Congestion control

Oren Tasuna

Hi,

I'm trying to understand how to set congestion control correctly.

I have a 1000 DL/100 UL Fiber connection, and when I do speed test (Ookla) I get ~ 850/90.
However, in connection benchmark I only get ~100/90.

So, what will be the effect of setting congestion control to something like 50%/50% (500/50)? is this based on actual speeds (meaning I'll have ~350/40 protected from greedy clients), or will greedy clients consume all DL because your speeds evaluation result in only 100 DL? or will it result in something else based on some other calculation?

It's odd that you get such low scores in Connection Benchmark but not on a third party speed test. Double check to make sure your speeds are correctly configured in the three-dot menu in the top right -> Advanced -> Network speeds.

Settings your congestion control to 50/50 will limit bandwidth to 50% of what you configured these bandwidth speeds to be, hence why it can be detrimental if they're not correctly configured.

Hi,

The results I get from are from speedtest.net and are consistent with my experience. I also get in connection benchmark a ~70ms ping, which is a strong indication that my speeds are not checked against a close server. in speedtest.net I get 1-2 ms ping.

I did the test before setting congestion control (was set to never and 100%/100%), this is why I opened this topic - to understand how to configure it correctly.

• Administrators

We're still working on the speeds being reported by Benchmark so you can ignore that for now. Benchmark uses the Google servers for the ping tests so if you don't have a good ping to that server that will be why. Configure QoS based on your reported speedtest results.