getting packet loss

hi guys new member here, ive spent most of the day trying to sort out setting up my netduma correctly, i thought i was there, but turns out i have a D score on ping test when running connections benchmark. could someone help me please as there really shouldn't be nothing wrong with my internet.

thanks in advance

image.thumb.png.f0c72815319963294c617a87cf573b5c.png

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

The Ping Test is supposed to indicate the quality of your line and is not something the router can resolve. It uses the Google server so it may just be that your connection to that server isn't good. You could double check this using PingPlotter and running a plot to a local news website instead for example, if it shows no packet loss on the bottom graph then it's fine. This guide can help you double check it: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

hi ive downloaded pingplotter and done as the link you sent says and still have packet loss, albeit not as much. I've use a netgear nighthawk X4S before the XR1000 and never experienced any packet loss before.  i am quite confused as to why im getting packet loss?

image.thumb.png.46f15f24f6fd28ef258afd505d8da95b.png

hi i did the test straight to the sky router and as i thoughT no red lines, so i assume that means no packet loss? either way ping was still too random. just Extra FYI if it helps, i did use OpenWRT with my X4S and used sqm qos settings for bufferbloat and it really helped out. For me i just feel like the DumaOS would benefit my needs more.

thanks again @Netduma Fraser

• Administrators

Thanks a lot for this. Okay so now connect back into the XR, I'd recommend following the guide again if you need a refresher but basically use Congestion Control on Always while saturating the network with downloads etc and experiment with the percentages to see what can eliminate the spikes and packet loss as much as possible.

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Jasjoe1991 said:

im just sliding my sliders down and this notice comes up, does this mean anything important?

If you click ok do your speeds still adhere to the percentages set? Can you still adjust the settings after that?

• Administrators

Something like packet loss is hard to narrow down, usually you wouldn't notice it but as a gamer who relies on stable connections these things come to light. You shouldn't be getting the error there, in the top right of the interface is a shield icon, can you click on that and provide a screenshot please?

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, Jasjoe1991 said:

sorry how do you do that? when i factory reset the router it already was on the latest firmware?

So download the firmware from here: https://kb.netgear.com/000062702/XR1000-Firmware-Version-1-0-0-52

Then access the interface, go to Settings > Administration > Firmware Update and upload the file there to re-upgrade.

• Administrators

Okay great so now follow this again and see if you can get rid of it.

21 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks a lot for this. Okay so now connect back into the XR, I'd recommend following the guide again if you need a refresher but basically use Congestion Control on Always while saturating the network with downloads etc and experiment with the percentages to see what can eliminate the spikes and packet loss as much as possible.