VPN - Hybrid VPN

Hi,

i have to connect two XR500 (v2.3.2.66) via VPN from 2 differnt locations.

Provider Modems are on both sides set to bridge mode (so no firewall etc. can be the problem!)

Both XR500 has setup and tested ddns names and aktivated VPN service.

from external ip adresses i can connect to both via openvpn client from my IPhone.

I tryed to connect from the first xr500 via Hybrid VPN to the 2nd xr500 with config file downloaded from

the VPN service site -> connection failed

Tue Jan 26 16:37:17 2021 us=562121 OpenVPN 2.4.3 arm-openwrt-linux-gnu [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [LZ4] [EPOLL] [MH/PKTINFO] [AEAD] built on Aug 24 2020
Tue Jan 26 16:37:17 2021 us=562246 library versions: OpenSSL 1.0.2n  7 Dec 2017, LZO 2.06
Tue Jan 26 16:37:17 2021 us=562340 ERROR: username from Auth authfile '/tmp/lua_gv29JL' is empty
Tue Jan 26 16:37:17 2021 us=562590 Exiting due to fatal error

i dont know what i can do now ...

is there a example config file how to setup in expert mode hybrid VPN settings ??

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I don't think this will work for a few reasons, for Hybrid VPN when using an advanced file you need to use an username/password and can't connect without it. Using the VPN service file doesn't give you the open to create those details. Also it's not designed to do that, the VPN service files are for devices not for routers. Hybrid VPN is for use with VPN providers to change your IP address not to connect to another router in that way.

Hi and thanks for the fast answer !

Setting guide of DumaOS explains that user/password isn`t nessesery ...

Enter your username and password that you have with your VPN provider. Be careful to do this accurately 
(note: some providers do not require a username or password. Leave this field blank if it's true for you)

http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000087492--dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-hybrid-vpn

I used VPN Services so much times but i actual didn`t have this Problems to create a VPN tunnel.

I dont understand the difference if i connect to a VPN Provider or a private VPN Server, its the same connection type ...

Does anybody understand the advanced mode ? There is no explanation about this in any manual ...

" or you can copy the OpenVPN config file from your VPN provider into the Advanced section "  -> isn`t very usefull if this doesnt work

Really hope someone can held me 😪

4 hours ago, EmuMartin said:

Hi and thanks for the fast answer !

Setting guide of DumaOS explains that user/password isn`t nessesery ...

Enter your username and password that you have with your VPN provider. Be careful to do this accurately 
(note: some providers do not require a username or password. Leave this field blank if it's true for you)

http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000087492--dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-hybrid-vpn

I used VPN Services so much times but i actual didn`t have this Problems to create a VPN tunnel.

I dont understand the difference if i connect to a VPN Provider or a private VPN Server, its the same connection type ...

Does anybody understand the advanced mode ? There is no explanation about this in any manual ...

" or you can copy the OpenVPN config file from your VPN provider into the Advanced section "  -> isn`t very usefull if this doesnt work

Really hope someone can held me 😪

Who is your VPN provider out of interest?

• Administrators

That's all you can do with the advanced section - maybe a poor choice of words but it's just to enter the config file of a provider that isn't in the basic list. Post the config here and maybe I can spot something that is preventing it connecting but as I said it's not been done before and so I don't know if it will work. What are you hoping to do exactly by doing this?

In the meantime i know the config is ok, tested in some other VPN clients.

Problem: DumaOS seeks for username and password ....

Thats really poor, in case the manual explains that isn`t necessary 😤

error log:

2021 us=562340 ERROR: username from Auth authfile '/tmp/lua_gv29JL' is empty

Why do it need a VPN Tunnel:

I need to connect my second residence Network with my homenetwork via VPN.

There are security Systems and home automation i must reach vom both sides of the Network.

No thats not possible !

Even why should a device can handle this if a 300€ Router with VPN Server und Client Option can't handle this ....

Is it possible to contact the guys which made DumaOS ?

Neatgear has no Plan either, thats really sad, i was very happy with my old Netgear device, it seems this new device  it insn't worth that price anymore

Support knows nothing, manual is wrong ................

• Administrators

You said you could connect using your phone? Have you previously used two routers in this manner? I can pass it onto the devs but I don't think they'll have any different answers for you. I'll get back to you when I know more.

Yes it works with Iphone VPN and Windows OpenVPN Client !

I used differnt routers with client server options for VPN tunnels previously, normaly thats no Problem.

Hybrid VPN seens to be nothing else than a client to a VPN Server which does routing for internal clients on endpoints.

Saidly there is no good dokumentation what it exactly does in background, if the logs (i posted before) from the connection is complete it seems just the missing

Username and Password runs to this error.

Thanks thats great, maybe there is a Bugfix in Beta FW 3.0 ?! (Did read about this Version but could not find it to check it)

• Administrators

I've let the team know so will update as soon as I can. To my knowledge there have been no changes to Hybrid VPN in the beta version but you're welcome to try: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/bd-p/en-home-beta-npg-duma

Hi, I have a XR500 Nighthawk and I've been trying all the steps I've seen to get Nordvpn to work with it. It's constantly coming up fail. 

Ive tried the Tunnel app, the open vpn downloads and used password etc it doesn't work? Help please

im using a Mac and I have the latest firmware for the XR500. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, CyberPilgrim said:

Hi, I have a XR500 Nighthawk and I've been trying all the steps I've seen to get Nordvpn to work with it. It's constantly coming up fail. 

Ive tried the Tunnel app, the open vpn downloads and used password etc it doesn't work? Help please

im using a Mac and I have the latest firmware for the XR500. 

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. Do you have a subscription with NordVPN? If so could you provide the config file you're trying to use with the router please?

7 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. Do you have a subscription with NordVPN? If so could you provide the config file you're trying to use with the router please?

Hi sorry went to bed, didnt realise id get an answer so quick. So ok here we go. Thank you ive tried a fair few and all failed

uk1867.nordvpn.com.udp.ovpn

• Administrators
2 hours ago, CyberPilgrim said:

After reading a thread on here I realised my error. I didn’t open the file in note pad. I just dumped the file as is. Yep a moment in time :D

it’s working thank you for your time 

That's great to hear, thanks for posting the solution!

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's great to hear, thanks for posting the solution!

Hi, the bad news is. It didn’t solve it, I tried the method but it just wasn’t hiding my ip. I stripped all software to do with NordVPN off my Mac then tried this method through Nighthawk. It worked for a time then when I used their DNS it failed. I spoke with a decent guy in support of NordVPN for 4 hours trying all kinds. I’m not new to networking either but always leaning. I’ve learnt a lot today :D 

Do you have to have the vpn service active in advanced settings tab before using Hybrid VPN please? 
This has taken up nearly two days of my Ableton Live time away now :( 

please help 

• Administrators
49 minutes ago, CyberPilgrim said:

Hi, the bad news is. It didn’t solve it, I tried the method but it just wasn’t hiding my ip. I stripped all software to do with NordVPN off my Mac then tried this method through Nighthawk. It worked for a time then when I used their DNS it failed. I spoke with a decent guy in support of NordVPN for 4 hours trying all kinds. I’m not new to networking either but always leaning. I’ve learnt a lot today :D 

Do you have to have the vpn service active in advanced settings tab before using Hybrid VPN please? 
This has taken up nearly two days of my Ableton Live time away now :( 

please help 

The VPN needs to be connected to the VPN provider yes. How did you add your devices to the Hybrid VPN feature in order to hide their IP?

37 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The VPN needs to be connected to the VPN provider yes. How did you add your devices to the Hybrid VPN feature in order to hide their IP?

Hi. I did it with Nordvpn UDP and TCP protocols 443 TCP and 1194 UDP. I also set them all to only vpn these services. Thanks man

Hi also ive just been on Nordvpn and found this.

Netgear setup with NordVPN

Netgear is one of the most popular router manufacturer brands. These routers cannot perform as OpenVPN clients, which is unfortunate, since many of our users who use Netgear are unable to connect to our service.

If you have a Netgear router, check if your router supports DD-WRT firmware here. If it does, you can flash your router with it. More information on how to install this firmware can be found here.

Once done, you can follow our tutorial on how to connect to the NordVPN service with DD-WRT firmware.

If you run into any issues, make a screenshot of your router’s VPN configuration page along with the connection log, which can be found under the Status > OpenVPN tab, and send this information to us using the email or chat buttons below the article.

If you want an out-of-the-box solution that offers NordVPN’s security and privacy, head over to our partners at FlashRouters. They will provide you with a pre-configured router that will deliver top-notch security and performance.

Note: If you decide to flash your router, do so at your own risk. Since flashing may damage your router and void the warranty, we cannot help you with the flashing process.

Not keen to flash my XR500

• Administrators

You should add port 80 as well and then it should work. Your IP may be cached so would recommend rebooting one of the devices then checking the IP on that device to see if it has changed. That applies to the non DumaOS Netgear routers.