R2 infront of Google Wifi Primary device

Russ_T

Hi all,

Love the Netduma R2 so far which arrived today. I just tried putting it between my router/modem and my Google Wifi primary access point. It of course doesn't differentiate any devices after that. I have tried searching the forums but haven't had much luck.

My Google Wifi primary meshes to 4 other Wireless APs, and is then wired to a big switch that runs my house. I like having Google Wifi control my network, dhcp, naming, address reservation as a) it's convenient and b) I have already set everything up. Maybe though I need to make the Netduma the boss and have google wifi just do wifi.

Is there any thing I can do so I can leave it in this config, but discover the devices please? Then I can set rules for them, I want to be able to use all the Netduma features and get rid of my Fingbox.

For now I will put it between my gaming rig and the network, I can at least use the geo fencing then. 

Thank you

Russ

NetdumaR2.PNG

13 minutes ago, Russ_T said:

Hi all,

Love the Netduma R2 so far which arrived today. I just tried putting it between my router/modem and my Google Wifi primary access point. It of course doesn't differentiate any devices after that. I have tried searching the forums but haven't had much luck.

My Google Wifi primary meshes to 4 other Wireless APs, and is then wired to a big switch that runs my house. I like having Google Wifi control my network, dhcp, naming, address reservation as a) it's convenient and b) I have already set everything up. Maybe though I need to make the Netduma the boss and have google wifi just do wifi.

Is there any thing I can do so I can leave it in this config, but discover the devices please? Then I can set rules for them, I want to be able to use all the Netduma features and get rid of my Fingbox.

For now I will put it between my gaming rig and the network, I can at least use the geo fencing then. 

Thank you

Russ

NetdumaR2.PNG

Thats strange i use a AP and i can still see my other devices' wanted to put all my AP devices into a POOL and not notice them.

So i have my modem then R2 the AP even though it shows all them devices offline they aren't So eventually i turned off the Wi-Fi on R2  and this what it looks like.

Capture.PNG

@Russ_T I believe if you are having the Google Wi-Fi control most of the network settings then the R2 will not be able to see the individual devices that are connected to it, you should only be able to see this if it's in full AP mode as @SETi-D has shown with his screenshot. You could however try connecting the devices you want to Geo-filter directly to your R2? That will still mean that you can control the network in QoS.

@SETi-D I'm not sure why those devices are showing as being offline, I can see there that the AP is showing as being online though. What AP are you using specifically?

1 hour ago, Netduma Liam said:

@Russ_T I believe if you are having the Google Wi-Fi control most of the network settings then the R2 will not be able to see the individual devices that are connected to it, you should only be able to see this if it's in full AP mode as @SETi-D has shown with his screenshot. You could however try connecting the devices you want to Geo-filter directly to your R2? That will still mean that you can control the network in QoS.

@SETi-D I'm not sure why those devices are showing as being offline, I can see there that the AP is showing as being online though. What AP are you using specifically?

Hi Liam i am using a netgear 6220 in AP mode its just for the WIFI.

Its strange right becouse in the screen shot it shows my lady's pad as being connected via lan witch is impossible i don't get why the device manager is behaving like this however i have decided to leave it alone as its working ok.

I would prefer to have all my Wi-Fi devices running through the AP and just have up/down speeds pool and not see them on the duma os.

Capture.thumb.PNG.feb288b5d789c3b4803d738c64f131ee.png

ap.PNG

• Administrators
1 hour ago, ONEovFOUR said:

Hi Liam i am using a netgear 6220 in AP mode its just for the WIFI.

Its strange right becouse in the screen shot it shows my lady's pad as being connected via lan witch is impossible i don't get why the device manager is behaving like this however i have decided to leave it alone as its working ok.

I would prefer to have all my Wi-Fi devices running through the AP and just have up/down speeds pool and not see them on the duma os.

It shows as a wired device as the AP router is connected via ethernet so technically it is connected to the router via ethernet as the iPad traffic goes through WiFi to the AP which then goes through ethernet to the R2.

Thank you. So I have spent/wasted a lot of time trying to resolve this now.

Turns out my Google Wifi doesn't do bridged mode with a mesh network, only individual APs, missing the whole point of it.

My options are to buy a new mesh network (most of the other decent ones will do mesh with bridge), or as you say put the netduma between my gaming rig and the network so I can still use the geo fence tools. This is what I bought it for (getting the best COD server I can) so I have opted for that now.

I am going to see if I can put the Netduma into a bridge mode, so I can see the other devices on network, but it feels to get the best of the netduma I need to upgrade my mesh wifi to something that does bridge mode, then make the netduma the main router.

Modem/router -> Netduma R2 -> Main switch -> other switches
                                                       -> Mesh wifi router capable of meshing in bridge mode -> other mesh satellites

Cheers

I am using Google Wifi for my mesh network. The biggest problem I have is Google Wifi does not support bridged mode and mesh networking. If you go to bridge mode the mesh network behaves as individual APs. This is how I had it setup. It didn't work well, something wrecked my XBox chat system. I took the Netduma out of the network last night and everything started to work again.
image.png.fd82f06aeea51d136bd12de21f06d610.png

My Wifi primary connects to the modem/router on it's WAN port, and works great. It managed my network well and does the DHCP, local dns etc. I assumed my netduma -> gaming rig network would work on it's own nicely (with it's own IP range) but it doesn't appear to be. The local DNS stuff my Google Wifi does is lost (e.g. printer.local and nas.local, for things I have set hostnames for), and as I mentioned my xbox chat died. I will spend today trying to reduce how much the NetDuma does, maybe fixing it's IP and my gaming rig IP to that of my main Google network.

• Administrators

The Xbox chat was likely due to the Geo-Filter, all you need to do is add your friends to your allow list, you can see how to do so at the bottom of this guide:

http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000077072-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-geo-filter

Thank you Fraser, I figured something was up but hadn't realised it was filtering more than just my COD servers. I'll do it properly with profiles next time.

As for my Netduma between my Draytek Router and Google Wifi issue I have resolved it!

I factory reset the Netduma, and inserted it between my router/modem and the rest of my network. It tried to detect the internet, no joy. Dozens of times I tried this, using the DHCP setting.

I toggled off both IPV6 options, and suddenly it could see the internet! I thought that was weird, so I toggled on both IPV6 options again and weirdly it could still see the internet. Anyway I accepted those settings and it seems to have been working fine since.

I can't explain why, but that toggling off, detecting, and toggling on, appeared to fix it for me.

Cheers

Well, I'm back again. Turns out I had it mostly working but ... I've had to take the Netduma out for now.

I put my wifi on the Duma DMZ thinking awesome, that'll solve some problems. And afaik everything worked, I could talk to my printer on the wifi, other devices etc.

What doesn't work is any of my Ring doorbell or Chimes. We couldn't figure out why parcels were being left around the back and now we know why lol.

Are there any tips for how to configure them to work? What could be filtering it? My Duma is pretty much default settings apart from setting my gaming rig to filter COD servers by ping.

%3CmxGraphModel%3E%3Croot%3E%3CmxCell%20id%3D%220%22%2F%3E%3CmxCell%20id%3D%221%22%20parent%3D%220%22%2F%3E%3CmxCell%20id%3D%222%22%20value%3D%22%22%20style%3D%22shape%3Dimage%3BverticalLabelPosition%3Dbottom%3BlabelBackgroundColor%3D%23ffffff%3BverticalAlign%3Dtop%3Baspect%3Dfixed%3BimageAspect%3D0%3Bimage%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fencrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com%2Fimages%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AANd9GcRLGJxYVFpABbK5u72Dm4vbshiqBcMBfUKUmWhlhO2Bd_nufFJqJq1kaRcf4LvfxPWoXoBfYKu2%26amp%3Busqp%3DCAc%3B%22%20vertex%3D%221%22%20parent%3D%221%22%3E%3CmxGeometry%20x%3D%22675.95%22%20y%3D%22240%22%20width%3D%2264.05%22%20height%3D%2250%22%20as%3D%22geometry%22%2F%3E%3C%2FmxCell%3E%3C%2Froot%3E%3C%2FmxGraphModel%3E

ring layout.png

Hi Liam, 

So I saw that. When I remove the netduma from the system though it just works and I don't have to do port forwarding at all. So I am assuming Google Wifi -> Ring is fine.

Cheers

It could be the Netduma firewall I suppose?

Fixing firewall issues

If you suspect your gateway is blocking the ports needed, you can change the firewall configuration to allow the listed protocols and ports and/or make your firewall settings less strict. 

If the problem is not with the gateway then it may be necessary to contact your ISP and explain the problem and communicate the ports detailed in the table below to see if they can assist in unblocking them.

Ports

Traffic type

Protocol

15063/15064

SIP

TCP/UDP

9998/9999/6970

RSS

TCP

16500-65000

RTP

UDP

7076/7077

App

UDP

9078/9079

App

UDP

• Administrators

I think you would probably need to disable Mirror mode for WiFi - the automatic switching between 2.4/5GHz might be the reason they're unable to connect successfully - try that and connect them to 2.4GHz and see if it works.

20 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I think you would probably need to disable Mirror mode for WiFi - the automatic switching between 2.4/5GHz might be the reason they're unable to connect successfully - try that and connect them to 2.4GHz and see if it works.

Sorry I should have been clear. I have disabled the wifi on the netduma as I have a strong mesh network with the google wifi across my house.

I have already done that, as shown in my post and diagram. It's confusing why that hasn't solved it. If it's on the DMZ I assumed that just let's traffic straight through and the netduma is almost invisible, at least to the device that's on it. I can try it all again tonight. I could try connecting my doorbell to the netduma WiFi as an experiment as well. My friend's setup works fine but he has his WiFi in bridge mode. 

• 2 weeks later...

In the end, all this google wifi stuff is a faff. Amazon just did a deal on their Eero Pro 6, so I have moved to their mesh wifi instead. They support bridge mode and these problems are now resolved.

Thanks for the support though.