XR500 - Moderate NAT / port forwarded

I cannot manage to change my NAT type in CoD. I have a static IP, port forwarded the required ports, selected open NAT on WAN setup, restarted my pc and router. I have also placed my pc into a dmz and that did not work either. Can someone help me please?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am having the exact same problem, and done the exact same as above... Opened ports, put PC into DMZ, I feel like the game feels laggy (Warzone) more with these open... but in Warzone it just states Moderate NAT Type and I want OPEN...

Not to steal the thread but mine is BT FTTP - 900mbps - HUWAWI Modem on the wall - Wire - XR700 - Wire - PC. 

I have added the ports to the windows firewall, no change. I have disabled the windows firewall, no change. I have enabled the teredo state that was recommended on reddit that worked for a few, no change.

modem: monoprice 15763 to XR500 to PC. I cannot connect directly to the modem as it is in a conduit box in the basement with cat 5 ran through the walls.. and I dont know which cable it is as the lines are not labeled. 

41 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

What is your exact physical setup? What is your XR500 connected to exactly? - What is the modem/router model? - Did you change anything on that to ensure an Open NAT?

Check the reply above please

One issue that I had was the UPnP Portmap annotations. I never would see an entry for any ports listed in the fields. Checking DumaOS I can now see ports 3074 and a few other listed while still having a moderate NAT.

• Administrators
41 minutes ago, davemarsden132 said:

I am having the exact same problem, and done the exact same as above... Opened ports, put PC into DMZ, I feel like the game feels laggy (Warzone) more with these open... but in Warzone it just states Moderate NAT Type and I want OPEN...

Not to steal the thread but mine is BT FTTP - 900mbps - HUWAWI Modem on the wall - Wire - XR700 - Wire - PC. 

Hi Dave, I'll respond to your topics shortly so we can focus on your issues.

19 minutes ago, geekdout said:

I have added the ports to the windows firewall, no change. I have disabled the windows firewall, no change. I have enabled the teredo state that was recommended on reddit that worked for a few, no change.

modem: monoprice 15763 to XR500 to PC. I cannot connect directly to the modem as it is in a conduit box in the basement with cat 5 ran through the walls.. and I dont know which cable it is as the lines are not labeled. 

7 minutes ago, geekdout said:

Check the reply above please

One issue that I had was the UPnP Portmap annotations. I never would see an entry for any ports listed in the fields. Checking DumaOS I can now see ports 3074 and a few other listed while still having a moderate NAT.

Where are you seeing the NAT status in game or in the Game Settings on Windows?

You have quite a few different settings all enabled at once, that can actually do more harm than good. Disable the DMZ and remove the port forwarding rules, leave NAT Open and UPnP enabled. If you're seeing it in game, disable the Geo-Filter prior to launching the game, does it show open then?

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hi Dave, I'll respond to your topics shortly so we can focus on your issues.

Where are you seeing the NAT status in game or in the Game Settings on Windows?

You have quite a few different settings all enabled at once, that can actually do more harm than good. Disable the DMZ and remove the port forwarding rules, leave NAT Open and UPnP enabled. If you're seeing it in game, disable the Geo-Filter prior to launching the game, does it show open then?

I didn't have all these things enabled at once. Once I seen dmz didn't change the outcome I turned it off. Same with firewall and more. Troubleshooting through one sector at a time to see if the results are positive.

I am seeing the NAT status in the game settings. I downloaded the portforward utility tool to check the port status of 3074 and it says it cannot be reached.

I haven't tried disabling the geo-filter, I will do this along with disabling port forwarding rules. Pertaining to the port forwarding rules are you referring to the Windows system or DumaOS?

If you're seeing it in game, disable the Geo-Filter prior to launching the game, does it show open then?

Port forwarding rules on the router have been disabled along with the geo-filter. Launching the game still shows moderate NAT.

• Administrators

Quit the game entirely, including the client and from the System tray. Keep the Geo-Filter disabled then go to Settings on Windows > Gaming > Xbox Networking then let it run the connection test. If it says anything other than NAT Type open, click fix it and then run the test again, does it come back open then? If so launch the game again, does it appear open?

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Quit the game entirely, including the client and from the System tray. Keep the Geo-Filter disabled then go to Settings on Windows > Gaming > Xbox Networking then let it run the connection test. If it says anything other than NAT Type open, click fix it and then run the test again, does it come back open then? If so launch the game again, does it appear open?

Never knew this tool existed.. neat. 

It still says moderate for the NAT. I have ran the fix and test twice with restarts. Going through the troubleshooting I did find one error with my registry. The winhtp key was disabled and greyed out, after downloading a new one that portion is fixed. Ran the test after and it still says moderate.

Could it be something on the router that I have to modify?

14 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Your switch that the router is connected to is it managed or unmanaged? Are there any devices that are connected to the switch as opposed to the router? Yes that means it is off. 

The switch has two connections. One connection is to the router/switch and the second connection is to my home autiomation (dwelo). When I run a Netsh Int Teredo Show Stat it states "managed"

• Administrators

That's great thank you, so in the XR System Information page what IP does it get? Please post it here, if it starts with 172 don't put it here but let me know. Does dwelo have any sort of interface at all with network settings?

• Administrators

Okay great we're getting somewhere. So the XR is being assigned a LAN IP rather than your public IP so the switch may be causing the issue. Could you access the switch interface please by going to 10.0.0.1 in your web browser and then posting a screenshot of what you see please?

On 1/14/2021 at 5:00 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay great we're getting somewhere. So the XR is being assigned a LAN IP rather than your public IP so the switch may be causing the issue. Could you access the switch interface please by going to 10.0.0.1 in your web browser and then posting a screenshot of what you see please?

"This site cannot be reached" although I can ping it and am 4/4 rather quickly

7 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Is it possible for you to connect your PC to the switch briefly, then open command prompt and type

ipconfig

then press enter and post the results here please?

This is from my sons computer that is connected to the switch through the wall plate. How is he connected because he is on another subnet right (1.24 vs 0.1)?

connection-specific dns suffix:

fastel.com

link-local ipv6 address:

fe80:: etc etc etc

ipv4:

def gateway:

7 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Is it possible for you to connect your PC to the switch briefly, then open command prompt and type

ipconfig

then press enter and post the results here please?

Running a tracert my first hop is 172.83.5.149, I can ping 172.83.5.1 not sure if that helps or not.

• Administrators

The connection is fine but that gateway does indicate that either the switch or something else upstream is handling DHCP locally, that is why you're having trouble with NAT. Can you access 10.0.0.1 when directly connected at all?

Can you access 10.0.0.1 when directly connected at all?

If my son's pc is pulling a 10.xxx and I am pulling a 192.xxx then all I would have to do is disconnect the xr500 and try again from his pc? 

21 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It should work connected to the XR but for some reason it can't be accessed, so try directly connected to the switch as you were and see if you can reach the interface for 10.0.0.1

1. Same result.

2. So even with a moderate NAT I don't have a problem connecting to people. My main gripe is that when in game at times (frequently) I feel the gunfight that I am in my enemy had a faster look (like input lag on me).

3. Under Advanced Settings > Internet IP Address > Get Dynamically from ISP | Use Static IP Address. Should the static IP address be toggled here?