Need some help please. Have a strict nat type and double nat on new xbox seris x

Hello, I just recently got the new Xbox series x and when I go to my network settings on my Xbox I am getting a double Nat and a strict Nat type.  My physical setup is just my xr500 nighthawk router connected to the power adapter my ISP provided me since I already had my own router.  I have no modem.  Also my Xbox series x is connected through a wired connection.  Any help would be appreciated! I'm not very good with this stuff.  

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I believe you have a topic on the Netgear forum? If so I've just responded there:

is it a MoCA adapter? The ISP can block ports, the router itself wouldn't give it a double NAT - double NAT shows the device is behind two layers of NAT restrictions. If you have the model of the adapter then we can look at that but I would also contact the ISP to see what they're blocking.

Hey thanks for replying! Yea I posted there as well, I don’t think it’s a moca adapter and sadly don’t know the model number.  I couldn’t upload the picture there so I instead uploaded it here, here how it looks.

AD17C9F8-7CCB-422D-AE75-7035EEAC01B5.jpeg

• Administrators

Okay thank you, okay so could you type my ip into Google and note the result, if it appears very long disable IPv6 in LAN/WAN on the R2. Then redo it and note it down. Then go to the R2 System Information page and note down the WAN IP that it says. Don't tell me what the IPs are but let me know if they're the same or not please, that will give us a good idea of where to go next.

Okay so I typed my ip in google, and then went to my xr500 settings page and I couldn't find IPV6 under the WAN or LAN settings.  I did find an IPV6 setting under advanced settings and it says it is disabled.  Also the ip that I got from google was way different than the WAN IP from system information.

• Administrators

Great thank you, so it's not a public IP which means there is something above the router causing a double NAT. Type 192.168.10.1 into the web browser and hit enter, does it take you to a modem/router interface? If so can you screenshot what you see please?

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Great thank you, so it's not a public IP which means there is something above the router causing a double NAT. Type 192.168.10.1 into the web browser and hit enter, does it take you to a modem/router interface? If so can you screenshot what you see please?

Sounds good I get these options on Google.  Wait did you want me to type 192.168.10.1 or 192.168.10.6?3E0D8B9D-26E8-40F7-86AF-C7EB8DB8BF25.thumb.jpeg.90f2c7f3603bae482ac8175311e674e0.jpeg

• Administrators

Thanks, unfortunately I couldn't provide much information that would be helpful. The adapter that you're plugged into, what is that connected to? Does it go straight into the wall? If so do you know where that goes e.g. into a box on the side of your house or a satellite dish/receiver on the roof?

• Administrators

Okay well it sounds like they are because if you don't have a modem and it truly is just that adapter then you should have no problem getting an Open NAT as you're directly connected. I would suggest giving them a call to ask about this.

• Administrators

Here is what I would ask them, obviously how much you ask depends on what information they give:

• Do you have anything other than that adapter? You get a local IP when directly connected to it which indicates you do. If so do I have access to this/why haven't you told me!
  • Are you blocking any ports?
  • If no to all that, how can you get an Open NAT for gaming?

Just got off the phone with my ISP.  They said they don't have another device other than the adapter.  They said all that they provided me with was with the dish that is on the roof, and the power adapter which is the power supply for the dish.  They also said they are not blocking any ports.  The person who helped me said the nat issue is being caused by nighthawk router.

• Administrators
12 hours ago, skids145 said:

Just got off the phone with my ISP.  They said they don't have another device other than the adapter.  They said all that they provided me with was with the dish that is on the roof, and the power adapter which is the power supply for the dish.  They also said they are not blocking any ports.  The person who helped me said the nat issue is being caused by nighthawk router.

I don't see how that is possible, you don't get a local IP address from an adapter connected to the dish. The NAT issue isn't being caused by the router because you couldn't get an Open NAT when you were directly connected to the adapter - did they have an answer for that? Sounds like they were just trying to blame the router.