VPN connected but Warzone showing my true location?

Lao Ban

I am using pure VPN, I can connect with ease to most countries, however today when I check my war zone settings, under "geographical location" I am still in my city. Yesterday, I was able to see I was in the same city/location as the selected VPN. 

I have tired to reboot system, and obviously reset my game. This is only my 2nd day with the R2 or any gaming router in general. Bare with me! 

The goal here is to find a random country with a good or decent ping, using the geo filter to set a boundary. With the VPN and Geo filter working correctly, that should bypass the 
" you know what matchmaking" and place me into this specific server. 

SOS!

Thx

hey legend, 

thanks again. Where exactly am I looking for greyed out section? I connected through the dumaos. I signed up on the spot with "pure" and was very easy to connect form there. 

After resting my series x again, I was able to access the VPN and it took me to Europe which was good, but cant get into any games, well mostly because it does not show any servers. 

• Administrators

So for example (assume the left side is connected properly) and you've added your device it would appear unselectable on the right, is this how you've added it?

image.png

For servers not appearing do this:

1. Hard turn off the console
  2. Remove device from Geo-Filter
  3. Flush cloud from Geo-Filter Map menu
  4. Re-add the device to the Geo-Filter
  5. Setup the Geo-Filter how you would like
  6. Wait 2 minutes
  7. Boot up the client/game

Ok in terms of geo filter settings, is it best to have auto ping on or off? Any link for that? Or a guide of some sort to navigate which foreign servers are the best, best settings, how to use, etc! 

Thanks 

• Administrators

Auto Ping just automatically pings the host of your game so you can disable it but you would have to click the host manually to ping it, you also miss out on some ping stats by manually pinging it. It's personal preference really. 

We can't really say what servers are best as that will differ for each person. We have profiles on the Geo-Filter that you can select which will pre-determine some basic settings but I'd suggest experimenting with the Geo. Do a Connection Benchmark test and take note of the Ping Under Load settings, then experiment with the percentages on Congestion Control while using the Always option and see which percentages lower the Ping Under Load test as much as possible.

for example ...Right now I have been trying to get into a lobby on the Seattle and miami server for 1 hour. Nothing. The only thing selected on the geo filter is strict mode. The VPN is disconnected. The available servers keep popping up and disappearing (miami and Seattle ) 

Cant get the hang of it yet. no rhyme or reason. 

Have resetted everything multiple times. I cant get into a game for the last 6 hours. On a funny note? My 1st drop on Seattle server was a 10 kill Dub. I really hope this is just rookie shit, and I will get it sorted eventually. Every time a server pops up, I add it to the list and there are roughly 5 or 6 on the "allow" list. 

I am located In Western Canada if that helps. 

• Administrators

Did my steps 1-7 not help at all with forcing games in the US? We are retesting the game at the moment as I think they have changed something with the last update so we may need to do a cloud update for example.

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Did my steps 1-7 not help at all with forcing games in the US? We are retesting the game at the moment as I think they have changed something with the last update so we may need to do a cloud update for example.

Hey Fraser, i am on PC, when i use the hybrid vpn my device is not greyed ( because my device manager is not set on playstation i guess right? )  How can i open some ports in the advance tab if i cant when it is greyed out )

Thank you

11 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If it is greyed out then it applies to the entire device. Otherwise you'll have to change the device type back to PC and then you can specify ports on the VPN

Okay so i put device to PC, apply my specify ports, switch my device as playstation and the port will still be applied .  right ?

• Administrators
45 minutes ago, Lolitahell said:

Okay so i put device to PC, apply my specify ports, switch my device as playstation and the port will still be applied .  right ?

No you would have to keep it as a PC otherwise it would just VPN the whole device again

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I guess I just need a better understanding of how the R2 is supposed to work. By this I specially mean in regards to COD SBMM. 

So for example, let’s say the best player in the world lives in Seattle. His kd is 500/1. He uses the Geo filter to put a box around the Seattle server. Is this person now going to ONLY be placed into  game on the Seattle server? Because that wouldn’t make any sense, the SBMM should kick in and send him to a match of his his caliber. 

I certainly know that the point of this tech is NOT used to expose the SBMM. But if I work backwards, I should be able to get my answer. I need to 1st understand exactly how the servers work. 

if you have a .80 kd and live in Canada. You don’t have an Netduma , I can guarantee it does not place you in a server closest to you. It’s always random. 

Maybe it’s just easiest to ask this way -

Does setting the geo filter around a specific server, guarantees you will be placed into that server? I mean nothing in this world is a 100% guarantee but you know what I mean. SHOULD IT. 

I do have a part 2 that should be easier to answer. 

if I am using the PURE VPN and I have my Xbox properly set up and linked. If my Xbox thinks I am in Brazil. There is a server in Brazil 1 mile from my “supposed location” why doesn’t the ping go down? 

my guess is it’s just a pump fake on the system, and the PING is based of your pure physical location from server? 

would love to set my VPN to somewhere in Africa. Xbox things I am in Africa. I simply load game if I was just a regular Nigerian dude playing the game. 

We get that for the r3 now we’re talkin ! 

4 minutes ago, Lao Ban said:

if I am using the PURE VPN and I have my Xbox properly set up and linked. If my Xbox thinks I am in Brazil. There is a server in Brazil 1 mile from my “supposed location” why doesn’t the ping go down? 

my guess is it’s just a pump fake on the system, and the PING is based of your pure physical location from server? 

would love to set my VPN to somewhere in Africa. Xbox things I am in Africa. I simply load game if I was just a regular Nigerian dude playing the game. 

This is impossible. Your connection with your ISP and the distance you need to travel to get to Africa does not change with a VPN. You still need to travel the distance, so your ping goes up. 

You are looking for something that is not possible, not with a R2/R3 or R anything. 

SBMM is not only based on location, there are more factors and the geo-filter is not going to beat that. 

Of course. Which is what I would logically assume. 

Ok, so let me ask you this. You obviously know what's up, what is the biggest benefit of owning one of these then? I among many others, bought this to find a way to enjoy playing COD again in more casual lobbies. 

There doesn't seem to be a step by step guide on "hey this is how you do it, or at least your very best chance" obviously all the content whores on YouTube have made plenty of videos, which are also vague. 

6 minutes ago, Lao Ban said:

Of course. Which is what I would logically assume. 

Ok, so let me ask you this. You obviously know what's up, what is the biggest benefit of owning one of these then? I among many others, bought this to find a way to enjoy playing COD again in more casual lobbies. 

There doesn't seem to be a step by step guide on "hey this is how you do it, or at least your very best chance" obviously all the content whores on YouTube have made plenty of videos, which are also vague. 

The biggest benefit would be you can force into servers near by for the lowest ping possible. 

The YouTubers make those kind of videos for their own benefit. The more viewers, the more money they generate. It’s a shame alot of people buy it for the reason that it’s not for. It is not going to beat SBMM because location is only one of many factors. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Lao Ban said:

I guess I just need a better understanding of how the R2 is supposed to work. By this I specially mean in regards to COD SBMM. 

So for example, let’s say the best player in the world lives in Seattle. His kd is 500/1. He uses the Geo filter to put a box around the Seattle server. Is this person now going to ONLY be placed into  game on the Seattle server? Because that wouldn’t make any sense, the SBMM should kick in and send him to a match of his his caliber. 

I certainly know that the point of this tech is NOT used to expose the SBMM. But if I work backwards, I should be able to get my answer. I need to 1st understand exactly how the servers work. 

if you have a .80 kd and live in Canada. You don’t have an Netduma , I can guarantee it does not place you in a server closest to you. It’s always random. 

Maybe it’s just easiest to ask this way -

Does setting the geo filter around a specific server, guarantees you will be placed into that server? I mean nothing in this world is a 100% guarantee but you know what I mean. SHOULD IT. 

1 hour ago, Lao Ban said:

Yes it should get you a game within that radius. The reason why that works is because in each of these locations they actually have a lot of servers and in a heavily populated place like Seattle/US they have a lot of players where they can match you according to skill. You're right, without the Geo-Filter you're at the whim of the game and where it wants to put you. The idea of changing your location to beat SBMM is really the idea that by choosing a server where the game population is lower then the game wouldn't have as many players to match you based on skill and so just to make a game they will put you with whoever but your ping will be higher this way.

So just like in real life the further away it is the longer it will take you to get there - ping. Here is an example of why the ping isn't lower but is actually higher, say you are located in LA and want to get a server in Africa:

300 Ping round trip = You > Africa server
                                      Africa server > you 
350 Ping round trip = You > VPN > Africa server
                                      Africa server > VPN > you

You have added two more hops to your journey so it will take longer.

wow I hope they pay you well, amazing detail thank you. Last one for the day, I promise. 

What would be the purpose of using both VPN and Geo Filter then? From what I can tell, anything over 200 is just unplayable. So if you relocate to even Londan England, you face this imminent issue. Is it just cool to show your friends, hey look! My options menu thinks I am in Kabul, but Im not! hahahahah -_- Just dont see how its of any value in that regard.

any situation where it would be useful?

• Administrators

Haha thank you, you're very welcome!

It's quite hard to force very far away servers using the Geo-Filter if you hit a ping limit set by the game, you're also restricting the search to one server for example but as they know your real location they may just think that if it searches for longer it will be able to make a connection to a server they know are closer. Using the VPN will change your location according to the game and so even though the ping will be high they may get you in a game as it may be the only thing available to you so using it with the Geo-Filter can force a specific one further away more easily. It's all quite hard to say as we're making assumptions on how they matchmake.