Absolutely fed up

johnebrown

First off updated firmware ,reset ,rebooted, about a million times the only thing that works great is the WiFi. Ok so to start off the R2 can’t detect my internet connection I have to manually connect my r2 rather than an auto detect. My speed on connection checker can’t give me an A+ on download speed only 500 out of 900 but it went as low as 20mb I mean wtf this is so frustrating especially when trying to diagnose problems how can I use the qos properly when the speed it shows me is way off and I have to use speedtest.net clearly something is clearly wrong. 2nd thing is I did a server ping for Cold War said they was a server in the middle of the uk on 9ms I thought ok this looks good drew a box around the server guess what does not even exist sat there for 30 mins trying to connect to something that clearly isn’t there. Found another server said this one was 10ms if it was didn’t feel like it still seems I am emptying a full clip into someone checked the in game settings said my ping was 40ms but when an enemy comes near me rises to 60ms also checked the server and it said it was something can’t remember the name .us won’t that be a us server or something this router has given me both but a headache. Since day one I see on you tube videos of everyone setting up there R2 showing the connection checker and they get an A+ and one guy lives in London so why does it work for them and not for me. I mean I paid the same I just don’t believe this router is working as it should be I mean why can’t it auto detect my internet connection itself also had my isp out to my address and found nothing wrong I mean he said he found a dodgy Ethernet cable otherwise they would charge me because nothing was wrong so he did me a favour. Maybe then the R2 is not compatible with my connection at all. Also I would like to add that most of the games I played online were horrible next to unplayable makes gaming more rage inducing then fun. I like to go on and have fun not have to worry about is my game going to lag or what’s the ping all the time I want a setting that is comfortable to leave it on. Also makes no difference what qos settings are set to at all which makes me believe that this router is some what broken in some way. Maybe I could send it back to get tested at some point. The only other thing that I have noticed is that upnp opens up ports that my isp router doesn’t like 3074 port which gives me open Nat in cod which is why I bought this in the first place. Now I will have to go buy another router to get some enjoyment out of my games. Sorry if this sounds harsh but I am just completely fed up and I know technical issues can happen maybe mine is a one of bad batch look forward to hear your replies thanks hope you can help 

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having these issues. What do you mean you need to manually connect it? The speed shown on Benchmark needs to be improved upon at the moment so you can ignore that, its mostly those who have higher speeds that see this. It doesn't respond to QoS either by design. Ping and Ping Under Load are the ones that can indicate more pressing issues. Could you provide a screenshot of your entire Geo-Filter page please? In game ping if significantly higher can indicate the server is under load and so would be best to force another server to see if you have a better experience. 

What are your QoS settings? Can you provide a screenshot of your Benchmark results please?

• Administrators

Thank you. It's not possible for the router to auto detect your settings because the username/password for PPPoE is unique to you. If the router did know that, then that would be a problem. Your ping test is great but Ping Under Load does show a few spikes. Change Congestion Control to Always and experiment with the sliders to see if you can get the Ping Under Load test closer to the Ping Test results. So basically - change percentages - do a benchmark test - if it still isn't close then redo until you get there. Also shout out to Hull, I went to uni there!

Ok so the tests are a bit muddled up showed you my sliders and finally got it to some what level liked you asked in some photos the other ones show me adjusting sliders. The last photo is of a test when my PS4 is connected playing cod do I have to adjust the sliders again with my PS4 on to get a better connection and fewer lag spikes cheers I know it’s a pain but trying to understand all this 

FFE44831-AACB-4E84-8E73-A53EEFF2E21E.jpeg

3F91671B-DC3F-4A6A-BA94-53C7E10B1BB4.jpeg

E2A63858-61DC-4F50-93DC-15AAAEEB41A9.jpeg

6A49CBA5-1E99-4014-A495-5217F1DDD0F6.jpeg

187F1322-E08B-4A3A-B654-A6104C1CB92A.jpeg

B0067A90-6ADD-4D0A-BA2F-17C3887EB93C.jpeg

14B898D0-36E5-423B-9DA2-CB25940D0749.jpeg

C2394D63-05B7-4ED8-B108-F2AF2723FC10.jpeg

2BD965A7-662B-4FAF-9103-E1C0742FA461.jpeg

6003FB0A-9024-46A8-AF29-9E8C70C68A2E.jpeg

4DEE0C89-84B9-49CC-A6AD-354A742BA5FB.jpeg

• Administrators

You've managed to get it down really well, whatever you've set for the 3rd to last photo I think you should use. As the sliders will be quite low I'd suggest using Auto-Enable so that it only applies when you're gaming rather than throttling the speeds all the time, even when you're not playing. No you don't need to adjust again. 

I don’t know I have to set it quite low for it to give me low ping under load but if it works then great. I suppose them ping spikes playing cod will be joining servers and matches. But thanks again for your time @Netduma Fraser I am beginning to understand it a little better. Just one more question would it be better to use my dns from isp as this is the faster one for me. Ok leave it as normal cheers

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, johnebrown said:

I don’t know I have to set it quite low for it to give me low ping under load but if it works then great. I suppose them ping spikes playing cod will be joining servers and matches. But thanks again for your time @Netduma Fraser I am beginning to understand it a little better. Just one more question would it be better to use my dns from isp as this is the faster one for me. Ok leave it as normal cheers

You're very welcome! It is a bit of a learning curve but we will be creating some guides for 3.0 to help ease the transition. You can leave it as normal, DNS will really only improve website loading but only marginally. If the ISP DNS is the fastest then just leave it at that.

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, johnebrown said:

Ok thanks again @Netduma Fraser this question is a bit more straightforward if I am streaming from my pc would it be advised to give the same amount of bandwidth to my pc as my PS4 on the qos or less 

The PS4 won't require much bandwidth but it would be a good idea to allocate more to the PC so it always has that bandwidth available for streaming if needed.

• Administrators
55 minutes ago, johnebrown said:

Ok thanks again @Netduma Fraser been really helpful keep up the good work with your team just hope that other people can benefit from this also. Cheers big shout to Netduma team 

You're very welcome, thank you for the kind words!

9 hours ago, Jay3546 said:

@johnebrown how is the netduma r2 working for you now? What isp do you use? Has it reduced ping spikes, packet loss, improved latency. I'm looking at buying the netduma i wanted some proof its worth the money before I go ahead and purchase. 

Hi Jay

Why don’t you don’t you give one a go. Netduma offer a 14 day return which is plenty of time for their R2 or if you give the XR routers a go I would purchase from Amazon as they have a good return policy.

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Jay3546 said:

@johnebrown how is the netduma r2 working for you now? What isp do you use? Has it reduced ping spikes, packet loss, improved latency. I'm looking at buying the netduma i wanted some proof its worth the money before I go ahead and purchase. 

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Good advice above! If you suffer from local congestion - buffering etc then that will definitely help with eliminating that problem and improving your game experience. We're always happy to help if you have any questions.

@Netduma Fraser I suffer from latency lag. Ping spike is down and up whilst gaming. I want a stable ping and I'm hoping a gaming router will help to achieve it. I game on console, ps4. The speeds that I receive from the isp are really good 350mbps download 35mpbs upload. I tried to purchase a netduma on here  but it says pre order. Also it says express delivery next day is it worth me purchasing express delivery next day ? Are there any netdumas in stock? 

I'm a competitive fifa player. I'm reading through comments and seeing the servers was fine one minute on the geo map but now they have disappeared. Is the netduma up to date with the latest software for fifa? 

10 hours ago, Jay3546 said:

I'm a competitive fifa player. I'm reading through comments and seeing the servers was fine one minute on the geo map but now they have disappeared. Is the netduma up to date with the latest software for fifa? 

This may happen from time to time, we can usually resolve this with a cloud update!

• Administrators
56 minutes ago, Jay3546 said:

@Netduma Liam if a cloud update was needed how long roughly does it take to update? Can you be somewhat more precise in time length wait please, days,weeks,months,? And does this happen for every game or only fifa?

We can't really be precise as it depends on workload. Are you referring to Ping Heatmap or the Geo-Filter? It's required for every game.