Bridge Mode?

Simon

Can someone please explain bridge mode and how I can put my router on bridge mode? I had technicians come in regarding my internet and were saying that havin two routers is bad for my internet connection and that I need to put my router on bridge mode. 

• Administrators

Bridge mode is done on the ISP modem/router, usually an option on the ISP router interface, if not then if you call them they may be able to activate it for you.

Bridge mode isn't required though, you can use the DMZ on the ISP router instead by putting the R2 WAN IP (found on the System Information page on the R2) which will achieve a similar affect.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Bridge mode is done on the ISP modem/router, usually an option on the ISP router interface, if not then if you call them they may be able to activate it for you.

Bridge mode isn't required though, you can use the DMZ on the ISP router instead by putting the R2 WAN IP (found on the System Information page on the R2) which will achieve a similar affect.

So pretty much get the R2 WAN IP, and then log on to the ISP model and add that to the DMZ?

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, Simon said:

So pretty much get the R2 WAN IP, and then log on to the ISP model and add that to the DMZ?

Yes, that would be the easiest way to have them work well together and ensure an open NAT on your devices connected to the R2.

• 7 months later...
On 3/23/2021 at 8:01 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes, that would be the easiest way to have them work well together and ensure an open NAT on your devices connected to the R2.

So i have a modem+router device from isp. Will doing the DMZ method work the same for me?

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, Eefo said:

So i have a modem+router device from isp. Will doing the DMZ method work the same for me?

Yes if you put the R2 WAN IP (found on the System Information page) into the DMZ on your ISP modem/router that will get you an Open NAT on devices connected to the R2. It's how I have mine setup as well.

• Administrators
58 minutes ago, dpk_ydv said:

Fraser, is putting R2 in DMZ same as forwarding all ports to R2? If I forward ports 1-65535 to R2 on my ISP router, will it effectively put the R2 in DMZ?

Yes you can do that and it will have the same effect. The DMZ though has the extra benefit that it bypasses the firewall and so there is less routing involved.

• 2 years later...

Great topic guys. This worked for me. I didn't know but I've probably had a double NAT TYPE this whole time. Maybe that created inconsisties with my bullet reg 🤔  I don't know but since doing the dmz isp method I now have Open NAT. thanks