XR500 into ISP modem/router

Just bought the XR500 and wanted to test it with my current setup meaning using it as a second router alongside the ISP modem/router (FritzBox 7430, ADSL2+, 2.4Ghz only, 802.11n, can't be set to bridge mode), before getting a different, proper modem to eliminate the unnecessary routing.

I opened the routerlogin page, chose automatic config but it didn't connect.

I tried rebooting my modem/router and it said "internet not available" so I couldn't get into the routerlogin page so I pressed the reset button and I'm now back on the routerlogin page.

Should I manually insert all the config settings?

Thanks

3 hours ago, Mirco29 said:

Just bought the XR500 and wanted to test it with my current setup meaning using it as a second router alongside the ISP modem/router (FritzBox 7430, ADSL2+, 2.4Ghz only, 802.11n, can't be set to bridge mode), before getting a different, proper modem to eliminate the unnecessary routing.

I opened the routerlogin page, chose automatic config but it didn't connect.

I tried rebooting my modem/router and it said "internet not available" so I couldn't get into the routerlogin page so I pressed the reset button and I'm now back on the routerlogin page.

Should I manually insert all the config settings?

Thanks

That's strange! Yes, try inserting configuration manually and see if that works.

30 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What config settings are you referring to exactly? It should be largely plug and play, where are you choosing automatic config, from the setup wizard?

I took a screenshot, apologies for it being in italian.
This is what I see on the routerlogin.net page after connecting to the XR500 Wi-Fi using its password.
1st-   Auto config
2nd- Manual config
3rd-  Load saved router's config settings
4th- self explanatory haha

Immagine.png

On 2/3/2021 at 9:32 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay let us know how you get on!

Basically I got it to work on every device except for an older Laptop which is the one I had issues with when making this thread.

I have a static IP, it doesn't connect to the XR500 Wi-Fi but it works with a LAN cable, tried disabling QoS but nothing changed. 

No idea what to do since we need to use that Laptop wirelessly for work.

Nothing, I was just trying to set it up only using that work laptop because it's the closest to the router. I then tried with another laptop and it worked (as with every other device) but I didn't change anything.

*Tried setting the XR500 to AP mode and it connects, there must be something weird with the wi-fi between the XR500 as a router and that specific laptop.

Yes I'm able to see the SSID, it says connected, internet not available.

On a side note, does having 2 routers make QoS and Geo-Filter less effective? 
Especially Geo-Filter because very few servers show up and even those with 15-20ms ping (on Netduma) result in 40-50ms ping in game and those with 300ms on Netduma result in 55-60ms in game, I'm confused.

• Administrators

Depending on how old the laptop is, it may be having trouble connecting to the WiFi due to Smart Connect. If you disable this and try to connect it to 2.4GHz manually does it work?

You would need to put the XR WAN IP from the System Information page into the Fritz DMZ so it can pass all traffic through to the XR without issue and that should improve it.

I had Smart Connect already disabled and it wasn't working, tried enabling it, then disabling it again but it still doesn't work.

I will try putting it into the DMZ and do as many tests as possible to see if the difference is noticeable.
Next step would be doing it properly by getting a DSL modem and setting bridge mode but it's a longer process since my current one is rented and I need all the parameters for a new one.

Maybe I'm asking too much for an ADSL connection but I'll try my best, I could always return the XR500 even if that was not the plan cause you guys provide the best support I've seen anywhere so far.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You said you have a static IP, are you referring to having set that on the laptop? That may be it, if you have the wireless adapter using automatic settings does it work?

My ISP gives me a static IP (for some reason); not sure I understood your second question?

I think I fixed it, went into wi-fi settings, IPv4, Properties, clicked on Obtain an IP address automatically (and also Obtain DNS server address automatically but I don't think that was needed), then I could connect to the XR500 Wi-Fi.

Basically the IP wasn't correct (or the DHCP wasn't assigning it correctly). I remember seeing "your IP has been modified to ...... to avoid conflicts with your ISP" or something like that on DumaOS a couple of days ago so that might be why.

Now onto testing QoS and Geo-Filter intensively (hoping my double router and moderate NAT don't mess with what I'll be testing?)