Traffic Prioritization Help

So I finally have my XR500 tuned almost perfectly for my network but I’m having trouble finding the best traffic prioritization rules to maximize my connection and improve my bullet registration (PS5).

Currently I have 1-65535 Dest 1024-65535 TCP/UDP as my rule (classified rule off) but this doesn’t seem to be working well although slightly better than classified games being enabled.

I came across this thread which had rules that seemed to have great success but as far as I know only works for CoD and nothing else.

https://forum.netduma.com/topic/30110-how-to-get-better-hit-detection/#comments

Does anybody have a recommendation for rules that covers every game that I play (Cold War/Destiny 2/Apex Legends)?

• Administrators

The rule you have will cover all those games but your best bet is to have a look at the ports that each game requires and then figure out the range you need to include to cover them. Portforward.com will come in handy for this

35 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The rule you have will cover all those games but your best bet is to have a look at the ports that each game requires and then figure out the range you need to include to cover them. Portforward.com will come in handy for this

TCP
9988, 42120, 42210, 42230, 44125, 44225, 44325
UDP
1024-1124, 3216, 3659, 9960-9969, 10000-20000, 27900, 28910, 29900, 37000-40000
TCP/UDP
80, 443, 1935, 3074-3080, 3478-3480, 10000-20000

So these are all the ports across all 3 games. How exactly do I go about making rules to cover these?

• Administrators

This is why it would be better to just have the rule you're using currently as you'll need to make a lot of rules to cover these. Set source 1-65535 for every rule. If the ports have a - between them then that is the Destination start port and the end port. If no dash then use the one port for both start and end, e.g:

Destination 10000 - 20000
Protocol TCP/UDP
-
Destination 9988 - 9988
Protocol TCP

23 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

This is why it would be better to just have the rule you're using currently as you'll need to make a lot of rules to cover these. Set source 1-65535 for every rule. If the ports have a - between them then that is the Destination start port and the end port. If no dash then use the one port for both start and end, e.g:

Destination 10000 - 20000
Protocol TCP/UDP
-
Destination 9988 - 9988
Protocol TCP

Damn, I have my ps5 in dmz just to avoid manually forwarding ports. I’ll go ahead and try it, I’m assuming it must perform better if not the same as the rule I currently have. Is there a way to monitor ports being used while currently in a pvp game to narrow down which ports to prioritize? Also, EA/Bungie lists many extra ports that are not listed on portforward.com. Does this mean that those ports are used for authentication purposes or something so I can get by without adding rules for them?

• Administrators

No not currently though we may implement something to do that in future. If they don't mention them as ports that are needed then they are likely unimportant as people may not necessarily have them open so I would focus on the ones you know about

36 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

No not currently though we may implement something to do that in future. If they don't mention them as ports that are needed then they are likely unimportant as people may not necessarily have them open so I would focus on the ones you know about

Ok so I left out ports that purely need to be “open” and only included ones that need to be forwarded.

TCP: 80, 443, 3216, 7500-7509, 9960-9969, 9988

UDP: 2001, 3074-3173, 3659, 37000-40000

Both: 1024-1124, 1935, 3478-3480, 10000-30010

Is 80/443 not needed? I’m only asking since 1024-65535 is the most commonly mentioned range to set the rule to, are those just Sony ports?

EDIT: So I just logged into my router and I have 750,000,000 download packets, 350,000,000 upload packets and ~25% of each are high priority. How is this possible? None of my devices are being used right now except my phone and laptop. My ps5 is the only device listed under traffic prioritization.

• Administrators

Port 80/443 are used for normal web traffic and therefore it would prioritize downloads/updates which would not be advisable - did you add them? If so that could explain the packets you're seeing there. Can you take a screenshot of it showing there please?

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Port 80/443 are used for normal web traffic and therefore it would prioritize downloads/updates which would not be advisable - did you add them? If so that could explain the packets you're seeing there. Can you take a screenshot of it showing there please?

My rule was Src 1-65535 Dest 3074-65535 TCP/UDP for my PS5, that was the only rule. I don’t have a screenshot since I rebooted my router at first (wiped packets) then I deleted rule, added the new rules I listed above (ignored 80/443) and reset my router again.

Edit: Right now I have 490k background/900 priority download packets and 505k background/2200 priority upload packets. I guess this is normal, I’m not sure. None of my devices are on except my phone and my PS5 (currently playing cold war). I’ve never really monitored my packets before but this does seem a bit high purely from playing cold war.

Edit 2: While in the middle of a match, both upload and download priority packets jumped to 38k each.

Tbh 

ps5 encrypts packets differently and I don’t think port ranges r gunna cut it anymore tbh.

id try games console service if I were u, don’t port forward or dmz

use buffer to very slightly hinder connection

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, DHawk12 said:

My rule was Src 1-65535 Dest 3074-65535 TCP/UDP for my PS5, that was the only rule. I don’t have a screenshot since I rebooted my router at first (wiped packets) then I deleted rule, added the new rules I listed above (ignored 80/443) and reset my router again.

Edit: Right now I have 490k background/900 priority download packets and 505k background/2200 priority upload packets. I guess this is normal, I’m not sure. None of my devices are on except my phone and my PS5 (currently playing cold war). I’ve never really monitored my packets before but this does seem a bit high purely from playing cold war.

Edit 2: While in the middle of a match, both upload and download priority packets jumped to 38k each.

That's normal yes. Jumped to 38k instantly or over the course of the game? If the latter that is normal

3 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's normal yes. Jumped to 38k instantly or over the course of the game? If the latter that is normal

The latter. The absurd sbmm in cold war has finally kicked in (just started playing) so sadly 60 ping is now the new normal instead of 25-30.

Any news on the geofilter cloud being updated to allow filtering to work properly on apex and not result im constant disconnects, last I heard was that there were authentication servers that were yet to be whitelisted. Also, does the geofilter work on cold war?

• Administrators
40 minutes ago, DHawk12 said:

The latter. The absurd sbmm in cold war has finally kicked in (just started playing) so sadly 60 ping is now the new normal instead of 25-30.

Any news on the geofilter cloud being updated to allow filtering to work properly on apex and not result im constant disconnects, last I heard was that there were authentication servers that were yet to be whitelisted. Also, does the geofilter work on cold war?

I haven't heard anything but I think we should have a cloud update next week, yes it works for Cold War