XR500 - Moderate NAT / port forwarded

57 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Do you have a moderate NAT direct to the switch? No you don't need to change that to static

I just connected my PC to the switch and I have a moderate NAT (disconnected my pc from xr500 and plugged into the cat 5 wall receptacle). 

The assigned IP is 10.0.250.47 with a default gateway of 10.0.0.1

. . . . 

update - I unplugged one cable at a time to determine which source is my computer. Do you think I am connected to another switch elsewhere? I looked in the networking cabinet in my garage where the switch and dwelo (home automation thingy) and I do not see a modem. I am unsure where this thing is housed at. I live in a town home and I do not believe my neighbor and I are sharing a modem lol.

Could it possibly be that the switch does not have a managed interface to log into?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Right that definitely indicates that something is handling DHCP either the switch itself (if managed) or somewhere else upstream and that is the reason you can't get your NAT open. Does the switch belong to the ISP? It has to be connected to something. Is this something you could talk to the ISP about? If you do then DO NOT mention that you're using a router behind the switch, they will blame it immediately regardless of the evidence to the contrary.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Right that definitely indicates that something is handling DHCP either the switch itself (if managed) or somewhere else upstream and that is the reason you can't get your NAT open. Does the switch belong to the ISP? It has to be connected to something. Is this something you could talk to the ISP about? If you do then DO NOT mention that you're using a router behind the switch, they will blame it immediately regardless of the evidence to the contrary.

To be honest I am not 100% sure who it belongs to. It was probably installed when they built this place so that they can have all the rooms hardwired + the home automation. Would buying another switch be beneficial or waste of money and time?

12 hours ago, geekdout said:

To be honest I am not 100% sure who it belongs to. It was probably installed when they built this place so that they can have all the rooms hardwired + the home automation. Would buying another switch be beneficial or waste of money and time?

If we can be sure that the switch is the cause of the issue then maybe that could be a solution, but if it's not managed and something else upstream is affecting your NAT type then a new switch wouldn't make a difference. I've looked up the name you gave for the switch earlier (monoprice 15763) and it appears to be unmanaged, so I don't think this is the issue. It is possible to find out which cable give you direct access to the modem through the trial and error process you mentioned earlier?

I noticed you also mentioned you're not experiencing issues finding games, you just feel a step behind in gunfights etc. Perhaps we can re-enable and fine-tune Geo-filter to see if we can get you better games?

2 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

If we can be sure that the switch is the cause of the issue then maybe that could be a solution, but if it's not managed and something else upstream is affecting your NAT type then a new switch wouldn't make a difference. I've looked up the name you gave for the switch earlier (monoprice 15763) and it appears to be unmanaged, so I don't think this is the issue. It is possible to find out which cable give you direct access to the modem through the trial and error process you mentioned earlier?

I noticed you also mentioned you're not experiencing issues finding games, you just feel a step behind in gunfights etc. Perhaps we can re-enable and fine-tune Geo-filter to see if we can get you better games?

That'd be wonderful. I could do both, just guide me! 

43 minutes ago, geekdout said:

That'd be wonderful. I could do both, just guide me! 

Sweet, could you setup Geo-filter how you would like it and then send me a screenshot, I can then advise what we can tweak to optimise it a bit and you can then test it!

33 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

Sweet, could you setup Geo-filter how you would like it and then send me a screenshot, I can then advise what we can tweak to optimise it a bit and you can then test it!

https://imgur.com/a/6K5p6Iz

Also why is the little guy sitting in California? Please tell me that is not where he thinks I am.

7 minutes ago, geekdout said:

That was before loading up CoD I was just seeing if QoS was working. Here is a screen shot in game.

https://imgur.com/a/kBMIuE6

OK, is that Radius where you're located? Could you please switch to filtering mode too? If that server you've connected to there is offering a good connection, which it looks like it is, you'll probably find you'll connect back to that. Play a game and see how it feels, if it's 20-30ms it should be feeling pretty good.

3 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

OK, is that Radius where you're located? Could you please switch to filtering mode too? If that server you've connected to there is offering a good connection, which it looks like it is, you'll probably find you'll connect back to that. Play a game and see how it feels, if it's 20-30ms it should be feeling pretty good.

I tried filtering mode but for three attempts in a row CoD stated I could not join. When in spectator mode I see I am getting 40-60ms. I reside in Utah so I selected the dropper and clicked it.

18 hours ago, geekdout said:

I tried filtering mode but for three attempts in a row CoD stated I could not join. When in spectator mode I see I am getting 40-60ms. I reside in Utah so I selected the dropper and clicked it.

OK, could you please go to Device Manager and change your PCs device type to 'Playstation'. Then go back to Geo-filter and enable filtering mode, it might also be a good idea to widen your radius a bit just incase that's the issue!

11 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

OK, could you please go to Device Manager and change your PCs device type to 'Playstation'. Then go back to Geo-filter and enable filtering mode, it might also be a good idea to widen your radius a bit just incase that's the issue!

Completed. Able to find most games in the mid 30ms range with a few in the 40s. I keep getting into a loop that it cannot connect me. Is there more that I can perform?

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, geekdout said:

Completed. Able to find most games in the mid 30ms range with a few in the 40s. I keep getting into a loop that it cannot connect me. Is there more that I can perform?

That's a great start, put Ping Assist on 0 please and then see if you get better connections.

13 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That is a pretty good ping, I can;t remember off the top of my head but there may not be too many servers within the radius so you could move the location and radius to include more.

Will do

On 1/20/2021 at 9:32 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

That is a pretty good ping, I can;t remember off the top of my head but there may not be too many servers within the radius so you could move the location and radius to include more.

As of lately I am joining matches with latency from 80-125. It is unplayable. Not sure why it is doing this.

11 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Can you try manually blocking that server and seeing if you get a better connection to the next server it gives you?

I don't know how to block servers. I watched a few youtube videos where people were using ping heatmap but I don't have that.

edit - I am guessing I name the server and click deny and then it will show up in my allow/deny list?

edit 2 - why is every zombies lobby 75+ ping?

• Administrators

No need to block them specifically, just reduce your radius size and move the location to cover any areas you think may give you a good connection and make sure you radius excludes the servers that give you a high ping.