Destiny geo filter

kingklown

Bungie just rolled out the ddos protection to Xbox so that means geo filter will not work on Xbox as it has not worked on pc for the last year and 1/2.  Is this actively being worked on or is it something that is on some sort of project backlog?

• Administrators

We are still trying to figure it out but it's a tough one, not like any other game update where we may need to retest. They've completely changed their systems, we may not be able to do anything but we'll do our best.

Just now, kingklown said:

I’m guessing since there was no fix for pc that there will be no fix for Xbox/consoles 

But no more getting booted if the d2 community didnt DDOS so much we would all  be ok.

I think the geofiltering works to the extent that you can block server connections outside your region setting. Put the ping filter slider  to 0.

Put the filtering to strict and turn off fast search. It seems like it doesn't connect to outside servers. You should also do a unfiltered search fist to see where the servers are.. Make sure that there is a server inside the geo filter that you make or it won't work.

The issue is that there are no individual signals coming into the router. Or if there are the R2 can't distinguish them or reject any of them. They all show up as a single peer connection.

Because of this,... If Bungie or Steam.. I don't know who .. decides to place a  player with a high ping in your game through the server that you picked, even one you personally have a good ping with., you'll have a laggy experience.

This kinda blows... Hopefully the Netduma guys are working on it.  I don't think there is much they can do because it seems like it's been changed  from your router/computer recognizing and accepting ip addresses to play a game, to not having access to ips or the ability to reject a high ping player. I'd say the control has been taken away.

Your best bet is to put pressure on Bungie/Steam to clean up their act regarding mixing players from different continents or pings.

44 minutes ago, Dumaguy1 said:

I think the geofiltering works to the extent that you can block server connections outside your region setting. Put the ping filter slider  to 0.

Put the filtering to strict and turn off fast search. It seems like it doesn't connect to outside servers. You should also do a unfiltered search fist to see where the servers are.. Make sure that there is a server inside the geo filter that you make or it won't work.

The issue is that there are no individual signals coming into the router. Or if there are the R2 can't distinguish them or reject any of them. They all show up as a single peer connection.

Because of this,... If Bungie or Steam.. I don't know who .. decides to place a  player with a high ping in your game through the server that you picked, even one you personally have a good ping with., you'll have a laggy experience.

This kinda blows... Hopefully the Netduma guys are working on it.  I don't think there is much they can do because it seems like it's been changed  from your router/computer recognizing and accepting ip addresses to play a game, to not having access to ips or the ability to reject a high ping player. I'd say the control has been taken away.

Your best bet is to put pressure on Bungie/Steam to clean up their act regarding mixing players from different continents or pings.

That's what i see as well its connecting to only servers not individuals players .

Surely if this the case its not peer to peer any more or is it just that geo does not see the players?

I don't no.. I do know I get some really laggy games from time to time with player names that seem to be from far away. I usually see a server just north of Texas and then player icons within the geofilter range... But I don't see more than 1 server and 2 player icons in a 12 player control game

5 minutes ago, Dumaguy1 said:

I don't no.. I do know I get some really laggy games from time to time with player names that seem to be from far away. I usually see a server just north of Texas and then player icons within the geofilter range... But I don't see more than 1 server and 2 player icons in a 12 player control game

the two player icons im getting that as well but they must be servers as i get the same one in different game modes and at different times its just they have not been up dated as servers so the appear as player icons.

But as you say it is only searching them servers within the geo filter.