Very slow upload speed.

fmac

Hello,

I just received my brand new Netduma R2.

Everything works perfectly, except the upload speed. I have 1 gigabit bandwith connection. Speed test for download are quite ok (around 900 Mbits) but upload are really bad, around 10 or 15 Mbits.

Right now I'm only connecting a laptop and a desktop computer to the router. Wifi is disabled. I've tried disabling QoS and also playing around with the QoS configuration for uploads, even giving more than 50% of the bandwith to Web browsing, as the test are done in my browser. But nothing works.

Obviously I have also tried without the router, and everything works fine in that case, so it is not a bandwith problem.

Please I need your help to solve this, as I need to upload very large files (between 5 GB and 8 GB) to Youtube constantly, and with the Netduma R2 is impossible.

Thanks.

Thanks! How were you disabling QoS out of interest? The best way to do this is to go to the three line menu in Congestion Control. 

Just out of interest, could you also quickly try re-enabling Wi-Fi and see if devices connected of Wi-Fi also get slow upload speeds?

Hello Liam,

Yes, I did disable QoS from that menu. Attached screenshot.

Problem is similar if I try to repeat the test using wifi, but the results are inconsistent:

iPad: download - 116 Mb / upload 124 Mb

iPhone: download - 300 Mb / upload 38 Mb

Macbook pro: download - 24 Mb / upload 47 Mb

I'm not interested into use routers Wifi, as I have another Wifi system very efficient. But upload speeds using ethernet is still a big problem.

iPad.png

iPhone.png

Macbook.png

QoS.png

Sure, but right now the Netduma is not the gateway of my network. As I'm still testing it, due to the upload speed problems I couldn't put it "in production".

So you're going to see in the ARP list a lost of different devices that are not using the Netduma as the network gateway. Only "PACO-PC" is using it.

Table2.png

table1.png

Table3.png

Table4.png

• Administrators

What was the previous router you used before the R2? Do you still have it? If so get that routers MAC address and in the R2 WAN Settings give the R2 that address, apply, then reboot and see whether the speeds have increased please.

I was using the default modem-router given by my operator (Movistar). In this case the model is Askey RTF3505VW.

This router has also 4 ethernet ports, where I connected some switches, and from the switches I connected different devices like my desktop.

What MAC address exactly do you want me to copy?

That's not possible. There is a fiber connection, and the R2 doesn't have a fiber interface.

But I have done more test, with different results:

• Macbook pro: download 700 Mb / upload 584 Mb
  • iPad: download 190 Mb / upload 275 Mb
  • iPhone: download 80 Mb / upload 90 Mb
  • Another Windows 10 machine: download 320 Mb / upload 400 Mb
  • My Windows 10 machine: download 517 Mb / upload 5 Mb

So we can say that the issue is only reproduced in my Windows computer. When I'm connected directly to the Movistar modem-router I don't have this problem, but when using the R2 then this problem happen.

5 hours ago, fmac said:

That's not possible. There is a fiber connection, and the R2 doesn't have a fiber interface.

But I have done more test, with different results:

• Macbook pro: download 700 Mb / upload 584 Mb
  • iPad: download 190 Mb / upload 275 Mb
  • iPhone: download 80 Mb / upload 90 Mb
  • Another Windows 10 machine: download 320 Mb / upload 400 Mb
  • My Windows 10 machine: download 517 Mb / upload 5 Mb

So we can say that the issue is only reproduced in my Windows computer. When I'm connected directly to the Movistar modem-router I don't have this problem, but when using the R2 then this problem happen.

OK, thank you. Are any of the other devices you've tested their connected using wired or can we say we're seeing better speeds over Wi-Fi for the most part?

• Administrators

Sorry for the late reply. Could you follow this guide to change specific settings on your Windows network adapter and see if that improves the speeds? https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/202118518-Optimizing-Ethernet-Adapter-Settings-for-Maximum-Performance