Not achieving ISP Speeds

Wayne

I pay for verizon fios gigabyte which is 940mbs download and 880mbs upload, however i'm not getting those speeds and i'm getting different speeds from different sources, When I contacted the ISP they basically told me they don't support the router which I find it hard to believe that it's the routers fault.

Curious as if anyone had any ideas? The three test were taken back to back.

Screenshot_2021-03-06 Connection Benchmark - DumaOS.png

Screenshot_2021-03-06 Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test.png

Screenshot_2021-03-06 Speed test result.png

• Administrators

Connection Benchmark we're still improving on the speed reported there so you can forget that for the moment. What QoS settings are you using currently? Have you tried with it disabled from the Congestion Control 3 line option menu?

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Connection Benchmark we're still improving on the speed reported there so you can forget that for the moment. What QoS settings are you using currently? Have you tried with it disabled from the Congestion Control 3 line option menu?

this is with qos on never, and everything on qos is default, i will try to disable it through the menu now

goodput is ticked.

Screenshot.png

With it disabled from the menu i'm still recieving low speeds, this is my gaming pc (Ethernet), my wifi is 30/30ish on 2 phones and 1 tablet, is there a special channel or channel width? i don't understand why my wifi is so slow also

download is 940/upload is 880 (verizon fios gigabyte plan)

how do i assign whether a device is 2.4 or 5.0 or does it automatically decide ?

Screenshot_2021-03-06 QoS - DumaOS.png

Screenshot_2021-03-06 Speed test result(1).png

• Administrators

What is the model or your modem/router - are ALL devices connected to the R2? We're working on improving the WiFi at the moment, disable mirror mode, name 2.4/5GHz differently, apply then reboot the router. Use a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channel in your area and change to that, also switch 5GHz to 80 width and see if it is improved.

51 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What is the model or your modem/router - are ALL devices connected to the R2? We're working on improving the WiFi at the moment, disable mirror mode, name 2.4/5GHz differently, apply then reboot the router. Use a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channel in your area and change to that, also switch 5GHz to 80 width and see if it is improved.

Modern -> R2, Everything is connected to the R2 as it's my only way to connect, I will disable mirror mode, I'm not exaclty sure what you mean name 2.4/5gh differently?

Do you have a recommendation for a wifi analyzer?

Thanks again!

Screenshot_2021-03-06 Device Manager - DumaOS.png

• Administrators

So mirror mode makes both 2.4GHz & 5GHz one SSID/WiFi name and then intelligently connects your devices to whichever band they need. When you disable mirror mode you should name each one differently otherwise you won't be able to tell which is which if that makes sense.

There is a free WiFi analyzer on the Microsoft Store for Windows 10 - it's just called WiFi Analyzer.

3 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

So mirror mode makes both 2.4GHz & 5GHz one SSID/WiFi name and then intelligently connects your devices to whichever band they need. When you disable mirror mode you should name each one differently otherwise you won't be able to tell which is which if that makes sense.

There is a free WiFi analyzer on the Microsoft Store for Windows 10 - it's just called WiFi Analyzer.

ahh i understand what you are saying now! I just actually downloaded inSSIDer and found out that channel 11 is least crowded in my area, once again appreciate all the help as usual!

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You're very welcome, let us know how you get on!

no matter what I do I'm having no luck achieving the speeds i'm paying for with the R2, not exactly sure what i'm doing wrong, i'v even went as far as factory reseting and starting from scratch.

• Administrators

I think the 830Mbps might be the maximum you're going to get but try this please and see if it helps:

• Disable IPv6 in LAN/WAN
  • Disable both protection options in WAN 
  • Ensure Adblocker is disabled

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I think the 830Mbps might be the maximum you're going to get but try this please and see if it helps:

• Disable IPv6 in LAN/WAN
  • Disable both protection options in WAN 
  • Ensure Adblocker is disabled

I agree, but im only getting 3xx, which is perfectly okay because once i hit 6xx i start to get bufferbloat issues, but i just dont understand why its limiting it, i will give that a try

I still have the verizon fios router for 3 days until I have to return it, it's the G3100 so I can do testing with it for 3 more days

With the G3100 I am achieving very close to the ISP speeds, I wish I took screenshots of before so I don't have to hook everything back up again, but if need be I def. can do that

The second picture of the speed test "Port Scan Protection" and "Syn Flood Protection" were ticked.

First picture is with "Port Scan Protection" and "Syn Flood Protection" unticked.

I'm not familiar with port scan protection or syn flood protection at all but it seems to cause some sort of bufferbloat/latency for me?

Screenshot_2021-03-07 Speed test result(1).png

Screenshot_2021-03-07 Speed test result.png

• Administrators

Thanks for all that, it's really helpful. Could you do a factory reset, complete the setup wizard and don't change any settings please. Do a test without QoS disabled, one with bandwidth speeds set to 1000/1000 but still enabled and one with it fully disabled?

FYI: Port Scan/Syn Flood

They are forms of protection from ddos and malacious attacks from outside of your network which is good but now for the bad.  Those packets have to be examined and so your throughput can be slowed due to this. 

6 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for all that, it's really helpful. Could you do a factory reset, complete the setup wizard and don't change any settings please. Do a test without QoS disabled, one with bandwidth speeds set to 1000/1000 but still enabled and one with it fully disabled?

sure can give me a few moments please and thank you my friend, apprecaite everything im sorry im being such a pain

54 minutes ago, PharmDawgg said:

FYI: Port Scan/Syn Flood

They are forms of protection from ddos and malacious attacks from outside of your network which is good but now for the bad.  Those packets have to be examined and so your throughput can be slowed due to this. 

thank you! I had no idea what they were, considering I do not stream or anything I should be fine leaving those off? I know it's a risk but i'd rather have the advatage of latency and take the risk

Edit: in network settings, what is "Allow Ping"?

• Administrators

Definite progress! Was the last test done with those options off as well? You should be fine to leave them off yes, I just wouldn't recommend using the DMZ with them off. Actually saying that, re-enable them, put the PC in the DMZ just to do a speedtest and see if it improves anymore.

3 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Definite progress! Was the last test done with those options off as well? You should be fine to leave them off yes, I just wouldn't recommend using the DMZ with them off. Actually saying that, re-enable them, put the PC in the DMZ just to do a speedtest and see if it improves anymore.

both test were done after factory reset, both 1000/1000, only difference was the second one was qos disabled

edit: not exactly sure how to put pc in the dmz

What exactly is allow ping?