How to block specific IP Address

I tried to utilise the function to block a specific IP address as I assumed it would be a simple enough process but despite selecting the desired IP address I found that the majority of my devices were blocked including my PC that was connected via the Lan??

All I want to do is create a list of devices and added them to a schedule but if blocking a single IP address blocks everything then I must be missing a step?

The other issue is that I have no idea what port each device is using as the device manager only tells you the IP and Mac address.

Perhaps all the devices share the same port so when I tried to block one IP it did the same to the port which blacked all but that's just a guess on my part.

Any advice on how I can get this right would be appreciated as I could not find any Youtube video tutorials on this issue.

• Administrators

If you want to block the entire device, instead select Any from the Service Type list, then click add. Then on the main Block Services page click per schedule. Then go to the schedule page in Content Filtering and setup the schedule you want it to be blocked.

It is a bit of a bust this feature,

I followed the steps provided and despite only the listed devices I wanted to have blocked via the schedule.

The Router still blocked the listed devices outside the schedule which defeats the point ??

I set up the schedule to block all services for two mobile phones between 21:00 and 07:00 but I just had to delete the schedule as my son's phone was blocked at 16:00

Unfortunately, the schedule has proved unreliable.

• Administrators

So just an update for you - they have said there is no block IP/device function on the Netgear side directly. However, they have asked me to get your backup/router configuration file and router interface password so they can restore it on one of their routers and have a look.

19 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

So just an update for you - they have said there is no block IP/device function on the Netgear side directly. However, they have asked me to get your backup/router configuration file and router interface password so they can restore it on one of their routers and have a look.

When NG ask for this it’s best to change your passwords for the logs then put your old ones back once done if a user is worried about that part of the security.

Cheers Guys,

Considering that it is a function offered with the DumaOs 2.0 its surprising that Netgear themselves don’t seem too familiar with it.

It’s now safe to assume that this function would not have improved with DumaOs 3.0.

I have personally abandoned the idea of blocking IP's as well as changed my mind in upgrading to XR1000 just get DumaOs 3.0.

I will keep my eye out on the market and see what happens with other brands.

• Administrators

With Traffic Controller on DumaOS 3.0 you can achieve this functionality and block a specific port/service for a device on a schedule. So XR450/500/700 in beta or XR1000, Netduma R2 can do that. Regarding this feature that's just what I was told by them.