Awful WiFi signal

braido1x

Having a horrible time with the wifi signal from my r2 since upgrading to the latest firmware version - although not perfect , the wifi on the previous version which I believe  was the original firmware that came in the box worked fine , I had hoped upgrading would have provided extra stability but it has turned out to be terrible - I have tried all the suggested fixes from the firmware thread , different channels and channel widths and I can’t get a signal beyond the room the router is in on either channel.  Have also tried several factory resets to no avail.

Just now, Netduma Fraser said:

What's the problem you're having with WiFi exactly, the speeds or the range? You could try going back to the original firmware. We are working on WiFi improvements at the moment 

I reinstalled the latest firmware and done another factory reset which has given me some success - it was mostly the range which was completely dropping out as soon as I left this room but after reinstalling it is working a bit better and hasn’t dropped out after 30 mins - I’ll leave it till the morning and set my expander up   And get back to you guys if I have any problems - thanks for the speedy response as always Fraser 

15 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That sounds promising, hopefully that continues, do keep us posted. You're very welcome, have a good night!

Hi Fraser bad news I’m affraid the wifi signal is back to dropping out completely or becoming extremely weak , would it be possible to get the original firmware download 

Would also like to add after some closer inspection - it appears the problems are mainly with mobile phones connecting - I notice that when I walk my laptop through the house it maintains a full signal with no drops where as mobiles drop out rather fast after leaving the room the router is in . It’s rather confusing as the signals themselves shown in device manager seem good enough but yet the signal just drops out , I have since checked qos and ralexed the settings a bit which seems to have helped slightly but any further help would be greatly  appreciated 

48 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

You can find the original firmware for the R2 here:

http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000091217-latest-firmwares

What do you have QoS set to now? Is there a drastic improvement if you disable it entirely?

I set it from 35 percent back to 75%. I wouldn’t class the improvements as drastic but certainly stable but very weak outside of the routers room - this is in part due to bad placement of my internet line , but it was certainly working a lot better on the original firmware . One thing I can’t get my head round is how strong the signal is on laptops throughout most of the house but on smart phones it’s terrible. 

1 hour ago, Netduma Liam said:

OK, thank you.

Are the mobile phones and laptop prioritised equally in bandwidth allocation?

Yes I don’t really change too much in the qos percentages but they all have plenty of bandwidth allocated with share excess ticked for both up and down , I think at this point I’ll just give the old firmware another shot it didn’t work to badly for me - but still a mystery as to why the wifi has became worse despite the improvements listed in the firmware patch notes 

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Try the original firmware - factory reset so any remnants of .179 are removed and see how it behaves. If it's still not good please let me know what WiFi settings you're currently using.

Im happy to report that I appear to have found a fix , I think for some reason that my factory resets were not working as intended when resetting via the router interface webpage - this was the method I had used last night to install new firmware - I noticed  when reverting back to the original firmware earlier that resetting with the pinhole reset my login username and password credentials where as reseting via the gui did not. im not certain if this was the definite fix but it may be worth highlighting this to other people having issues after installing new firmwares. I now have extremely stable wifi with all devices working normally on the latest firmware version. 

thanks for the help @Netduma Fraser and @Netduma Liam