Apex Legends

MrDeadDad

Trying to play Apex and get back into it. idk if the servers arent updated, or if my settings are off for the game period, but i'm getting laggy lobbies no matter what i do.. ranked, duo's, etc... geo-filter off and on. radius was like 400 with dedi in my state exactly and im still getting laggy lobbies..i'll push radius out and still get it. Even have it set with the Apex settings for Geo-filter. Do i need to port forward anything specific?  

Web capture_29-1-2021_12286_192.168.77.1.jpeg

Web capture_29-1-2021_12347_192.168.77.1.jpeg

Web capture_29-1-2021_123516_192.168.77.1.jpeg

Web capture_29-1-2021_123442_192.168.77.1.jpeg

• Administrators

I'd suggest disabling the Geo-Filter for Apex for the moment as it can error when blocked, we'll fix that. Your Ping Under Load results could be refined a bit using QoS. What's the average ping you're seeing in game/on the Geo-Filter when it isn't filtering?

12 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I'd suggest disabling the Geo-Filter for Apex for the moment as it can error when blocked, we'll fix that. Your Ping Under Load results could be refined a bit using QoS. What's the average ping you're seeing in game/on the Geo-Filter when it isn't filtering?

I did it for one match and it put me in a player hosted lobby with a ping of 108.

2 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Are you selecting the closest/lowest ping server on the game menu? They don't use peers just servers so will have been misclassified on the map.

For the most part. They have 3 in my state and they offer 38, 41, 45 ping and 4, 6 and 28% packet loss. The one that shows the best right now is New York which is 34 ping and 4% packet loss

15 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Use Always on Congestion Control and experiment with the percentages to get the Ping Under Load test closer to the Ping Test and see if that improves it. What is your exact physical setup? 

Router, netduma R2 with only plugged in thing is Xbox. Rest is WiFi. 

Its like once I get into a game, I feel fine moving around, but the enemies and teammates are skipping around making it hard to get kills. 

5 hours ago, MrDeadDad said:

For the most part. They have 3 in my state and they offer 38, 41, 45 ping and 4, 6 and 28% packet loss. The one that shows the best right now is New York which is 34 ping and 4% packet loss

You should be getting 0% packet loss on almost all servers.

Honestly the Netduma sucks for Apex. It's best to just deactivate GeoFiltering and play without that on. You'll notice a huge improvement.

Now what I want to try and do is get an advantage in terms of my shots hitting the enemy first. How do I do this? I always feel like I'm a second behind people

• Administrators
12 hours ago, thisisreallife said:

You should be getting 0% packet loss on almost all servers.

Honestly the Netduma sucks for Apex. It's best to just deactivate GeoFiltering and play without that on. You'll notice a huge improvement.

Now what I want to try and do is get an advantage in terms of my shots hitting the enemy first. How do I do this? I always feel like I'm a second behind people

I see packet loss on the Apex servers just connected to my ISP hub sometimes, especially around peak times or when a new season drops so I don't think that is always the case. As I said disabling the Geo-Filter is recommended for the moment but you can then choose the server in game. Experiment with QoS and Traffic Prioritization as that should help.

On 1/29/2021 at 3:53 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

What is the router model? Have you changed any settings on it to ensure an open NAT on the R2?

I’ll have to check tonight after work. No change to any settings, I’ll take SS of those and post to see if there is anything I can do to combat what’s going on. I haven’t played since Friday so I’ll have to do the disable geo-filter and see what happens. 

On 1/31/2021 at 8:30 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay keep us posted, do try fine tuning QoS with Congestion Control set to always, trying different percentages to see what lowers Ping Under Load the most on benchmark.

I did a trace for EA servers and its not coming up any sort of packet loss, but i also rebooted modem and R2. 

2021-02-06 (2).png

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Did you check whether the target IP is the same as the usual server you connect to?

No. I didnt need to. Once I seen why i was getting packet loss, i rebooted modem and R2, reconfigured some settings and now i'm using geo-filter and getting great results... 30 ping or below. no more skipping or anything as far as i can see, no packet loss. I personally think the R2 was simply bogged down and wasnt moving the congestion around as it should have. i pinged to microsoft servers before hand and it popped up 2% packet loss which i never get, so i knew it had to be R2 overwhelmed or something.. so far a hard reset has fixed the problem. Apex seems to run smooth currently.

19 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Great to hear that, thanks for the update. Fingers crossed it stays that way!

yea the only slight issue is connection to the ea servers from time to time with geo filter on, other than that its been pretty good.

Ive been having issues with Apex Legends for awhile now. I noticed Mr Dead Dad here can connect to South Carolina and I cannot. Im on PS4 and the game will either connect me to Dallas, Virginia, or mostly New York. Closest servers to me are in S. Carolina. Id like to try port forwarding but Im unsure which service name I should use. FTP, HTTP, ICUII, etc. 

• Administrators
56 minutes ago, noz79 said:

I always select South Carolina in game but on my routers Geo Filter I never connect to it. 

What is the ping shown by Apex and what ping do you see on the Geo-Filter with the filter disabled? 

22 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What is the ping shown by Apex and what ping do you see on the Geo-Filter with the filter disabled? 

Ping shown on Apex varies but this season its usually been 80ms sometimes itll be 50ms at times 100ms but never consistent and  Ive seen it as low as 30ms. Thing I dont like about this is that you cant really get a feel of how you need to play the game. One game all your shots hit, the next people are lagging on your screen. I hit a shot on somebody who disappeared in front of me, it was weird. No it wasnt Mirage. 

Screenshot 2021-02-07 135622.jpg

Screenshot 2021-02-07 135801.jpg

Ranked__Screenshot_2021-02-07_13-56-38.png

Screenshot 2021-02-07 142051.jpg

2 hours ago, noz79 said:

I always select South Carolina in game but on my routers Geo Filter I never connect to it. 

Connect to New York server. For some reason they are better for me as far as ping and PL.. very weird I know. Try that and see if it’ll help. Make sure you have the geo-filter far enough to allow the server to be connected.

once I did that, I can connect better, but staying connected after the match is over has been a bit of a mild annoyance. Also, before you do anything in game, reboot modem and R2 and see if that’ll help. 

ps... adjust your radius bigger for the geo-filter. Mines set at 750 miles. 

• Administrators

The ping on Apex is likely showing your ping to the server plus processing delay, have you enabled the setting to see the ping in game? Does that fluctuate a lot? Good suggestion above! My ping to my closest server is about 15-25ms as shown before the game and then 50ms in game so it's definitely processing delay and other factors on their end. Maybe the disappearing person was someone who used Revenants totem?