Brand New R2- password not working

netdumauser

Just got my R2 and tried to set it up via my MacBook (says "The Wi-Fi network requires a WPA2 password"). No luck on my windows laptop either ("Can't connect to this network." Interestingly enough, if I do put an incorrect pw, the Windows laptop says it's the incorrect pw rather than just "can't connect..."). 

Unfortunately neither of my my laptops have a LAN port to connect directly to the router. My only means of a direct connection is possibly through my ps4 which has a browser and a LAN port. Otherwise I will have to purchase a LAN port adapter to use through usb, but I wouldn't like to have to incur further expense to get a brand new router to work.

Any help? This is brand new, I can't see why it wouldn't connect. My R1 worked just fine.

Thanks in advance...

Screen Shot 2020-12-24 at 2.26.40 PM.png

IMG_5416.jpg

Im assuming you have tried the default password of your R2 Wifi? The sticker on the bottom of the router? If that doesnt work try your wired PS4.. See if you can make headway with that.. If you still have trouble getting the PS4 to connect try resetting the R2..   Currently one has to be wired to the R2 and go through the Setup Wizard.. At that time one can then set your password for your Wifi credentials.. Hope this makes sense.. Post back with your progress and results..

Good luck!

Zippy.

• Administrators

Sorry to hear you're having this issue, unfortunately you would need to make a wired connection to access the interface to then go through the setup wizard where you can change the password and then connect your devices. The console web browser should be able to do this fine.

10 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Sorry to hear you're having this issue, unfortunately you would need to make a wired connection to access the interface to then go through the setup wizard where you can change the password and then connect your devices. The console web browser should be able to do this fine.

Hi Fraser,

I tried to do the setup through the PS4 but I could not get the PS4 to be connected to the NetdumaR2 network. It ignored the LAN connection to the R2 and stayed connected to my other wifi network. When I tried to disconnect that wifi it asked me to set up a new internet connection. I tried via LAN>Easy method but it did not work, I got an error. I tried via LAN>Manual but did not know what details to fill manually. I think it will be much easier to try on a laptop that has a LAN port. Or unfortunately have to purchase a LAN adapter just to try to see if it will work. Although it may sound retarded that I don't have a pc with a LAN port (long story) it would have been useful information to indicate somewhere that a wired connection is specifically required for setup. Thanks for the quick reply though.

I hope it does work though; will let you know how it goes.

35 minutes ago, Zippy said:

Im assuming you have tried the default password of your R2 Wifi? The sticker on the bottom of the router? If that doesnt work try your wired PS4.. See if you can make headway with that.. If you still have trouble getting the PS4 to connect try resetting the R2..   Currently one has to be wired to the R2 and go through the Setup Wizard.. At that time one can then set your password for your Wifi credentials.. Hope this makes sense.. Post back with your progress and results..

Good luck!

Zippy.

Hi Zippy, you assumed correctly!

The default pw at the bottom of the router did not work, also tried the default pw "password" which is the router login even though I knew that isn't the wifi password- but just wanted to try nevertheless. The ps4 unfortunately was a little clunky to use so I opted to try it on pc with a lan port when I have such access, maybe in a few days. If it needs to be wired then I guess that's just the issue. I hope it is! lol Because that's not a big deal, just a little inconvenient to get a pc with a lan port/lan port adapter given my circumstances at the moment.

Thanks for your reply and I will also keep you posted on how it goes!

• Administrators
42 minutes ago, netdumauser said:

Hi Fraser,

I tried to do the setup through the PS4 but I could not get the PS4 to be connected to the NetdumaR2 network. It ignored the LAN connection to the R2 and stayed connected to my other wifi network. When I tried to disconnect that wifi it asked me to set up a new internet connection. I tried via LAN>Easy method but it did not work, I got an error. I tried via LAN>Manual but did not know what details to fill manually. I think it will be much easier to try on a laptop that has a LAN port. Or unfortunately have to purchase a LAN adapter just to try to see if it will work. Although it may sound retarded that I don't have a pc with a LAN port (long story) it would have been useful information to indicate somewhere that a wired connection is specifically required for setup. Thanks for the quick reply though.

I hope it does work though; will let you know how it goes.

Ah understood, no way to disable the WiFi to use the ethernet at all? I'm 100% certain it is just the WiFi password having issues rather than any other issues so it will work once you're able to connect via ethernet and get that changed. Really sorry for the inconvenience. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fraser,

Just wanted to let you know that I was able to set up the router once I used the lan cable to connect the router to the laptop directly. I would reiterate however just for clarity and convenience to new users that the user manual speaks to wirelessly connecting to the router to accomplish the initial setup. I was not ever able to connect to it wirelessly since it simply refused to allow me to connect. The user manual should mention the wired option if the wireless fails. In my case wired was the only way it worked. 

Thank again!

• Administrators
11 hours ago, netdumauser said:

Hi Fraser,

Just wanted to let you know that I was able to set up the router once I used the lan cable to connect the router to the laptop directly. I would reiterate however just for clarity and convenience to new users that the user manual speaks to wirelessly connecting to the router to accomplish the initial setup. I was not ever able to connect to it wirelessly since it simply refused to allow me to connect. The user manual should mention the wired option if the wireless fails. In my case wired was the only way it worked. 

Thank again!

Thank you for the update, really glad that you have managed to get it all sorted now. I have actually told the team that they should adjust the manual to say this as well.

On 1/3/2021 at 4:37 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Thank you for the update, really glad that you have managed to get it all sorted now. I have actually told the team that they should adjust the manual to say this as well.

Fraser- I have this same problem and do not own a laptop with an ethernet port. There must be some solution. I cannot connect at all because the password on the bottom is incorrect. 

• Administrators
7 hours ago, rdegirolamo said:

Fraser- I have this same problem and do not own a laptop with an ethernet port. There must be some solution. I cannot connect at all because the password on the bottom is incorrect. 

Could you try this please:

1. Connect the R2 LAN port to your ISP router WAN/internet port (you won't have internet while you do this)
  2. Connect via WiFi to the ISP router
  3. Access the R2 interface via 192.168.77.1 in your web browser
  4. Go through the setup wizard, set up the WiFi details. When you get to the internet part click the option for you to set it up manually, then skip it on the next page and you can complete it.
  5. When that is all done, reboot the R2 from the interface
  6. After 2 minutes switch everything back the way it is supposed to be
  7. Connect the devices via WiFi to the R2 with the details you applied in the Setup wizard

On 1/8/2021 at 5:47 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you try this please:

1. Connect the R2 LAN port to your ISP router WAN/internet port (you won't have internet while you do this)
  2. Connect via WiFi to the ISP router
  3. Access the R2 interface via 192.168.77.1 in your web browser
  4. Go through the setup wizard, set up the WiFi details. When you get to the internet part click the option for you to set it up manually, then skip it on the next page and you can complete it.
  5. When that is all done, reboot the R2 from the interface
  6. After 2 minutes switch everything back the way it is supposed to be
  7. Connect the devices via WiFi to the R2 with the details you applied in the Setup wizard

Unfortunately in my chrome web browser in my macbook pro says "connecting..." And then "this site can't be reached". I can browse the internet so I am definitely connected via my other router. 

8 minutes ago, rdegirolamo said:

Unfortunately in my chrome web browser in my macbook pro says "connecting..." And then "this site can't be reached". I can browse the internet so I am definitely connected via my other router. 

Nevermind Fraser. I saw your guide in another forum and fixed it via the new password. 

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, rdegirolamo said:

Nevermind Fraser. I saw your guide in another forum and fixed it via the new password. 

Great to hear that, apologies for not linking it at the time, did not verify that was an option until late that evening when I wrote the guide.