Geofilter/QoS Help on XR500

I just bought a Nighthawk XR500 (running latest official firmware) but I desperately need help configuring the geofilter/QoS settings.

810mbps down/630mbps up is my total bandwidth. I have my PS4 at 25%, both 4k TV’s at 15% and all other devices have remaining bandwidth allocated equally. I have share excess enabled and both sliders at 70% (when high traffic detected). Is slider setting optimal based on my available bandwidth/devices? I feel like the slider is too low based on my total bandwidth.

Regarding geofilter, I have no idea have to create a optimal profile. I wasted 2 hours on apex getting disconnected 75% of the time. Can somebody give my optimal profiles for the games I play? I mainly play CoD, Destiny 2, Apex and I live in Portland, OR.

I’d greatly appreciate some help because I feel completely lost and the geofilter was the main reason I bought this router along with QoS settings that actually works.
Thanks.

• Administrators

If you have an open NAT already then there is no need to change anything. As you're playing on console all the games you play will be prioritized. I would recommend taking a look at our optimal settings guides here: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/folders/16000090646

If you have any other questions after having a look then let us know and we'll be happy to help.

12 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If you have an open NAT already then there is no need to change anything. As you're playing on console all the games you play will be prioritized. I would recommend taking a look at our optimal settings guides here: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/folders/16000090646

If you have any other questions after having a look then let us know and we'll be happy to help.

I made a few adjustments, please take a look at my original post and tell me what you think.

• Administrators
On 12/31/2020 at 6:56 AM, DHawk12 said:

I just bought a Nighthawk XR500 (running latest official firmware) but I desperately need help configuring the geofilter/QoS settings.

810mbps down/630mbps up is my total bandwidth. I have my PS4 at 25%, both 4k TV’s at 15% and all other devices have remaining bandwidth allocated equally. I have share excess enabled and both sliders at 70% (when high traffic detected). Is slider setting optimal based on my available bandwidth/devices? I feel like the slider is too low based on my total bandwidth.

Regarding geofilter, I have no idea have to create a optimal profile. I wasted 2 hours on apex getting disconnected 75% of the time. Can somebody give my optimal profiles for the games I play? I mainly play CoD, Destiny 2, Apex and I live in Portland, OR.

I’d greatly appreciate some help because I feel completely lost and the geofilter was the main reason I bought this router along with QoS settings that actually works.
Thanks.

You have quite high speeds so you probably won't experience local congestion/bufferbloat too much so I think 70% only applying when gaming should be plenty. Gaming uses barely any bandwidth so you're good on that front.

On Apex you can pick the servers yourself so not as much need to use the Geo-Filter for that game, though we are looking into those errors. For CoD and Destiny 2 you can use the profiles button on the Geo-Filter and select those games, it will then set it based on our initial recommendations.

11 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You have quite high speeds so you probably won't experience local congestion/bufferbloat too much so I think 70% only applying when gaming should be plenty. Gaming uses barely any bandwidth so you're good on that front.

On Apex you can pick the servers yourself so not as much need to use the Geo-Filter for that game, though we are looking into those errors. For CoD and Destiny 2 you can use the profiles button on the Geo-Filter and select those games, it will then set it based on our initial recommendations.

How exactly does the geofilter work? Does it prevent out of radius players from entering my matchmaking pool or does it prevent games from starting (by kicking me) if out of radius players enter the lobby? I followed the apex optimal guide but I think I keep getting kicked due to the game repeatedly trying to put me central us/southern cali servers with “blocked players” in central/east US regions. I picked Oregon data centers and I set 650m radius around Portland although I never saw any NW host servers as shown on Apex optimal guide.

Regarding D2/CoD profiles, what do you recommend adjusting the radius to since Portland, Or is on the edge of the US resulting in half the radius being in the ocean?

• Administrators

The Geo-Filter allows you to connect to a server/host of your choice. If it is a dedicated server game then you cannot influence whether other people connect to the server or not. If it is a P2P game then you could block them specifically. The Apex errors are due to a server we need to whitelist I believe. Select the server in game and use spectating on the Geo-Filter for now.

Instead of changing the radius size just move your home location further inwards so that the same radius covers more land.

On 1/2/2021 at 4:55 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

The Geo-Filter allows you to connect to a server/host of your choice. If it is a dedicated server game then you cannot influence whether other people connect to the server or not. If it is a P2P game then you could block them specifically. The Apex errors are due to a server we need to whitelist I believe. Select the server in game and use spectating on the Geo-Filter for now.

Instead of changing the radius size just move your home location further inwards so that the same radius covers more land.

You guys going to whitelist that server anytime soon? After a ton of trial and error, I found a setting that works (strict, 0 ping assist) but requires NW Wyoming radius of 900 miles, literally nothing less and I’m pretty sure theres a texas server that must be whitelisted.

Also, I noticed for a first time ever that I had packet loss on a local server. Can this be due to using upnp instead of port forwarding? I have always used port forwarding but I was just too lazy to do it this time.

Edit: Nevermind, even that geo setup resulted in a disconnect. It just took longer than usual. I’m debating whether or not I should keep this router now. After trying out all my games and looking over recent threads, it seems like the geofilter no longer works on any popular game (on the XR500 with current official firmware).

• Administrators

I will nudge Alex on this, sorry for the delay. No I don't think so, are you seeing that packet loss on the Apex server selection? I get that randomly so it's just the game. What other games are you trying to play with the Geo-Filter?