Unable to get low ping servers

OldSchool

Hello all,

has anyone been able to get better ping servers with geofilter? My ISP is supposed to give me 500 mbps download, with installing the netduma i get about 220mpbs supposedly, which is good enough to be able to get low ping.

i’ve been setting the geofilter polygon mode to 5 20-25 ping servers i found on the ping map, yet whenever i get into any of those lobbies, my latency is usually around 50. 

Am I offtrack here?

heres what helps me

-  set your home in the middle of the atlantic

- set your radius  lowest setting

-  set your  ping assist to where you want it at (mine is on 15 to get  my  lowest  lobbies, highest i set it to it 50)

-  (optional)   toggle auto ping host.   this is a funny setting, at my GF i leave it on and it works fine, at my house, i need this off

-  if you get into a bad server, manual  click it on the map, and  block it,  allow the good servers you get.  after a while most of your games will be in that server

this  is my best method for games,  later on in nights , it may act up but i reconmend it.   report back with your results

• Administrators

Make sure you've entered your speeds into the Congestion Control menu - Set Bandwidth Speeds - then do a wired speed test on speedtest.net and see what you get.

When you're saying you're getting 50ms are you checking this in game? If so that is about right. The 25ms servers shown by heatmap/geo-filter is your ping direct to the server. The discrepancy shown on the game is inclusive of processing delay - all games have it - not all choose to show it in their ping calculations as there is nothing you can do to reduce this other than forcing different servers but the 25ms discrepancy you have is about right so no issues there.

On 3/30/2021 at 3:46 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Make sure you've entered your speeds into the Congestion Control menu - Set Bandwidth Speeds - then do a wired speed test on speedtest.net and see what you get.

When you're saying you're getting 50ms are you checking this in game? If so that is about right. The 25ms servers shown by heatmap/geo-filter is your ping direct to the server. The discrepancy shown on the game is inclusive of processing delay - all games have it - not all choose to show it in their ping calculations as there is nothing you can do to reduce this other than forcing different servers but the 25ms discrepancy you have is about right so no issues there.

So this is strange. I've been using the R1 for almost a year playing Modern Warfare. I'm based in the UK, and I set the geofilter small and around england, I set ping assist to 15ms. Now it has previously always put me into games with a latency of 12/13/14ms.

Now, even with ping assist set to 15, I'm being put into lobbies with 20+, 30+, it's very strange (with or without strict mode enabled). Previously, the ping measurements would only begin upon the match beginning, now these ping measurements occur even when in the lobby.

Did something change in the way the geo-filter works? Or perhaps Activision has changed the way the matchmaker works?

• Administrators

Ping Assist only works outside the radius so previously it would have been a coincidence that the games within your radius would have been under this ping. Is that what the Geo-Filter shows about 20-30ms for the UK server?

18 hours ago, Ursy said:

So this is strange. I've been using the R1 for almost a year playing Modern Warfare. I'm based in the UK, and I set the geofilter small and around england, I set ping assist to 15ms. Now it has previously always put me into games with a latency of 12/13/14ms.

Now, even with ping assist set to 15, I'm being put into lobbies with 20+, 30+, it's very strange (with or without strict mode enabled). Previously, the ping measurements would only begin upon the match beginning, now these ping measurements occur even when in the lobby.

Did something change in the way the geo-filter works? Or perhaps Activision has changed the way the matchmaker works?

for me this is  normal.  if i see a server  pinged for 15 on the  filter, i feel like Cold war adds  10 ish more  ping.  the  ping assist is still working  imho 

19 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Ping Assist only works outside the radius so previously it would have been a coincidence that the games within your radius would have been under this ping. Is that what the Geo-Filter shows about 20-30ms for the UK 

Ahh right okay I see what I did. I had raised the size of the filter meaning ping-assist would only work outside of the low ping servers. Thank you for the reply it's fixed my issue!