Internet Kicks Out Pretty Consistently

GenMatrix

Seems like the R2 can't stay on for more than 4 days (most times less) without the internet breaking. Breaking meaning no devices can connect to anything outside of my network. The GUI also breaks and will show just a white screen. I can, however, connect to internal servers such as my Raspberry Pi and Synology NAS server when this happens and before I power cycle it (only the router nothing else) to restore internet. Here's some data on my configuration:

• Cable Modem > R2
  • R2 has all WIFI off and DHCP server is off and DHCP is being handled by Pi-Hole since there is no option to whitelist on the DNS Rebind Protection in place.
  • R2 also has Orbi Mesh connected as access point and this handles all my WIFI.
  • UPNP is turned on and IPV6 is off for WAN & LAN.
  • Adblock is off.
  • QoS is set to Auto Enabled with only Apex on one device on Traffic Prioritization (DumaOS Classified and Work At Home are disabled). I did have this set to ALWAYS in the past and still experienced the same loss of internet. Was testing with Auto Enabled.
  • Not using Geo-Filter, Hybrid VPN or Traffic Controller at all.

I had my original R2 (current one was an RMA replacement for broken lights) also did the same thing as my current R2 so it's definitely not a hardware issue.

My XR500 on the latest beta has stayed on without issue for more than 30 days (last time I remember looking) without it breaking so there's got to be something breaking with whatever variant of OpenWRT the R2 is using, or maybe some hardware conflicting with the code. I'm running out of ways to test honestly.

Any guidance would be appreciated as I'd like to continue using the R2.

• Administrators

The router isn't really doing much in your setup so I suspect this is happening between the modem and the R2 - do you have a spare router you could put between the R2 and the modem as a test to see whether the issue stops?

15 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The router isn't really doing much in your setup so I suspect this is happening between the modem and the R2 - do you have a spare router you could put between the R2 and the modem as a test to see whether the issue stops?

Do you mean like putting a router that's only in AP mode or some such? Still using the R2 as the gateway right? QoS / UPNP Implementation / Device Management are essentially the main reasons I would like to keep using the R2.

• Administrators

So just a router, not in AP mode, to take the internet from the modem, act as a DHCP server and give the R2 a local IP address. So you can keep the entire setup as it is, just put a router in between the R2 and modem and see if that stops the disconnects.

20 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

So just a router, not in AP mode, to take the internet from the modem, act as a DHCP server and give the R2 a local IP address. So you can keep the entire setup as it is, just put a router in between the R2 and modem and see if that stops the disconnects.

So a Double NAT then? Just want to make sure I understand.

• 2 weeks later...

Even with the XR500 between the modem and the R2, the R2 still observed the same behavior so it doesn't appear to matter what device is plugged into the R2.

I've removed the XR500 from the equation plugged every single device into a GSS108E, including an Orbi unit that handles wifi, (minus my main PC) into port 2. Port 1 is my main PC.

I'll see how this works. I've been able to rule out that IPV6 off was causing it because it with on for WAN and LAN it still occurred and had to power cycle to restore.

• Administrators

I know the XR500 has a similar issue sometimes so when that happened on the R2 did the XR still have internet? 

Okay keep us posted. We are making progress on the issue so I'm hopeful we'll get it resolved

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I know the XR500 has a similar issue sometimes so when that happened on the R2 did the XR still have internet? 

Okay keep us posted. We are making progress on the issue so I'm hopeful we'll get it resolved

I didn't even think to check. I got frustrated and gutted my entire set up. Rewired and labeled all my ethernet cables to make sure there was no looping cables. Ran cable tests on every ethernet cable to makes sure I didn't have a faulty wire somewhere.

image.thumb.png.e940612954953cab5b3e4101b0a102dc.png

It just happened again about 10 minutes ago. I wish the logs from the system information panel were persistent past a reboot.

Is there no way to SSH into the router to see if I could pull anything from it? The router still functions for LAN connections so it's not completely dead when that bug occurs. I've only dabbled in OpenWRT firmware but man this internet going out every 1-3 days is driving me insane. If I could at least reboot remotely, it wouldn't be so bad I guess but I can't even do that.

• Administrators

No it's not possible unfortunately - we are working with a few users who have this issue a lot and have created some backend tools to capture all the information we need so we have everything, it's just figuring out now why it's occurring. I don't think there is anything else I can suggest at the moment so maybe use the XR500 in the meantime while we resolve it

16 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

No it's not possible unfortunately - we are working with a few users who have this issue a lot and have created some backend tools to capture all the information we need so we have everything, it's just figuring out now why it's occurring. I don't think there is anything else I can suggest at the moment so maybe use the XR500 in the meantime while we resolve it

That's unfortunate. But, at least based on what you said, it's a confirmed issue and not just something that I have misconfigured. Something weird happened last night were the router rebooted on it's own as I got some notifications that from NAS that it was offline for a little bit as well as the UPTIME on the router lining up.

The XR500 isn't bad but I swear UPNP version Netgear uses has to be like the first revision ever of the protocol. Wife and I can't play GTA5 at the same thing without constantly getting booted out of lobbies; don't have that problem on the R2.

1 hour ago, GenMatrix said:

That's unfortunate. But, at least based on what you said, it's a confirmed issue and not just something that I have misconfigured. Something weird happened last night were the router rebooted on it's own as I got some notifications that from NAS that it was offline for a little bit as well as the UPTIME on the router lining up.

The XR500 isn't bad but I swear UPNP version Netgear uses has to be like the first revision ever of the protocol. Wife and I can't play GTA5 at the same thing without constantly getting booted out of lobbies; don't have that problem on the R2.

Was it the XR that rebooted itself? It makes sense the the NAS would kick those notifications and would then have a different uptime to the XR.

You could try taking the WAN IP of the XR and put it in your Modem's DMZ, this might help the issues you're getting with GTA.

12 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

Was it the XR that rebooted itself? It makes sense the the NAS would kick those notifications and would then have a different uptime to the XR.

You could try taking the WAN IP of the XR and put it in your Modem's DMZ, this might help the issues you're getting with GTA.

The XR was out of the equation when this occurred. This was all from the R2.

If I use the XR as the primary gateway (R2 is out of the picture) then I get constantly booted when coming back from missions. But the XR500 can stay online without issues for 30+ days.

I went to look at the UPNP table and saw the XR500 was setting up UPNP for both PCs except PC # 1 was 3478 and PC #2 was 3479. Seems while you guys offer the features and extra functionality, it has to be built around Netgear's existing network code.

When on the R2 both PC's used port 3478 under the Internal column, but used a different External port and it's smooth sailing when the wife and I play at the same time.

Are you getting booted back to story mode or just back to a random lobby? If you disable Geo-filter do you still get the same issue.

Some games will use a port 1 number higher for a second device on the network playing the same game, we see this with CoD sometimes. It is bizarre that you're seeing this with the XR and not the R2 though, have you tried DMZing the XR WAN IP in your modem's settings? This should help.

7 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

Are you getting booted back to story mode or just back to a random lobby? If you disable Geo-filter do you still get the same issue.

Some games will use a port 1 number higher for a second device on the network playing the same game, we see this with CoD sometimes. It is bizarre that you're seeing this with the XR and not the R2 though, have you tried DMZing the XR WAN IP in your modem's settings? This should help.

It'll throw up an error screen with those Rockstar error codes. Then it'll kick me back into Story Mode. I don't use the Geo Filter setting.

When you say put the WAN IP, do you mean my public IP I get from my ISP or the IP of the modem (which is 192.168.100.1)?

47 minutes ago, GenMatrix said:

It'll throw up an error screen with those Rockstar error codes. Then it'll kick me back into Story Mode. I don't use the Geo Filter setting.

When you say put the WAN IP, do you mean my public IP I get from my ISP or the IP of the modem (which is 192.168.100.1)?

Thanks for confirming, the one the XR gets from the modem so the latter one you mentioned there. You may need to either reboot the XR or just give it a little while before testing in-game.

Just an update on the R2. I rolled back to 3.0.179 firmware and the router has been working the longest I've seen since I received a replacement (came preloaded with 3.0.205), 6 days with no interruption.

There's definitely something critically wrong with 3.0.205. I know you guys are working on it and hope the issue gets squashed in the next firmware release.

2 hours ago, GenMatrix said:

Just an update on the R2. I rolled back to 3.0.179 firmware and the router has been working the longest I've seen since I received a replacement (came preloaded with 3.0.205), 6 days with no interruption.

There's definitely something critically wrong with 3.0.205. I know you guys are working on it and hope the issue gets squashed in the next firmware release.

OK that's really useful, glad to hear it's been working OK and thank you again for the feedback!

• Administrators
1 hour ago, GenMatrix said:

Well, I guess I jinxed it. It died about 30 minutes ago. I'll just eat it and put the XR500 back on. I can't DMZ the modem because they are not on the same subnet.

Super frustrating.

You copy the WAN IP from the System Information page on the XR and enter that into the DMZ on the ISP modem. 

13 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You copy the WAN IP from the System Information page on the XR and enter that into the DMZ on the ISP modem. 

Oh, I think I know where the confusion is stemming from. My ISP modem is just a pure modem, it's not a modem/router combo.

Edited by GenMatrix
remove excess words

54 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

What's the make and model of it? It should still have an interface you can access.

It's an Arris SB8200. I am using my own purchased modem with my ISP because the one they provided was garbage and has one the PUMA Chipsets.

image.thumb.png.c7f68a71f3aaccfc071fc7b4b06398b5.png

26 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

OK, you should be able to find the DMZ setup under the firewall settings I believe, here you can enter the R2 WAN IP as Fraser mentioned.

There's no option for that in the Arris SB8200. It's it's not a router so the only IP address it can get is the public IP address I get from my ISP.