ICMP or TCP ping

kgrm

Hi forum, 

Why the router can ping the Warzone servers but I'm not able to ping them from my computer? Do you use TCP Ping? Because it looks the ICMP is not responding.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Good question. CoD no longer responds to traditional pings so we have to do something clever in order for us to get a ping response - it won't be possible for you to ping them manually using cmd for example.

10 hours ago, kgrm said:

Hi forum, 

Why the router can ping the Warzone servers but I'm not able to ping them from my computer? Do you use TCP Ping? Because it looks the ICMP is not responding.

Thanks!

basically its a tracert (pings every hop). it uses the last responding ip address for its ping. Which by the way is not a true result, The last hop (final destination) could be anything, best case scenario is its the same ping as the last repsonding. or worst case +1000ms,  who actually knows!

Screenshot 2021-02-19 005628.png

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

We don't use tracert, we intercept with game data in order to get a response.

Thats quite funny. every time i do this method it matches 100% of the time. 

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, RedBull2k said:

Thats quite funny. every time i do this method it matches 100% of the time. 

It's why if you copy one of those IP addresses then add it to a custom list on heatmap rather than clicking the add to list button it can't be pinged as we don't know whether it is a game server or not. Otherwise we'd just use tracert to get a response regardless. I asked the dev for this feature specifically and he assures me we intercept with game data to get a correct response.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 6:58 PM, RedBull2k said:

basically its a tracert (pings every hop). it uses the last responding ip address for its ping. Which by the way is not a true result, The last hop (final destination) could be anything, best case scenario is its the same ping as the last repsonding. or worst case +1000ms,  who actually knows!

Screenshot 2021-02-19 005628.png

I did a packet sniffing while the Netduma had an "extended ping" to the server 144.202.32.207 and I confirm that the router established a connection with the server, review the following pictures:

image.png.86d79afdfb4ea94b01618ccc0fcf087b.png

This was the server:

image.thumb.png.15b9a81a15677233b10e597e8056d15c.png

So your theory about the Netduma "pings" the last hop is not true.