DHCP Release not working

I have bookmarked the url and then tried manually entering the IP address in my ie browser and same results but the tutorial keeps popping up either way and my url is the same as once I enter the ip address of the R2 manually.

I complete at last two full tests when I first start gaming to see how my gaming is effecting the network and to see to it's hogging the network during that gaming session. Also I can't seem to get scheduled tests to run either and if they do they don't save either.

So it's giving me a C or lower grading on almost ever test I run. Upload Ping = 70ms, download ping = 20ms, idle ping is 10ms, all average #'s after running the Connection Benchmark tests multiply times.

I just moved and have a max speed package right now of 400mb/30mb, download/upload speeds via a coaxial feed from the street. I'm also going to upgrade my current isp modem to a NETGEAR - Nighthawk 32 x 8 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem and will be able to bump my service to 1GB/60mb, download/upload via my current coaxial feed from the street the ISP told me I could get. Just thought this might help with my upload pinging issue since the upload speeds from my isp are very low right now. I don't have fiber available in my area yet which sucks.

Also I just played around with the speed tests not saving and it seems I was mistaken in what I told you if I close the R2 interface and go back immediately it is still there but lets say tomorrow I go back in and its wiped the old speed test history. So it is saving but it seems like the flash memory/hardware memory is getting rid of it after a certain time period/frame?

• Administrators

Can you provide a screenshot of what you see regarding the tour please? Have you clicked the X to quit it?

Ping isn't necessarily related to the speed you get, you could have really higher speeds and a terrible ping or slow speeds and a great ping. You will need to experiment with percentages on Congestion Control using Always to find the best percentages to bring down the Ping Under Load results.

Are you rebooting the router daily by any chance?

So since I've disabled ipv6 on the lan and wan I havn't had to reboot the router and so it stop running the tutorial since I havn't had to reboot the router since the day you asked me to disable the ipv6 on lan and wan. I think it's only running when you first reboot the router so I'm assuming that's the way you guys have it programmed.

Well in my experience the ping is always related to your speed quality since normally they are ran to the same server for testing. The pinging could be related to the IPV6 translation issues with the software of the R2 no?

I know sometimes if certain ports are blocked by your isp that can also effect your ping response as well. What ports does the R2 use for pinging tests?

Again I'm also trying to understand how the testing on the connection benchmark is programmed and what servers do you guys have the tests that are ran on the router set to run the speed tests against and ping tests? This could also effect my quality as well. Upload on my ping is my concern since I only have low upload speeds available.

Side note I wish I could see/select what server my connection benchmark tests are being ran to.

Also I have to say upgrading to a nighthawk docsis 3.1 modem on my copper service made a huge performance difference on my network. A/+'s across the board on my connection benchmark tests so far, after new modem activation and rebooting the R2.

Question how do you setup the scheduled connection benchmark tests? I only see an enable or disable setting?

Never mind on that last question I found how to setup.

I thought you use to be able to set it on the top left menu button on the speed test interface page? Now you can only do from the scheduled tests history page?

• Administrators

Great to hear that, thanks for the update!

It should just detect you're not using IPv6 and just use IPv4 straight away but in theory you could be correct.

It uses ICMP I believe and uses the Google servers 8.8.8.8 for the Ping and Ping Under Load tests. The speed test uses https://speed.measurementlab.net/#/

Yes I believe so but we moved it to the actual page as it made more sense there.

So the r2 router seems good since I have not had to reboot it in a while since disabling the IPv6 on lan and wan.

I also did some more scheduled speed tests set for every 4 hours and it seems to only keep the last two tests but if I run extra tests on top of the scheduled ones it will lose those test results after about 8 hours and this doesn't matter if I keep the R2 web interface open or closed or power cycle the r2 it will lose its test history after about 8 hours no matter what.

Tutorial still pops up randomly havn't rebooted the router in a while or gone into r2 interface in a while and it's driving me crazy the pop ups.

Also randomly sometimes the rapps still having loading issues/won't load and I already have the reload settings set to try 5 times which is the max.

Also still having the r2 holding on to dhcp ip address's on it even after a device is offline for more then the 12 hour dhcp release time that's set by default or if I change to less hours no difference either. This was the main issue I started this topic for and have not heard of when this will be corrected or when any of these issues for that matter will be fixed since I'm still experiencing them?

• Administrators

It will lose the history if you reboot the router but if you don't then it should keep as many as you do really. Can you provide a screenshot of the entire browser window where it's showing you the tour please? Just to double check, I assume you haven't set reserved/static IPs for those devices in DHCP settings? 

Since disabling ipv6 I have not needed to reboot the router. Tour? Where is that page?

I have not assigned statics to these devices obviously, as mentioned the devices are friends and family that connect to the network and the r2 won’t release the offline devices. Only way to fix is to forget all offline devices but wipes sleeping devices as mentioned before this is not a fix. 

I have not setup any port forwarding or static routes yet since we started troubleshooting all of this stuff. Also I've been getting connected to terrible games ever since you had me disable ipv6 when will this and the other issues I've been discussing with you be fixed with a new update? We have only put a bandage on my first main issue of having to reboot the router all of the time but now the gaming servers I'm being connected to are terrible connections and this router seems way more unstable from my previous r1. Please let me know I've been very patient and I havn't heard you mention anything about updates to fix these issues only temporary fixes. I've spent alot of time communicating with you to help better your product. Rapps are still not loading smoothly and randomly I have to close my web interface or refresh the page I'm on cause the apps freeze randomly.

So to summarize my 3 major issues I'm still experiencing is the DHCP release which is the next major issue I have after we bandaged the constant rebooting of the router by disabling ipv6, the rapps freezing/not loading. Those are my three major issues I need fixed as of now. The rest of what we discussed was just more questions/non-major issues. Not sure if my bad server connections are related for sure to disabling my ipv6 but that is the only thing I have changed since I'm experiencing really bad server connection issues.

After doing some research all cod servers only communicate via ipv6 so it seems to me it's most likely due to ipv6 being disabled please let me know when these issues will be addressed? One bandage is leading to more system performance issues that are being effected. Please Help, I just want to enjoy my gaming experience.

And this is driving me crazy it's almost every time the tutorial pops up now and doesn't matter if I use my bookmarked dumaos url or I manuelly enter the ip of my r2 on my ie web browser. Again I not rebooted the router since disabling ipv6 since it hasn't locked up since then.

• Administrators

Your ISP doesn't support IPv6 so you were never using it so it's unlikely that would have affected your gameplay at all. Can you click on one of the devices that has been offline for over 12 hours please on the device manager and provide a screenshot please? A lot of people use IPv4 exclusively so if that were the case it wouldn't be an issue as it can be converted to IPv6 anyway. If you click skip tour what happens?

So I’m sorry we have to back up to my reboot issue it is still occurring, but it only happened 3x in the past 2 weeks since ipv6 disable once yesterday and one time this past Friday. Ipv6 is what most new servers and other external locations translate ip address’s to. My wife works from home and I have been working out of town a lot lately and she just told me the internet went down those 2 days last Friday twice in a day she had to reboot router to get connected to local WiFi/internet access as well. So at this point no matter what settings I/we have the router keeps locking up randomly and needing a reboot to bring my local network back up with internet access. At this point can I try a replacement unit? I feel like all roads point to failing hardware with default settings or random settings? What do you think?

After looking at my previous post the rebooting is a lot less compared to previous settings changes you had me do so I’m open to trying anything else if possible so I don’t have to reprogram a new router.