How to setup mesh WiFi system using the r2

Lordzelix

Hi There , i Just bought the r2 but the WiFi signal just isn’t cutting it.. so I want to use my tp-link Deco x20 mesh system for WiFi where the r2 is My main router that get’s a public static ip from my isp provider and the mesh WiFi system behind the r2 to give wifi to my devices but should i place the mesh WiFi systeem in acces point or just let it function as a normal router beginde the r2 ? I know if i do that i get double nat on the mesh WiFi router but it’s only use is for streaming or surfing not for gaming so is this setup ok or not ? Because i Dont want the devices connected to my mesh WiFi system to pop up on the r2 device manager list , so should i setup a seperate network to do this or just place my mesh WiFi system in acces point mode to actieve this ? Thanks in advance ! 

• Administrators

If you don't want them to appear on the Device Manager then having it act as a router would be the best choice, no need to do anything with NAT as you won't have any gaming devices connected to that. Access Point mode would make devices appear on the Device Manager.

Thanks fraser ! Soooo quick of You to reply on my topic ! Keep up THE good work as always ! Another question tho , e few months back i had THE xr500 and later THE xr700 but both suffered from THE Same problem ... if i would add a range extender or setup this range extender ass an acces point then THE devices connected to that extender or acces point would get multiple ip adressen assigned in THE Device manager list , giving problems with THE Qos ass THE Same device would be listed multiple times in de Qos flower , also the router ip adress itself would also be listed in the Qos flower and device manager list ... is this problem fixed or not ? If this is fixed I can setup my mesh WiFi system as an acces point correct ? If the problem is not fixed then I should setup the mesh WiFi system as a normal router behind my R2 because the mesh WiFi is only being used for websurfing and streaming 

• Administrators

Thank you! 

Did it show two for each device? If so I think I know what has happened there, you should be able to label what the correct device is though and delete the others. It showed the IP address on the QoS page? I've never seen that, could you provide a screenshot?

Not only 2 for each device , sometimes even 3 or 4 different ip addresses were assigned to the same device ... but you could only see this in the device manager , in the Qos flower only the name of the same device would come up multiple times but not the ip addresses , as for deleting the devices that’s gonna be a problem because the device is online I can’t delete any of the devices that are listed more then ones because it states the device is online ... 

If you had my setup to work with how would you set it up Fraser ? R2 as the main router of course but the mesh WiFi system ? Would you place them in acces point and connect devices using only the WiFi of this acces point or would you just hook it up as a normal router placed behind the R2 ? Just to know what will be the best benefit for me , because gaming is top priority but I still want to have WiFi for every other device in my house to work properly 😁

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Lordzelix said:

Not only 2 for each device , sometimes even 3 or 4 different ip addresses were assigned to the same device ... but you could only see this in the device manager , in the Qos flower only the name of the same device would come up multiple times but not the ip addresses , as for deleting the devices that’s gonna be a problem because the device is online I can’t delete any of the devices that are listed more then ones because it states the device is online ... 

1 hour ago, Lordzelix said:

If you had my setup to work with how would you set it up Fraser ? R2 as the main router of course but the mesh WiFi system ? Would you place them in acces point and connect devices using only the WiFi of this acces point or would you just hook it up as a normal router placed behind the R2 ? Just to know what will be the best benefit for me , because gaming is top priority but I still want to have WiFi for every other device in my house to work properly 😁

That's interesting, maybe one IP per node. In that case I would keep it so the mesh applies an IP to devices so don't put it in AP mode. Then all other devices can use the WiFi and any gaming devices you can connect directly to the R2. QoS would still work in this configuration as well.