WAN port no longer seems to function.

Skudd

5 hours ago, Skudd said:

Net Duma staff,

I recently power cycled my NetDuma R2 and the WAN port seems to no longer detect a WAN connection coming for my ISP's cable modem. Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Skudd

Its a bug, what you want to do is pull the wan ethernet out reset the r2 and give it a minute then put the wan cable back in.

Thanks for the quick replies and the welcome. I attempted this last night per a post I managed to find. I have tried it a few more times since seeing your replies. The steps I have taken are as follows.

I removed the WAN and LAN connections first. I then pressed the reset button for approximately twenty five seconds. I then let the router reboot for about five minutes before plugging the WAN cable in. I gave it about another five minutes before plugging in the LAN connection to my PC that I use to manage the router. The LAN connection allows me to get to the router without issue. However, the WAN setup during the initial setup prompts gives me the "Could not detect an Internet connection" reponse. I attempted to turn off the IPv6 switches and trying again but that gave me the same result. Any further assistance would be appreciated.

Note: This all started after I started getting really high latency spikes. I decided to reboot the modem and then the router. I tested the connection to the modem just in case and the connection appears fine.

• Administrators

I assume you're on the .123 firmware so upgrade to the latest firmware, there are a lot of fixes there: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/33236-announcement-new-r2-firmware-30179/ Once you've done that, factory reset using the interface and then see if you get internet.

My apologies for not noting that ahead of time. I have been running the latest firmware (.179) for over a month now. I check every so often for new releases so I stay updated.

A couple weeks ago I learned that I needed to reset the router after installing the firmware (.179) to resolve an issue. It was working fine for a while after that until the power cycle last night.

After my response early I reset the router again  and rebooted my modem. I have let them set for well over and hour disconnect from each other and will try to connect them again here shortly. If anything changes I will update this post. If any other steps I can take come to mind; please let me know. Thanks!

When I returned to router after the reset and long wait I had no WAN connection still and this time I could not even reach the router through a LAN connection. I reset the router and tried again; same thing. I then power cycled the router, reset it after waiting around ten minutes for it to load, and waited another ten to fifteen minutes before plugging in the WAN connection. After about ten minutes I plugged in the LAN connection and was again able to get to the router again but, I was still unable to use the WAN connection.

I am using an Arris DOCIS 3.1 cable modem with no internal routing or wifi. I had issues in the past with that type of modem even with bypass mode enabled so I made sure I got a modem with out it. Thanks for anymore assistance and please let me know of any information I can provide to help get this resolved.

For an update. At this point; I am not sure anymore that the NetDuma router is to blame for the problem. Upon connecting my other router to the modem; I am not getting a WAN address on it either. The activity light is on but, no address is being assigned. I am getting an active connection directly from my PC to modem but the routers are not getting IP's assigned to them. Getting my ISP involved to investigate further. I will keep you posted with any updates. Thanks a bunch thus far.

2 hours ago, Skudd said:

For an update. At this point; I am not sure anymore that the NetDuma router is to blame for the problem. Upon connecting my other router to the modem; I am not getting a WAN address on it either. The activity light is on but, no address is being assigned. I am getting an active connection directly from my PC to modem but the routers are not getting IP's assigned to them. Getting my ISP involved to investigate further. I will keep you posted with any updates. Thanks a bunch thus far.

Xfinity?

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to come back and give and update to this. It turns out that the issue was related to the modem and it not assigning my router (NetDuma R2) and IP address. This was the reason for my router WAN connection showing as disconnected. Got a new modem and now my NetDuma gets an IP fine.  Thanks for everyone's input on this thread.

Now I just have to figure out why I keep getting these spikes of high latency and random burst of dropped packets. 😕

Cheers,

Skudd

8 hours ago, Skudd said:

I wanted to come back and give and update to this. It turns out that the issue was related to the modem and it not assigning my router (NetDuma R2) and IP address. This was the reason for my router WAN connection showing as disconnected. Got a new modem and now my NetDuma gets an IP fine.  Thanks for everyone's input on this thread.

Now I just have to figure out why I keep getting these spikes of high latency and random burst of dropped packets. 😕

Cheers,

Skudd

Glad to hear the first issue is fixed.

Do you have both Geo-filter and QoS enabled? Could you provide full screenshots of how they're configured?

I don't believe that I have them enabled. I setup both but, I didn't add a device to the Geo-filter and QoS is not completely configured or being used. I will attach screen shots for you to look at though and see if there is something I should change with my setup to try and alleviate the dropped packets and ping spikes. In the Geo-Filter; there are no settings in "Allow and Deny" and "Auto Ping".

Please let me know if you need more screenshots or info.

NetDuma_Geo-Filter_Skudd.JPG

NetDuma_QoS_Skudd.JPG

OK cool, we've got two good guides on setting these two features up, here's the links for them:

http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000077073-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-qos

http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000077072-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-geo-filter

Let me know if you have any issues and I'll do my best to help! These two features combined should do wonders for your in-game experience!