste the WAN IP into the IP box, subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and the gateway is the IP address you use to access the HG. Then save and reboot the R2 from the interface. See if it is more stable after that please

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thank you very much for this, it does seem strange it has every other setting basically apart from that.

Okay so instead, copy the WAN IP address from System Information on the R2. Go to Settings > WAN > Network > Static then paste the WAN IP into the IP box, subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and the gateway is the IP address you use to access the HG. Then save and reboot the R2 from the interface. See if it is more stable after that please

@Netduma Fraser I have set everything up. I will monitor it and see if it drops internet again. As for now, Everything seems to be working as it should. (There is still a blinking orange light on the modem, but internet seems to be working).

On 4/11/2021 at 1:42 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Great to hear that, keep us posted! The light most likely indicates that traffic is passing through the router. The R2 does this as well.

@Netduma Fraser 

So update. Made it back home (been out of town for a week). Netduma isn't receiving internet from the modem. I have the following lines in the Logs

Fri Apr 16 18:16:53 2021 daemon.err cli.lua[2722]: conntrack v1.4.5 (conntrack-tools): 0 flow entries have been deleted.
Fri Apr 16 18:15:00 2021 kern.info kernel: [494411.531499] ash (15059): drop_caches: 3
Fri Apr 16 18:15:00 2021 cron.err crond[1404]: USER root pid 15059 cmd echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
Fri Apr 16 18:12:57 2021 kern.warn dpiclass-daemon: NFQUEUE unable to handle packet -1
Fri Apr 16 18:12:55 2021 user.info com.netdumasoftware.neighwatch: DHCP lease change.
Fri Apr 16 18:12:55 2021 user.info com.netdumasoftware.neighwatch: DHCP old event.

There are other things in there as well, but those are the most recent. Any ideas or suggestions?

36 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

Is the WAN light not currently illuminated on the R2? As you mentioned in your email, the R2 is getting a WAN IP from the modem so that doesn't look to be an issue. Are you able to run a connection benchmark through the R2?

@Netduma Liam The WAN light is illuminated (and blinking periodically as if it was sending and receiving). I can run a connection benchmark through the R2, when I do, Ping is an A+, Ping under load is an A, and Speed is a D, but when I try to connect any other device to my modem, I am receiving normal speeds as provided by my ISP. 

7 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Reboot the R2 from the interface and it should get internet, did you change the DHCP lease hours on the R2 originally?

@Netduma Fraser I rebooted the R2 more than once last night, still no internet. I did change the DHCP lease hours as requested above to 168. I've tried unplugging the modem and router, then reconnecting them. I've tried disabling the wifi from the R2 and seeing if the LAN would work. Still, no internet at all. I'm not sure why I'm not getting any internet at all through the R2. Below are the most recent lines in the Logs page. I'm considering doing a factory rest on the router and seeing if that does anything at all.

Sat Apr 17 03:20:00 2021 kern.info kernel: [27159.866453] ash (5489): drop_caches: 3
Sat Apr 17 03:20:00 2021 cron.err crond[1406]: USER root pid 5489 cmd echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
Sat Apr 17 03:15:19 2021 daemon.err cli.lua[2730]: conntrack v1.4.5 (conntrack-tools): 0 flow entries have been deleted.
Sat Apr 17 03:15:19 2021 daemon.err cli.lua[2730]: conntrack v1.4.5 (conntrack-tools): 0 flow entries have been deleted.
Sat Apr 17 03:15:00 2021 kern.info kernel: [26859.783452] ash (1344): drop_caches: 3
Sat Apr 17 03:15:00 2021 cron.err crond[1406]: USER root pid 1344 cmd echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

[UPDATE]

After doing a factory reset the modem is now receiving internet. That only brings me back to the original issue though. Once the ISP modem/router cycles Ip addresses, I know it will drop internet. Below is what is in the logs after the factor reset.

Sat Apr 17 07:44:47 2021 daemon.err hostapd: Wrong coupling between HT and VHT/HE channel setting
Sat Apr 17 07:44:47 2021 daemon.warn hostapd: Failed to check if DFS is required; ret=-1
Sat Apr 17 07:44:47 2021 daemon.warn hostapd: Failed to check if DFS is required; ret=-1
Sat Apr 17 07:44:45 2021 daemon.err hostapd: Failed to set beacon parameters

Edited by Ty1
Update

10 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

In that case I'm not sure how when we set the static IP that it worked properly, are you able to remove the Humax and use the R2 directly at all? In which case the IP we set before should work 

@Netduma Fraser I was able to check the logs on the Humax, the router was showing that it had a static IP, but idk why it wasn't receiving internet. The Humax is a cable modem/router so, no I wont be able to use it directly. But since I have done the factory rest, i haven't lost internet yet. (but I did change the DHCP lease hours 168, so i know it hasn't refreshed the ip address as of yet either). However, I did change the wifi name and settings when I was setting it up again, I haven't rebooted it yet, and the wifi doesn't actually show (ie. i can't find it on my list of available networks). I'm almost afraid to reboot the router because everything with the exception of the wifi is working right now.

Also, the WAN is still set to DHCP (basically everything is set to the out of box setting with the exceptions of DHCP lease hours).

• Administrators

Understood - how many devices do you have connected? Would it be feasible to reduce the DHCP pool and reserve IP addresses for the devices outside the pool range, then reboot and see if it works better?

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Understood - how many devices do you have connected? Would it be feasible to reduce the DHCP pool and reserve IP addresses for the devices outside the pool range, then reboot and see if it works better?

Right now, I have only 2 things connected. So it shouldn't be so an issue

On 4/18/2021 at 9:14 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay keep us posted on what happens, we're making progress on our end

Just an update. So, I still haven't changed anything. The only thing I've done since is reboot the router so that the wifi shows up. I won't truly know if it's working correctly until the DHCP lease time is up (it's currently set to 168 hours/7 days). Once I pass the 7 days, if everything is still working correctly. I will update this forum.

11 hours ago, Ty1 said:

Just an update. So, I still haven't changed anything. The only thing I've done since is reboot the router so that the wifi shows up. I won't truly know if it's working correctly until the DHCP lease time is up (it's currently set to 168 hours/7 days). Once I pass the 7 days, if everything is still working correctly. I will update this forum.

OK great, thank you.